Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Happiness vs sex drive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Against my doctors wishes I have (slowly) come off my antidepressants and my pill and have noticed my sex drive is slowly returning -WHOOP DE DOOOPPPPPP :D

However, I am very fragile (emotionally) and I have noticed myself suffering from bouts of rage or extreme sadness in the few weeks. I have come off the antidepressants before and lasted about 4 months before I went back on them. I have suffered depression since childhood the drugs have really made a difference, however the lack of sex drive is going to destroy my otherwise fantastic relationship. However, I don't want to have to feel like this for the rest of my life. I need something to numb the pain and the antidepressants do just that. What do I do :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go and see your doctor and see if you can't change your antidepressants.
    nicolalou wrote: »
    Go and see your doctor and see if you can't change your antidepressants.

I have millions of times but she says that its not the antidepressants its because I'm depressed. Even though I'm happier now than I've ever been in my life and my sex drive is the lowest

Also they'll probably just change me onto another SSRI and that group of ADs have been linked to low sex drive generally so there is a chance it'll stay the same. I've changed my pill loads and that hasn't helped so I want to just come off them both. I can't risk another AD doing the same to me because my relationship is at breaking point :(

AAAArghhhh
    Instead of medication is there nothing else that you could do maybe therapy type things to change your thinking, or alternative therapies to see if they can improve anything?
    I;ve had councelling for about 6 months but there doesn't actually seem to be anything that makes me depressed. Particularly because of this I'm advised to stay on the AD. I'm on the waiting list for therapy but the waiting list is long
    Are you sure it's the antidepressents that are causing the low sex drive?

I have recently come off my pill on the advice of my friend as my sex drive was practically non existant and it has made the world of difference!