Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

a new infection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been taking antibiotics for about a week now. I've been takin a higher dose than normal (as directed). Anyway, my question is, if im taking them, should i be able to get a new infection?

Reason im asking is, im wondering cud i get a water infection while being treated for a throat infection? I just assumed not as i was on the medication already lol

Cant face the doctors again they're such a joke around here!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Yes it is possible.

Antibiotics don't kill every single type of bacteria so if theyre killing one thats making your throat sore that doesnt mean they would kill off any that could give you a bladder infection.

If you think you have a bladder infection its best to go see the doc again to get it sorted. Unless of course you like the feeling of pissing razor blades ;)
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    Yes it is possible.

Antibiotics don't kill every single type of bacteria so if theyre killing one thats making your throat sore that doesnt mean they would kill off any that could give you a bladder infection.

If you think you have a bladder infection its best to go see the doc again to get it sorted. Unless of course you like the feeling of pissing razor blades ;)

Yeah true, that's why there are different types of antibiotics.
    If you have a bladder infection drink lots of water and cranberry juice (although some people claim this to be a myth in helping) and get back to your GP if it doesn't clear up.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you're male or female...but i think its a slightly common side effect, after coming off certain antibiotics i would always get cystitis after it. Its happened to my mum and my friend too.
  • Options
    Yep, very possible. Different antibiotics kill different bugs.

It's also not uncommon for people on antibiotics to get Thrush as a result of the natural bacteria balance being upset.
  • Options
    Yep, very possible. Different antibiotics kill different bugs.

It's also not uncommon for people on antibiotics to get Thrush as a result of the natural bacteria balance being upset.

oh yeah, thats what i meant.
  • Options
    its quite likely to be thrush as a result of the antibiotics. they clear out the good bacteria that you need down there.