Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Report: Public transport "is shit"

Well, that's not quite Transport 2000's conclusion, but it might as well be. According to the Beeb: "Public transport has too many weak links making it difficult to switch from one mode to another, a report by an environmental group has found. Travellers polled for a Transport 2000 survey said buses did not connect with train times and stations had insecure cycle parking and poorly-lit footpaths. The poll also showed only 29% thought bus timetables were clear and accurate." Click here for the details >>

I used public transport to get to and from work for several years. I have been driving for two months now. Frankly, I wished I'd learnt to drive much sooner. I hated sharing a bus home on a Saturday night with some brash, drunken moron. I hated the fact that fares seemed to go up every single year, and always in August when the tourists were around. I hated the fact the buses were slow and unreliable - miss one connection and I might have to wait two hours for the next bus. With my car, no such worries!

And I save money by using my car. To get to and from work each day by public transport (two buses) used to cost me £4.60. As I work a six-day week, that brings the cost to £27.60 per week! My car needs re-fuelling once every nine or ten days, I put £20 in it at a time. That means it costs me just £2 per day if I use the car. That's less than half the cost of going on the buses. Frankly, any politician who thinks he can get me out of my car and back onto buses can fuck off!

So, do you use public transport? If you do, what do you reckon? How much does it cost you? If not, why don't you? Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the way it's pput in london is good

'my other car is a bus'

noone would get anywhere in cities if EVERYONE used car

opposite is true in empty areas

use car when appropiate, use train/bus when appropiate
  • Options
    I don't because I detest it, also round here journeys take twice as long as they go round different villages and stuff, its annoying as hell.

Wish I could get away £20 every ten days though lol.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Well, that's not quite Transport 2000's conclusion, but it might as well be. According to the Beeb: "Public transport has too many weak links making it difficult to switch from one mode to another, a report by an environmental group has found. Travellers polled for a Transport 2000 survey said buses did not connect with train times and stations had insecure cycle parking and poorly-lit footpaths. The poll also showed only 29% thought bus timetables were clear and accurate." Click here for the details >>

I used public transport to get to and from work for several years. I have been driving for two months now. Frankly, I wished I'd learnt to drive much sooner. I hated sharing a bus home on a Saturday night with some brash, drunken moron. I hated the fact that fares seemed to go up every single year, and always in August when the tourists were around. I hated the fact the buses were slow and unreliable - miss one connection and I might have to wait two hours for the next bus. With my car, no such worries!

And I save money by using my car. To get to and from work each day by public transport (two buses) used to cost me £4.60. As I work a six-day week, that brings the cost to £27.60 per week! My car needs re-fuelling once every nine or ten days, I put £20 in it at a time. That means it costs me just £2 per day if I use the car. That's less than half the cost of going on the buses. Frankly, any politician who thinks he can get me out of my car and back onto buses can fuck off!

So, do you use public transport? If you do, what do you reckon? How much does it cost you? If not, why don't you? Over to you...

Apparantly it is cheaper to use public transport than it is to use a car. Even if you use a taxi to get to work. I know it is only 2 pound a day for your petrol but think of insurance/road tax/repairs.

I agree, public transport in North Wales is terrible. It is getting better though. I used the bus a few weeks ago to get from Rhyl to Denbigh and they are every ten minutes now. Took me by suprise, back in the day they used to be every half an hour, so that is definitely an improvement!

Trains could be better for the prices we pay, but I am a big fan of pulic transport as it does stop us using our cars. More can be done, but in places like North Wales, it is hard and cars are normally neccesary which is a shame.
  • Options
    Public transport in my area is quite good. There's a big bus station in town and buses go all over the place. There's a bus every half hour from my road into town. And there's a train every hour from my local station into the city. I get away with half fares though because I'm a student but otherwise it would be very expensive. I also use trains to go long distance quite alot too and they're usually on time, but crowded and i've had a few times where we've all been kicked off in birmingham because of a fault on the train.
  • Options
    i used to get the train from Ramsgate to Chatham 4 times a week for uni, i hated it, it was always late, full of kids and costs way to much, and then i had to walk to the station in ramsgate and from Chatham to uni about 30min walk away, it takes way to long and costs to much, after a couple of months i just drove, even in my big car it only costs about £15 round trip in fuel,
  • Options
    I use it, but only because for me personally, walking into town isn't exactly safe and it costs me nothing. I dread to think how much I would've spent had I actually needed to pay for it.

Then there's the cost of the car, tax, parking and insurance...
  • Options
    Transport in London isnt bad at all (some parts of the tube are pretty shit). Public transport is vital in London as the city would grind to a halt if everyone drove.

Around the rest of the UK, I think public transport is slow, expensive and is some cases non- exsistant.

But I could have told Transport 2000 that years ago.
  • Options
    London transport is fairly good for going into Central London but pretty poor on the whole for going round it.

The only orbital route in the North which is Silverlink does not even have proper interchanges with most of the lines, and you can't use Oyster Pre-pay on it yet. Also the service is simply too infrequent.

Most bus routes go all over the place rather than along one main route, and if you have to change buses and you are using Oyster Pre-pay you pay for each bus rather than for the whole journey.

In addition, buses stop far too often and it is not unknown for a bus to just sit there "killing time".
  • Options
    In addition, buses stop far too often and it is not unknown for a bus to just sit there "killing time".

This happens in Plymouth. I used to go to a work placement that was about 4 miles from my home. I used to have to catch the 7.30 bus and sometimes the bus driver would just sit there for about 5 minutes before moving again even though there no-one waiting for that bus.

TBH, bus fare is stupidly expensive. It used to me nearly £2 just to get from the hospital to town. (which really isn't that far, but not walkable because of the roads)
  • Options
    i'm guessing london is much better than the rest of the country but still ridiculously expensive, where i am SW trains pretty much have a monopoly so they can do what they like....privatisation hasn't helped at all because now they're only accountable to the shareholders and not public interest, it's a big conflict....squeeze every last penny out of the customer and then look the other way when you have casualties in a crash because you skimped on maintenance. bastards. still generally better than driving in rush hours though, don't get me started on roadworks lol.
  • Options
    Transport is shit and overpriced here.

But hey, it's Britain, what do you expect.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Then there's the cost of the car, tax, parking and insurance...

Which if you've already paid for, there's not much point trying to convince you to use public transport. Public transport may offer you a viable reason not to buy a car. It certainly doesn't offer a viable reason not to use a car you've already paid for in most cases.
  • Options
    I cant drive so i pretty much use public transport to go places. I cant say ive had any problem with trains really. Buses are more annoying... i need to go to Luton every day for the next two weeks and the only way is by bus. It takes an hour and a half to go about 20 miles because of all the stops in little places. :|
  • Options
    I have a car but my boyfriend uses it as he works further from where we live. We live in London, so the public transport isn't bad. I hate the tube with a passion, (mainly due to the nasty 'air' supply - if you can even call it air) but even though I'm living in Clapham/Brixton and my uni is in Euston, I can just hop on one bus and it takes me there. I'll be further away in some hospitals this year, but again, one tube ride and one bus ride. It would be insane for me to try to get there by car, and with the student discounts, I don't really feel I'm in a position to complain, as the transport gets me from A to B on time.
  • Options
    Most of my train experience has been First North Western, Virgin and Arriva Wales, and the sheer incompetence in dealing with any sort of crisis is staggering (and you'd think they'd have had enough practice). Both of my destinations are a bit out of the way, but still, I really can't wait to get to Japan. Until then, I'm using the car.
  • Options
    the bus network should of never been deregulated around the UK :s

london's transport system is perfectly adaptable to other cities of the UK, part from the tube section - but it's buses are good too, they are regular, but not too regular it's pointless, and they're cheaper too

reason buses stop is that they're ahead of schedule so they delay themselves, so that if people are going to get that bus they don't miss it and have to wait longer than normal, which is far more frustrating

should be that you either use car where public transport cant service well to an a transport hub on the edge of cities and go from there, which lots of people do, or using car to go shopping only when you're travelling awkwad places for big objects

and more importantly encouraging car sharing and moped usage is a good bet
  • Options
    should be that you either use car where public transport cant service well to an a transport hub on the edge of cities and go from there, which lots of people do, or using car to go shopping only when you're travelling awkwad places for big objects

But if there are situations where you might need a car, and therefore you've already invested a lot of money into owning one, it's hard to convince someone not to use it. If I lived in a big city with a decent public transport system, I wouldn't buy a car. But if I moved to a big city with my car that I've already paid for, I certainly wouldn't use public transport unless it was beneficial to do so, which in most cases it isn't.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    And I save money by using my car. To get to and from work each day by public transport (two buses) used to cost me £4.60. As I work a six-day week, that brings the cost to £27.60 per week!

Why didn't you get a weekly bus pass for £15? or a monthly one saving you even more money?
  • Options
    i get a monthly bus pass for £32 which means i can get any bus throughout Newport and as far as Cwmbran or most of way to cardiff.

single covers you anywhere within Newport for £1.05 and most places are pretty easy to get to and buses are regular, from mine to town is every 15 mins.

buses to cardiff are usually every 20 mins and buses to various other points from central bus station

don't know about trains as i never get them :D
  • Options
    Just out of interest, does anyone's work contribute towards their transport costs?
  • Options
    Just out of interest, does anyone's work contribute towards their transport costs?

My current employer would give me a loan for a bicycle.
  • Options
    My prospective employer will reimburse my transport costs, or pay for the hire of a bike. But that's in Japan. Apparently it's pretty common practice over there, so I was wondering if anyone's company did that over here (for jobs without a company car).
  • Options

My medical school used to cover some transport costs for some students, but not any longer. I don't know what the official line is this year. My boyfriend's former employer would pay for his travel expenses.
  • Options
    nope, just pay it out of my usual monthly wage
  • Options
    Public transport is great for getting into a city centre. For getting anywhere else it's shite.
    What we need are busses that as well as going into town centres they go around the outskirts going to the other ten thousand destinations someone might want to go.

Besides, each journey I take on a bus takes me 3 times as long than if I went in a car. I can leave for work 20 minutes before my shift and arrive with time to spare. To get a bus would take 1 1/2 hours.
  • Options
    Apparently it's pretty common practice over there, so I was wondering if anyone's company did that over here (for jobs without a company car).

I'm technically employed by my agency as a consultant so I get about £25 a week in travel expenses. My train ticket only costs £13.80 a week and that only one way as I get a lift home.

I like trains, they do run mainly ion time and the connection through Brighton are quite good. The local buses around Brighton are good, but quite expensive. My monthly ticket used to cost nearly £50 but I could use it on all services every day of the week. I refuse to use the Stagecoach bus service in Worthing, overpriced and crap.
  • Options
    People say that a car is more expensive, which is partly true. The initial costs are huge, such as tax and insurance. It's also more expensive if you have an unreliable car that uses fuel like it's going out of fashion. Mind you, driving has been surprisingly cheap for me. I don't have an expensive, new car. My insurance costs a tad over £600 - impressive for a 22-year old man who's just passed his test, I think!
    Wish I could get away £20 every ten days though lol.
    That surprised me as well. Either way, it's so much cheaper than bussing it.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Why didn't you get a weekly bus pass for £15? or a monthly one saving you even more money?
    Because buses in my area are run by three different companies, and bus passes were non-transferable.
  • Options
    Trains may well be hugely overpriced, but they can be the most civilised way to travel, far nicer than flying.

Generally I dislike driving, its stressful, expensive and nasty - that and I cant read my book while doing it.

In London unless you are in a few odd places the transport is good, fast and reliable.
  • Options
    I like driving mid & long distance though for city use the car sucks.

I love the train and would like to use it but face with the indescribably exhorbitant prices they demand for tickets I end up driving. A recent trip to Newcastle was £70 cheaper by car than by train- and that was for just two of us.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I love the train and would like to use it but face with the indescribably exhorbitant prices they demand for tickets I end up driving. A recent trip to Newcastle was £70 cheaper by car than by train- and that was for just two of us.

If you book in advance you can get dirt cheap fares on that line.