Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Hangovers and Tablets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

Went out for results day last night and had quite a bit to drink and had a hangover today. We only had paracetamol so took a tablet of it which didn't help much etc. Much later in the day took some Nurofen (Ibuprofen) which practically killed the headache there and then.

Anyways I was reading up on hangovers just now and noticed that Alcohol + Paracetamol is a potentially lethal combination, which I found strange as I checked the instructions before I took it and there was no mention of this on the package or the internal instructions, which seems a bit irresponsible surely. It only seems to be Paracetamol (of the headache tablets) which doesn't like Alcohol so it's safe to take Nurofen the day after or what? Aspirin is sometimes recommended but I thought that Aspirin wasn't as popular these days so have never taken it.

So what's safe to take, and what isn't? - Obviously not drinking alcohol is the best solution ;) Results Day was the most i've ever drunk, and my friends drunk the sameish and are hangover-free urgggh lol.

Comments

• Options
    I think alcohol passes through your system quite quickly, so if you stop drinking at midnight and you take a few tablets the next day at about 11am then your body has pretty much absorbed the alcohol and is getting rid of it.

Whereas at 11.30pm when you're very merry then it's not cool to pop a couple of Nurofen, cause it'll hit your liver about the same time as the booze does and that's when things can get nasty.
  • Options
    a couple of paracetamol or ibuprofen wont harm you even if you're drinking.

obviously if u overdose on paracetamol and combine it with alcohol the chances or serious damage are very high.
    Ibuprofen is not as dangerous.
  • Options
    icecold wrote: »
    Alcohol + Paracetamol is a potentially lethal combination,
    if taken together. by the time you've gotten your hang over your body will have already processed most of the alcohol in your system.
    a good idea is to drink a pint of water when you get in after a heavy drinking binge... it helps keep you hydrated throughout the night. dehydration is the main reason why you get a hangover because your body diverts water away from your major organs inc. your brain to process the alcohol in your body - witch is why you get a really bad head the next day.
  • Options
    I find that for me, the best -and safest- hangover cure is water. And lots of it. Sounds stupid, and not too flash, i know, but believe me...that stuff is the only reason i am capable of even leaving my bed on the next day after a really big night.