Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Texting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you've met someone in a bar or something, and you end up swapping numbers, and they text you, does their text style put you off?

A really nice guy asked for my number this weekend, and he's just text me to say hey, and I can barely understand his message it's so full of 'text-speak'. Call me old fashioned, but I think it's nice if a text is at least legible!

Comments

• Options
    It does a bit.

Really boring conversation in texts doesn't help either, especially seeing as I like to keep my sentimental texts :blush:

"hi wat u bn up 2 babe?xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    "nt a lot babe, went nd got anuva gf cuz she duznt txt in annying txt spk"

Bit harsh maybe, but you get the point :yes:
  • Options
    If you've met someone in a bar or something, and you end up swapping numbers, and they text you, does their text style put you off?

A really nice guy asked for my number this weekend, and he's just text me to say hey, and I can barely understand his message it's so full of 'text-speak'. Call me old fashioned, but I think it's nice if a text is at least legible!

It would be slightly off putting, text speak can be a tad annoying/illegible.
  • Options
    I personally find that it doesn't say much about the person as such whether they use text speak or not. A really nice fella I met earlier this year works correcting grammar but usually uses some text speak when on MSN or texting with me. I'm not bothered as he's very charming in person and that's where I want to enjoy his company the most anyway! I'd totally be put off if it was the other way around, haha.

So no, I wouldn't use somebody's texting style against them if I had met them in 'RL' and liked them then.
  • Options
    It would be slightly off putting, text speak can be a tad annoying/illegible.

:yes:

If I cant read a text then I will simply delete it and tell the other person to make them legible in the future.
  • Options
    I can tolerate the odd '2' or 'u' but most of the time, it just makes you look illiterate and common. Call me a snob if you wish but I think text speak is disgusting.
  • Options
    I can tolerate the odd '2' or 'u' but most of the time, it just makes you look illiterate and common. Call me a snob if you wish but I think text speak is disgusting.

:yes: It's also very hard to understand.
  • Options
    it would probably put me off but then i'm very picky!!

but.. you say he was lovely so try not to let it put you off. how bad was it?!
  • Options
    Yeah it would :yes:
  • Options
    everyone should use predictive text. it's probably the best thing ever.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    everyone should use predictive text. it's probably the best thing ever.

I love when you get messages that people have obviously wrote in a hurry using predictive text and it says a really random word in the middle of a sentence, nothing to do with the rest of the text at all. haha. I hate predictive text. But I don't use txt speak either. I just write them normally, is that so hard? hehe.

I do use the occasional u or 2. thats about it though.
  • Options

I completely agree, if you cant manage to spell it out properly don't send it.

I find text messages a largely rubbish form of communication anyway.
  • Options
    Plus if he is trying to fit everything into just one text to save money doesn't that make him look like a bit of a cheapskate - ohh go me you can tell i'm old...
  • Options
    I once got a message from my dad saying 2nite. I was quite creeped out and told him never again :p

I hate hate hate hate talking on the phone, but if somebody were to write "hi wubu2 bbe?" I think I'd have to just call. It might put me off a little as I'd think, Huh? Probably spend too long trying to figure it out and never text him back out of pure confusion. But if he were a good guy you could just try to get it thru that he can only call from now on :p
  • Options
    one of my bestfriends texts like this..its a fun game to deceipher what the hell she meant. she certainly isnt thick or anything..just uses text language.
  • Options
    It would absolutely put me off because the english language is beautiful and shouldn't be ruined like that! I don't mind the 'what u been up2's' or the 'how ru' but all this 'nm bbz, wb' is just bollocks!

If someone text me using language like that they would sooooo be out the door.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    I don't mind the 'what u been up2's'

Even that is a step way too far for me.
  • Options
    i actually get to the stage of using things like colons in text messages.

a example of a recent text i sent:

"Haha no wayyy! I'm just going to read as much as possible: at the end of the day we won't be the only ones without it done."

i totally understand you being put off, but don't let it be the only reason. one of my best mates tlks lyk ths wn she txt me but i love her regardless because she's a lovely, lovely person. give him another chance. (:
  • Options
    Text talk doesn't put me off too much as long as it isn't over the top but I absolutely hate people that can't spell and get their too/two/to and there/their/they're mixed up!

I can put up with bad spelling if I like the person enough in real life, but if it is someone I just met and relying on seeing them again from texting I probably wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    Call me old fashioned, but I think it's nice if a text is at least legible!

:lol:

"Old fashioned"? Since when we're texts ever legible?

It can be headwrecking like when people go too far and it really is a "wtf you just write there?" thingy. However, I don't care about using stuff like "2, 4, u." I use them myself.
  • Options
    ye. i find txt tlk rly hrd 2 rd 2. if a grl cnt txt me in English, thn u shuldnt bothr.

Took fucking ages to write that bollocks.
  • Options
    Yeah one of my boyfriends used to text like this (no joke)

'Elo bbz did u wna meet up 2nyt or go c a flm init gt a 3 hse this wknd as wel tb lv u lts xxx'

I still speak to him occasionally and he still texts like that !

My mum has started texting 'lol' and my dad texts 'he ee e e ' .. bless
  • Options
    The text talk I really hate is when people mis-spell a word, yet use the same amount of characters as the word uses when spelt correctly. Such as 'lyke' or 'thankz'. Surely the whole purpose of text language is to give information in the shortest way possible, which excuses a lot of the abbreviations people use, but 'lyke' is just annoying!
  • Options
    I think its OK if theres the occasional short hand like u, 2 things like that because sometimes you need to save space for your character limits.

But people who write every word without vowels and stuff its a bit annoying and childish (reminds me of the 10 year old idiots you get on forums who say really insulting comments all in text speak and get completely flamed lol)

That said I don't think its a reflection of peoples personality. I have a friend who does that but she is nothing like her text style would make you think.

-Jess-
  • Options
    The text talk I really hate is when people mis-spell a word, yet use the same amount of characters as the word uses when spelt correctly. Such as 'lyke' or 'thankz'. Surely the whole purpose of text language is to give information in the shortest way possible, which excuses a lot of the abbreviations people use, but 'lyke' is just annoying!

I totally agree with you! What is the point - why not just write the proper word?! Grrrr
  • Options
    I've been txting this girl I met on Saturday, she's a little bit quirky, she talks in the third person sometimes, says things like "chantelle doesn't like that", which i think is cute but a little weird.

She has been txting me and although not too much txt talk which i don't mind much but she spelt design as desighn and gay as guy. She sent me this txt later which i thought was funny because i don't know if she's just being silly or she really is a genuine mong lol as my mate so nicely put it.

"oh well thats a bit rood not textin bk, as i see it i shud be the most inportent thing on your agenda wouldint u agree?"

She can't seriously spell rude as rood? can't be that "stoopid" can she? lol

Oh well it reminded me of this thread.

Exactly. Why would you spell 'inportent' wrong on purpose if it's not to save space in a text?
  • Options
    If you can't be arsed to type the word, then I can't be arsed to reply...
  • Options
    Depends really. If he was super fit with a great personality and i fancied him like mad then no, if I wasn't over keen and needed some serious wooing then it may.
  • Options
    Exactly. Why would you spell 'inportent' wrong on purpose if it's not to save space in a text?

I'd try to give them the benefit of the doubt on that. I think I spell words right but the phone just gives me random letter nonwords alot. And I don't look at the screen so I can't tell until I get the "what?" message back. But then again if they were using the third person... the doubt's probably gone. (No offense to hantel of course ;))