Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Facebook friends

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Are they real - or just a bunch of fakes?

Read what Sara thinks

:)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All of my friends on myspace and facebook are people i know IRL anyway, cba with adding loads of people i don't know just to look popular. I just joined facebook the other day and have just found my old best friend from primary school who i haven't seen for years!
  • Options
    Have to say I'd agree with that. A lot of people on my Facebook are just passing acquaintances (and whilst I like some of them, I know I'll never see them again once I/they leave my current work). But I don't think people ever pretend that they are anything other than that.

The good thing about the internet is that its easy to make friends with some very interesting people; the bad thing is that its easy to unmake friends when they get boring.
  • Options
    everyone on my friends list apart from 3/4 are people i know in real life and regularly see anyway :)

it's just a great way to keep in touch with friends that have moved away and family
  • Options
    I dont have any facebook friends, because I have no Facebook and no desire to get one. I just dont understand why people let it rule their lives.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Have to say I'd agree with that. A lot of people on my Facebook are just passing acquaintances (and whilst I like some of them, I know I'll never see them again once I/they leave my current work). But I don't think people ever pretend that they are anything other than that.

:grump:

I thought that we were bestest mates an everyfing...
  • Options
    Facebook...good for getting in contact with old childhood school mates if you wish to, other than that I think its gone too OTT. People use it instead of texting now. Who knows what will be next.
  • Options
    i use it to force push my friends and to perform the jedi mind trick on them :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have about 7 friends on facebook. I know 6 of them IRL and am really good friends with them. The other is my hubby!

I mainly like facebook for the applications. I am currently addicted to the Travellers IQ application. It's far too addictive :grump:
  • Options
    Do you not know your hubby IRL then? :p

I use facebook to keep in contact with my uni friends during the day because they are guarunteed to check it more frequently than their emails!
  • Options
    I am currently addicted to the Travellers IQ application. It's far too addictive :grump:

I am on it like fifty times a day!

I have over four hundred friends on Facebook so obviously they are not all my real friends. But, it's a great way to keep in contact with people I met on my year abroad, people from my home town and people from Uni wherever I may be in the world. I can say though, I don't add anyone that I don't know, so of the four hundred, I was either in school with them, dated them, lived with them, worked with them or took a class with them.

If you think about it, in a normal class in Uni there's about thirty people in a semester and I'd add about two or three from each class who i got to know and did a project with etc. I have four or five seminars a week with different people and then three years of study. These people don't half add up. Also I've had three jobs and there were hundred and fifty people in our sixth form.

I don't agree what she says about "what happened to good old phoning up on the birthday". If it's a very close friend, of course I'd do that too, or I'd be with them. But, when you're in a different country because you or they are travelling, Facebook can be very helpful indeed!
  • Options
    The thing is, they should be called 'Contacts' instead of 'Friends'. I think that would help clear up some false pretences. I do find Facebook very useful for keeping in touch with friends who are abroad, and I've also been reunited with lost childhood friends. That has been great. (I also have fun with the applications :o).

I do agree with the OP though, I've had many former schoolmates adding me to their frinds list which I was never EVER friends with while at school. Why they would add me I really don't understand. And yeah, it would feel rude to turn them down... what I do is I usually end up adding them to my limited profile list.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    The thing is, they should be called 'Contacts' instead of 'Friends'. I think that would help clear up some false pretences.

Not really, the original idea of facebook, before applications and opening up for everyone, was to strengthen the sense of community at unis. That's why you can only view the profiles of people in your networks contrary to MySpace.
  • Options
    There's a few things I like about Facebook. The first is that you can keep up to date with what old friends are up to when you might not see them very often any more. I don't really talk to my close friends on Facebook because I see them or at least call them fairly often. And there are plenty of people that might not be your best friends, but you certainly want to stay in touch with and see what they're doing.

And secondly, the groups on Facebook are far better than pretty much any message board. There's no way that I could've posted about an obscure Japanese TV drama series on this website, because no-one will've heard of it. But go onto Facebook, and of course there's a group dedicated to it. They might not have the community of a website like this, but you're more likely to get a more in depth discussion about obscure topics.
  • Options
    I have some huge issues about being added as a "friend" on Facebook. Every single week, when I go out, I will meet/be introduced to people. The majority of them I don't like - I think they're boring, can't ever see a friendship forming between us, don't want to be associated with them etc, we clearly don't click, yet they go and add me as a friend. If I'm inevitably going to see them again eg if we are from the same social circle or go to the same club it's hard to reject them and then be confronted the next time. Additionally I have a lot of random people adding me as a friend, messaging me that we should meet up for a drink and 'network', whatever the hell that means - they probably want help getting a job doing what I do or something. Their approach is very aggressive eg "What time is good for you?" or "Let's go for a drink on Wednesday, cool?", they don't appreciate I barely have time to see my close friends yet alone random people from the internet. If they're a hot-looking girl that's a different matter though lol.
  • Options
    I have to say, I've had the line "are you on facebook??" said to me a few times now when I've been out.. but not just by lads!

I like facebook, its a bit addictive. When you have quite a few social groups and ex-college friends and uni friends and friends you've met on a year abroad it is excellent for keeping in touch, seeing photos, having a nosey and being a bit cheeky/naughty.

Sometimes I get randomers attempting to add me as their friend but I've set my profile to limited now unless I know you so that should sort the losers from my actual mates.
  • Options
    I am on facebook with it set to private to all except my friends and i think people in my university network. But i only add people i have met, even if i have only met them once or twice as a friend of a friend, but i dont add strangers or randomers or anything like. Mostly it is old high school and 6th form friends i have on it and its just good to keep in touch.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Mostly it is old high school and 6th form friends i have on it and its just good to keep in touch.
    Would be cool if Facebook could separate your old schoolfriends network from current mates. Yeah it's cool FriendsReunited style to keep in touch and see where your old mates are now, but when I log in my news feed is full of what events schoolfriends in different towns/countries are going to, their holiday snaps, I couldn't care less, just want to see what my friends I'm currently seeing weekly are up to.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Do you not know your hubby IRL then? :p

I use facebook to keep in contact with my uni friends during the day because they are guarunteed to check it more frequently than their emails!

Nope. I pretend not too! :p
  • Options
    I have three friends on Faceparty - the first is someone who helped me a lot during difficult times last year, the second is a woman I've known for several years, and the third is my closest friend from this site. Whenever I get friends requests from people I don't know, I just click the "Ignore" button.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I have three friends on Faceparty - the first is someone who helped me a lot during difficult times last year, the second is a woman I've known for several years, and the third is my closest friend from this site. Whenever I get friends requests from people I don't know, I just click the "Ignore" button.

Would you ignore me ;)

I have big boobs and want to be your "friend".
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Would you ignore me ;)
    I have big boobs and want to be your "friend".
    Erm... I've changed my mind.

By the way, I have just, out of curiousity, done a search on Facebook for TheSite.org. Much to my surprise, several members showed up in that, most of whom I have never actually heard of before.
  • Options
    This facebook trend is crazy! haha. I'd say on facebook the people I have as friends are people who are my definite friends. on myspace im more likely to have people like, who you met once on a night out and they added you, things like that.

i dont use facebook to get in touch with people from school though! i dont even know how to do that?

i like the music game on facebook where you listen to the song and say who it is :D addictive.
  • Options
    Well facebook isnt as bad as myspace or some of the other ones, myspace can be very fake at times.
  • Options
    I do like my Bebo, never really got Facebook? My Dad started going on about it, was like noooooooooooooooooo Dad you're too old :o

I'm not dead competitive about it though, would rather have 40-50 pals who I can keep in touch with rather than 9579536732676732 randoms who're just to boost the numbers up.

Don't really use it to organise my life, just to blether random stuff and put photos up really.
  • Options
    people who just add others for the sake of it are just sad. by social networks are really good ways of keeping in touch with people you may not see often. plus it's often quicker to use the sites to "chat" to people. embrace the modern technology and stop living in the past.

i don't use it to "organise my life" but it's quite useful for idle chatter with acquantances from the pub and shit like that.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    embrace the modern technology and stop living in the past.

:yes:
  • Options
    Meh i don't really give a dam to be honest, I have facebook/ myspace/ bebo and most of the people I'm friends with are my mates in real life I don't go around randomly adding people to get more 'friends' and i don't accept if randomers add me.

I go on them now and then but I'm not massively fussed about it. I reckon people should stop slagging it off so much though because it's actually a good way to keep in contact with people and its quite useful sometimes.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

Urgh I've stopped going on FaceParty every time I go on there I get at least four emails from complete RANDOM WEIRDOS from my area as well sometimes they say nice stuff like and just normal stuff but most of the time its gross stuff. It's happened to a few of my mates too on there.
  • Options
    Facebook i keep to people ive met. I dont tend to add people myself but its all friends or friends of friends i suppose. Its great for when someone organises a party though, the number of parties i go to has increased since Facebook came about ;)
  • Options
    I dont have any facebook friends, because I have no Facebook and no desire to get one. I just dont understand why people let it rule their lives.

I signed up when I got to uni because I can add the people doing the same course / lectures as me, so got to know people that I knew of in real life but hadn't had the guts to start talking to yet.

But completely agree with the rant, some people let it take over. Same with LiveJournal too.