Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My Lecturer: Should I?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've fancied my lecturer for a year.

We have a common interest and as such have recently become friends, swapping emails and dropping by for chats (not related to studies).

Now I have graduated, but I expect we'll continue to see each other at least as friends... but sometimes I wonder whether he also feels the same way, and whether if circumstances were right, something might happen.

Two things:

1. Any tips on working out whether he feels the same without giving my own feelings away?
2. Is this allowed - a graduate and their ex-lecturer sleeping together?

Advice appreciated!

-Jess-

Comments

• Options
    I've fancied my lecturer for a year.

We have a common interest and as such have recently become friends, swapping emails and dropping by for chats (not related to studies).

Now I have graduated, but I expect we'll continue to see each other at least as friends... but sometimes I wonder whether he also feels the same way, and whether if circumstances were right, something might happen.

Two things:

1. Any tips on working out whether he feels the same without giving my own feelings away?
    2. Is this allowed - a graduate and their ex-lecturer sleeping together?

Advice appreciated!

-Jess-

If you are no longer a student - give it a go.

I don't think there are any issues if you are no longer a student.

Spend time together, especially over a few drinks - that usually makes things happen if there are going to.
  • Options
    I don't think there would be any issues. I know of two separate occasions in my old school where ex-students dated people who had been their teachers. I reckon you should go for it.
  • Options
    Go for it, otherwise you'd never know. Send him an email suggesting meeting up for a drink. Good Luck:)
  • Options
    If you're no longer a student then I don't see the problem, providing he doesn't have a wife and three kids at home, or something.
  • Options
    I'm surprised you waited til he wasn't your lecturer lol
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you're no longer a student then I don't see the problem, providing he doesn't have a wife and three kids at home, or something.
    :yes:.
  • Options
    Seems okay but the only thing I'd be thinking is if it looked like you had been dating secretly when he was your lecturer. Might reflect badly on him.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    Seems okay but the only thing I'd be thinking is if it looked like you had been dating secretly when he was your lecturer. Might reflect badly on him.

i agree with this. definately think it through.
  • Options
    I'm surprised you waited til he wasn't your lecturer lol

For many reasons, if s/he hadn't waited, it would be illegal. (I think)

I see nothing wrong with it, assuming your lecturer is single.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    For many reasons, if s/he hadn't waited, it would be illegal. (I think)

I see nothing wrong with it, assuming your lecturer is single.

Oh no, not illegal! lol ;)
  • Options
    Oh no, not illegal! lol ;)

Although possibly against university rules, as the essays that lecturers mark go towards the final degrees....

To the OP, go for it, what have you go to lose?!
  • Options
    I would say go for it, unless you were planning on going back to do a postgrad or something.

It's not illegal, and it's generally not against university policies. It's not encouraged, and it'd would likely be a conflict of interests if the lecturer was teaching the student. Some universities have policies that if a lecturer gets involved with a current student then contingencies have to made to have that course taught by another member of staff, or have the student transferred out. Since this is usually hugely inconvenient for both parties, it can act as an effective enough deterrent.
  • Options
    it's generally not against university policies. It's not encouraged, and it'd would likely be a conflict of interests if the lecturer was teaching the student. Some universities have policies that if a lecturer gets involved with a current student then contingencies have to made to have that course taught by another member of staff, or have the student transferred out. Since this is usually hugely inconvenient for both parties, it can act as an effective enough deterrent.

Really? That's surprising. I know they're all consenting adults, but I'd have thought that student-lecturer relationships would have created far too many hassles so not allowing it would just give the uni authorities an easy life!
  • Options
    i think it would get you the sack at a school or college but its ok at uni,

i expect it would have caused problems tho, other students would accuse him of favoring you even if he didnt, had the same thing when i dated a junior at work i had to favor her less than anyone else so i didnt get accused of favoritism, also his colleagues might have made life uncomfortable for him
  • Options
    Meryn wrote: »
    Really? That's surprising. I know they're all consenting adults, but I'd have thought that student-lecturer relationships would have created far too many hassles so not allowing it would just give the uni authorities an easy life!
    Well, there would be a code of ethics which would probably say it's not a good idea to do so, but yeah, essentially it's a huge rigmarole to get through. My supervisor married a student of hers, but they had to go through the official channels and have him moved to another supervisor. Sex and academia are never usually easy bed-fellows.
  • Options
    Sex and academia are never usually easy bed-fellows.

:( Is it too late to change profession?

:lol:
  • Options
    wow

Hi guys

Firstly...LOL @ cheese on toast.... yes, many times I wished I could do something as a student at the time but actually things have only really got more active between us since the last few months of study.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive and informative replies... so you think the Uni couldn't do anything against him now I am a graduate - there's no 'ex-student' rules in general? At the moment I am emailing his university address so I need to be careful...

As far as having nothing to lose - I guess because we are friends and likely to see each other through another means I don't want to embaress myself too much.

Does anyone have any tips that can help me guage whether he'd be open to this kind of relationship - how do I know that he doesn't consider student-lecturer relationships taboo.

I mean on the one I think maybe he would be completely against the idea, but on the other hand my friends say his emails are quite friendly, and sometimes I think that maybe a lecturer who was strictly against student-lecturer relationships would not even dream of engaging in friendly emails and coffee invites (yes he's invited me to meet for coffee before now)...what do you think?

Other things to consider... well, we both share the same sporting interest (hence the common interest that got us talking to begin with) and he's mentioned joining the club I am in sometime next year (hence why I might see him again and so can't risk complete humiliation lol). He seemed really interested in coming to one of the club social dinners once when I asked (under the cover that he could 'meet everyone before joining' lol). In the end he couldnt make it but he seemed really apologetic.

Also, the first time we chatted properly he asked me to send him pictures from a sporting thing I was involved in - he seems genuinly interested. I sent him a link from Facebook to the pictures. Then a couple of months later, he joins Facebook - nothing more than a basic account so sadly no juicy information - although I haven't added him yet as a friend, don't want to be too obvious. I'm planning on dropping it into the conversation casually next time I chat to see if he says anything.

His age is on their too - he's 36 (I'm 23) - yet another reason why I worry incase he considers the whole idea as taboo... argh!

As far as being single, well, obviously I don't know more sure (asking would be a bit obvious, lol) BUT he doesn't have a ring, I saw some pictures of him once at a uni work social thing and he wasnt pictured with any women (although all the other lecturers were by their wives/husbands). Also, he's never mentioned anything that involves kids/family/wife. And, I happened to randomly meet another girl from the same department who had been to another work social where he was, again no indication of being with anyone. Of course thats not a definate answer either way but at least its not an obvious Yes, blatantly happily married. As you may have read from my other post, I feel very uncomfortable doing anything with someone with a partner so that would really close the deal if it was.

I dunno, I find it confusing, whether he's just being friendly or whether theres likely to be more to it.

All I know is that he is gorrrgggeeeouussss LOL. I fancied him from the first lecture and at that point I said to myself that I have to have him, but then of course I thought what are the chances of him even noticing me- so even though we are just friends, I am still kind of amazed I managed to get this much teehee.

.......ho hum. :love:

-Jess-
  • Options
    Isn't this the whole reason anyone becomes a lecturer? Why else would anyone subject themselves to a lifetime of writing essays and dissertations?
  • Options
    Isn't this the whole reason anyone becomes a lecturer? Why else would anyone subject themselves to a lifetime of writing essays and dissertations?

Lol.. actually he's a senior lecturer and researcher, I think he really cares about his subject :eek: