Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

benefits question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any help much appreciated on this. I've finally left my day job after eight years... It was making me ill as i was genuinely being victimised and had no chance of getting any assistance. will happily temp But if i ever needed it, can i claim dole havin resigned?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, you can...
    yes you should because the victimisation caused you to have to leave. Thats known as constructive dismissal.
    You should be able to get income support at, I would've thought. Best thing to do would be to see someone at the job centre.
    You can claim job seekers allowance (JSA) if you left for a valid reason, and bullying and victimisation is a valid reason.

Expect to have to fight the DWP every step of the way, though. It's highly likely that at first the decision maker will place a 26 week sanction on you (i.e. no JSA for 26 weeks), and you will need to appeal the decision. The sanction is discretionary (i.e. it doesn't have to be 26 weeks, it can be less), and if you left work because of victimisation it shouldn't be applied at all. It's always worth appealing, and for your information, you have one month to appeal from the date of the decision. You appeal on form GL24.

Any problems with the DWP, give CLS Direct a call on 0845 345 4345.

You cannot get income support if you are able to work, income support is payable strictly to those who are unable to work, either through physical illness or because they care for others. You will be expected to claim JSA.