Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A Day in The Life of a Veggie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not a veggie but if anyone wants to fill out what a typical day is like for you (food and drink wise) then would be cool to read about it.

Right from Time you wake up to what you have for dinner.

Also interested to know if you take any supplements

Comments

• Options
    Here is my day today, I must add that I eat quite strictly at the moment because I'm trying to burn a bit of fat off before my winter bulk up starts..

6:15am - 3 weetabix & protein shake (shake not essential lol)

9:15am - 4 slices Quorn Turkey with cranberry with salad and helmans low fat mayo in a sarnie - with orange juice

going forward I'll be having

12:30pm - Small baked potato with ~150g cottage cheese

3:30pm - Small serving wholeweat pasta with red pesto & protein shake

6:30pm - Snack on small handful of nuts

Approx. 8pm - Omlette with chives, maybe a small bit of cheese & glass of milk.

Also got a banana to eat at some point to kill the hunger pangs when I feel neccesary..

If you want more I got more lol :D

Forgot to add - drinkwise, I drink water all day long, get through about 5 litres.
  • Options
    Morning - Nothing, usually spend half an hour throwing up because of the medication i took the night before.

Lunch - Usually sandwich, yesterday was cheese and wholegrain mustard with spring onions and some cucumber grown by our lovely neighbours.

Dinner - Usually cook something from scratch, yesterday was mushroom Stroganoff and tagliatelle which Leigh had too. He's quite good actually and doesn't mind veggie food so i treat him to steak quite often :)

Sometimes make the veggie alternative to something with veggie mince like chilli, bolognaise, lasagne or just have a plate of veg.

Snack - Half a bag of onion rings watching Family Guy :D
  • Options
    So far I've had some toast and a banana, I'm planning on a very exciting lunch of ... wait for it ... pasta with mayo on because the Tesco shop won't be here by then and I don't have anything else. Oh and another banana because they're going spotty and really need eating. For dinner tonight I'm making carrot and corriander soup but without any bread because I forgot to order any. Tomorrow my sister is coming to stay so I'm going to make homemade pizzas.
  • Options
    mmm home made pizzas!!

I make them with wholemeal flour, cant wait, Im going to make some with my kid this week
  • Options
    So far I've had some toast and a banana, I'm planning on a very exciting lunch of ... wait for it ... pasta with mayo on because the Tesco shop won't be here by then and I don't have anything else. Oh and another banana because they're going spotty and really need eating. For dinner tonight I'm making carrot and corriander soup but without any bread because I forgot to order any. Tomorrow my sister is coming to stay so I'm going to make homemade pizzas.

Argh that doesn't sound very filling!
  • Options
    She did say she hardly has any food in!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

I've got an extra filling for you..:flirt:
  • Options
    I've got an extra filling for you..:flirt:

:lol:

Cheese must be an important part of your veggie diet non?
  • Options
    haha - in more ways than one
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    I was a veggie for like, two weeks after I watched Chicken Run !
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    It's ok now, Tesco amazingly delivered my shop about 2 minutes into the time slot, so now I have lots of food. So now I am making potato wedges and salad for lunch with WATERMELON (:yum:x100) for pudding. And for dinner I'm doing cheese and onion slices with veg and mashed potato. Ooh, yum :D
  • Options
    I'm having quorn curry with long grain rice for supper :yum:
  • Options
    im not veggie but probably dont have meat about 3/4 days of the week.

usually have cereal for breakfast, crackerbreads with philidelphia cheese for lunch, then something like jacket potato with cheese/beans, pasta with a tomato based sauce, omellete with chilli beans and salad, veggieburger on a bagel.
    snacks-yoghurt/fruit/minimilks/mars planets!!
  • Options
    Just looking at the coca cola UK website and noticed this:

None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are:
    • 'Fanta' Orange and 'Fanta' Zero Orange
    • 'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero
    • 'Five Alive' Squash Citrus Burst
    • 'Five Alive' Squash Tropical Hit
    • 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar
    • 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash no added sugar
    • 'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit with Calcium
    • 'Schweppes' Slimline Orange Crush
    • 'Schweppes' Deuce no added sugar Orange & Guava
  • Options
    ridiculous
  • Options
    ridiculous

I really would never have pinned you for a veggie!

I'm not but most of the time I make vegetarian meals at home. So like on Wednesday I ate the following:

B'fast branflakes with yoghurt and strawberries.

3 pieces of fudge at work

lunch: 2 falafels in pitta bread with hummus and salad and an apple.

Dinner: Vegetable curry with rice and 2 very small chocolates for desert. I'm mildly obsessed by vegetable curry its just so nice and far nicer than meat sometimes.

I'm not sure I could handle being a vegan though. However i've never really understood people who are vegetariand yet eat pretend meat - vegetables are lovley and pretend meat as far as I can tell is mostly chemicals.......
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could handle being a vegan though. However i've never really understood people who are vegetariand yet eat pretend meat - vegetables are lovley and pretend meat as far as I can tell is mostly chemicals.......

I'm not a vegetarian any more although I was for 6 years. I now eat chicken, turkey and fish. But I have always liked some "pretend meat" products, especially cauldron sausages. Yum YUM. Linda Mcartney's sausage rolls are nice too.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    katchika wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian any more although I was for 6 years. I now eat chicken, turkey and fish. But I have always liked some "pretend meat" products, especially cauldron sausages. Yum YUM. Linda Mcartney's sausage rolls are nice too.

I love Linda McCartney's sausage rolls. :yum:

I'm not veggie but was for a while at uni. It was much easier, especially as I lived with 2 veggies and we used to cook together.

My day would consist of:
    Breakfast - frosties and milk
    Snack - crisps or piece of fruit
    Lunch - Sandwich - probably cheese with things in it - either a bit of salad, or just as a toastie
    Snack - fruit / nuts
    Dinner - risotto / curry / macaroni cheese / fajitas / etc. I would make things like lasagne, but would just replace the meat with lots of veggies.

I enjoyed it and would go back to it if it wasn't so complicated. He likes his meat and it can be awkward to make 2 different meals each night.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

Hum but vegetable fingers and those more vegetable based burgers which are similar are about 3 billion times nicer than a pretend meat one.
  • Options
    Hum but vegetable fingers and those more vegetable based burgers which are similar are about 3 billion times nicer than a pretend meat one.

I disagree. I don't even see it as pretend meat. Just because it's in the shape of a sausage. It's not trying to taste like a sausage.

Things like fake bacon look vile though! I've never eaten them but just the idea is nasty.
  • Options
    I'm not vegeterian, but do eat meat substitutes, and only eat chicken, turkey and fish. My fave meat sub at the moment is Tesco's Mexician bean burgers :)

Typically have:
    Breakfast: Branflakes- no milk, but mixed up in yoghurt and sliced pear.
    10: Pear or banana
    Lunch: Wholemeal pitta with chicken, salad, or wholemeal pasta salad.
    3pm: Yoghurt
    Dinner: Last night was chicken and homemade chips.
  • Options
    Today, eating is a bit weird as its the morning after :( so just eaten the first thing I could lay my hands on

Breakfast/dinner - half a spinach and ricotta pizza and half a quorn pasty.
    Tea - veggie lasagna with stir fried greens
    Pudding - lemon ice lolly and a home made banana sultana flapjack

Have got tomorrows meals planned out as I'm working 9-5 and then 7-12. It will be...

Breakfast - cornflakes or toast, possibly both!
    Dinner - egg sandwich, potato salad (homemade), apple and flapjack
    Tea - either stir fry or pasta n sauce depending on traffic

Also muchos coffee, disgusting plastic cup from machine in first job, then swanky freshly ground in second.
  • Options
    ridiculous

I'm not a veggie, but I do agree.
  • Options
    I really would never have pinned you for a veggie!

/QUOTE]

lol, why not? I usually get that reaction mind you..

As far as faux meat, why not>? It's tastes nice and lots of people stop eating meat at older ages for ethical reason and it's a substitue.

Wanna know what makes me laugh? People who don't understand "pretend meat" but understand "bacon fries" or "scampi fries" which have no bacon/scampi in them, or "bacon" "beef" etc flavour crisps - ??
  • Options
    I started converting to a plant based diet around Easter and am currently taking supplements until I am completely in the swing of things. *Mental note, order a Thai cook book*

My diet is pretty strict and limits what I can buy, so I cook pretty much everything from fresh. There's a lot that vegans can't eat that are in most processed food, be it shellac, whey, albumen or honey. You need to read every label if you're unsure... It can be a pain in the arse unless you're a health freak or unless you really like cooking.

But typically, a day goes like this....

Breakfast
    - Beans on toast or soy sausage buttie (when it's cold or as hangover food)
    - Chopped banana with rolled oats, seeds (normally hemp or pumpkin *mental note two: stock up on seeds), dried fruit, sometimes nuts and a vegan yogurt
    - Black coffee and/or fresh orange juice
    - Fruit

Lunch
    - Hummus with things to dip in it... For example, pitta bread, chopped carrot, chopped courgette ect. A tip my friend showed me yesterday is to put a tiny splash of olive oil and squeeze a wedge of lemon in to the hummus. It's lush. :yum:
    - Baked potato with filling
    - Bagel or pitta with filling
    - Vegan pizza
    - Noodles or stir fry

Dinner/tea
    There's loads that could be put here... But these are my favourites...
    - Crispy tofu in tomato and chilli sauce
    - Mushroom and ginger rice
    - Curried potatos (and parsnips goes well in this)
    - Roasted root vegetables, nut roast and veggie gravy

Then there's...

Snacks
    - Green & Blacks do some really good dairy free chocolate
    - Flapjacks are cheap and easy to make
    - Fruit

Booze
    - Grolsch
    - Carlsberg
    - Heinneken (spl?)
    - Millers (I think... Can't remember if it's this one)
    - Hoegarden
    - Strongbow
    - Woodpecker
    - Weston's Organic ciders
    - Most spirits, but not fortified wines. A lot of wines are fined with isinglass and albumen too.
  • Options

well thats just down to personal taste surely?

Im a lapsed vegetarian. I was veggie for many years and it was for ethical reasons more than not liking meat so meat substitutes were great, although i do like vegetabley things too.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Just looking at the coca cola UK website and noticed this:

None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour.

No vegetarians eat fish or fish products. A fish is an animal and vegetarians don't eat anything derived from the slaughter of animals. :banghead:

The Vegetarian Society ran a campaign last year to make people aware of that. If you eat fish products, then you are not a vegetarian, but a pescatarian. It annoys me when people say that they're "vegetarian" but eat say... Shellfish. When I was vegetarian there were so many places which labelled fish dishes with the V logo and you just couldn't trust any of their other dishes. It really gets on my tits, you know?

I'm fine with people consuming animals if they feel they have to, I mean do the hell what you want. But don't label yourself as vegetarian or vegan if you're not going to live that lifestyle, if you shout out about it too then it gives people stupid ideas about what it really is.

Sorry... Just a rant there.
  • Options
    I'm not a veggie anymore, I was for 6 years but now I eat fish. I don't call myself a vegetarian anymore but I still see myself as mostly veggie because my diet has hardly changed (eat fish about once a month). I still don't eat anything with animal products in. I wish there was a nicer word for it than pescesarian. It just makes me sound like a pest

Today - Breakfast - English Muffin
    Dinner - Multiseed baguette with cheese, mushrooms and jalepenos
    Tea - Vegetable stir fry with onion, mushroom. peppers, leeks and cabbage with rice noodles. I want satay sauce but the man doesn't like it so it will have to be chow mein :grump:
  • Options
    I've been veggie for about 12 years now. In a typical day I'd eat:

Breakfast - Toast / croissants and jam

Lunch - jacket potato with sweetcorn or coleslaw
    - toasted sandwich (cheese & onion or whatever)

Dinner - veggie fajitas
    - roasted veg & halloumi with couscous
    - veggie burger in bun with potato wedges
    - veggie pie & veg

I tend to snack alot on cake, biscuits, frut etc - just cos I have a really fast metabolism and need to eat alot so I don't get too thin!