Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Waxing causes spots?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I have really annoying and long bits of hair at the back & sides of my neck (normally everyone does but mine are extra long coz my hair is so long).

So, I get them waxed so that when my hair is tied back my neck looks tidy.

Thing is, I had it done again today and I have noticed that within a day I get lots of spots on the back of my neck. Kind of like pimple spots, and they take AGES to go..like weeks.

Anyone know why this might be?

-Jess-

Comments

• Options
    I would imagine it's hair folicles (holes) from having the hairs removed getting infected. A pimple, with pus, is a sure sign of an infection. Your waxer should put on (or do it yourself) a decent anti-bacterial solution (e.g. antiseptic like Dettol) after the treatment has finished and this will help prevent the folicles getting infected.
  • Options
    Either that or ingrowing hairs. But if it's so soon after waxing, RubberSkin's explanation is more likely.
  • Options
    I get this sometimes with my bikini wax and in fact am experiencing it at the moment!

The beautician has a cream she sometimes uses (will try and find out the name for you) and this really calms down the area - bloody expensive though and I have never thought to buy some. This time round she didn't put any on and although I have used aloe vera in the same way I always do it hasn't helped so I think I will have to invest!

They should go after a week or so though... make sure you keep exfoliating!
  • Options
    Anything that irritates the skin can cause spots or bumps.

never waxed (being a guy) but with shaving if you shave too close you can get skin bumps and also if you don't have any lube to help the blade slide over your skin without irritating it.
  • Options
    You should use a Tea Tree oil cream after waxing and reapply once or twice a day - it soothes the area and is a natural antiseptic that should prevent those spots. Also lightly exfoliating the area will stop ingrowing hairs (- a tea tree oil exfoliating cream would be good).
  • Options
    Actually anything which keeps the skin moist should help

Bio-oil would be good as well as it has the following ingredients

http://www.bio-oil.info/en/technical/ingredients

Vitamin A
    Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate on the label) helps improve the skin’s elasticity, texture and tone.

Vitamin E
    The most widely used antioxidant in skincare products today, Vitamin E increases the moisture content of the epidermis, thereby making the skin softer, smoother and more supple. Vitamin E also assists in the proliferation and maintenance of healthy skin.

Calendula oil

Calendula Officinalis, more commonly referred to as marigold, has been used for centuries as a natural antioxidant and has the ability to clarify and condition the skin, while providing soothing and calming benefits for sensitive skin types.

Lavender oil

Lavender oil is widely known to have skin conditioning properties, and is also effective in calming and soothing the skin.

Rosemary oil

Rosemary oil helps to invigorate and condition the skin, in addition to having calming and soothing properties.

Chamomile oil
    Chamomile has a calming and soothing effect and is particularly beneficial for sensitive skin. It also helps to condition and clarify the skin and assists in maintaining its natural health.
  • Options
    I once waxed under my nose (I really had no need as my hair's blonde and you can't even see it!), half the wac stuck and I was left with a tash of spots :(
  • Options
    Hmmmm thanks for all the tips - will try them and see :-)

Thanks guys! :hyper: