Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Improving Confidence

Apparantely it is so obvious that I have problems with my confidence. Is there any way of improving it? Also, is there anything I can do so that I don't go shy when meeting people for the first time? I always do this and get moaned at for being too quiet...:blush:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Therapy :yes: Alot of it is in the way you think. The way you precieve others, the way you think they precieve you. Thoughts and feelings that go thru your mind when you get shy or unconfident feeling. Why it is that your nervous/shy/unconfident and work on the underlying reasons. They can help figure out the reasons why and work with specific things to fit your personality to help you overcome them. If you think it is really affecting your life, its something to consider.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Also, is there anything I can do so that I don't go shy when meeting people for the first time? I always do this and get moaned at for being too quiet...:blush:

I am exactly the same. Infact one guy I was friends with on my year abroad thought I had some sort of problem when he first met me. I think eye contact is really important so if you're not saying much you don't look a bit weird. :impissed:
  • Options
    Why it is that your nervous/shy/unconfident and work on the underlying reasons.

I have no idea. It only seems to be with new people. That being said, a friend of mine who I've known for 4 years has mentioned something about my confidence.

I admit, I am alright if I've had a few drinks, but I do realise that isn't really a good solution...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

I admit, I am alright if I've had a few drinks, but I do realise that isn't really a good solution...

It's fine as a temporary solution.

As others have said, try looking at people in the eyes. It is all about how you think people think of you. Try and feel good about yourself. :)
  • Options
    I know you want to improve your confidence but being quiet may just be a personality trait of yours and it may not automatically be a bad one.
  • Options
    i had confidence issues all the way through growing up. i hated school, i was around people i didn't like and doing thing is didn't like. when i was about 15 though, things just changed. i started making more effort on my appearance, walking with my head up, making eye contact with people, speakin clearer. then i left school and confidence was shot again. i started work and found out some things i was good at and the confidence just came back. i've always had a a few issues, but it just depends on how you look at tem and let you affect your life.
    also you need to challenge yoruself and get out of your confort zone, doing things you wouldn't normally do.
  • Options
    just act / pretend you're confidant... the rest will take care of itself
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    just act / pretend you're confidant... the rest will take care of itself

:yes: This is what I do although lately, I've actually been really confident rather than pretending which is cool. Boys love confidence :yes: I'm not overly confident though as I don't think thats very attractive.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    I know you want to improve your confidence but being quiet may just be a personality trait of yours and it may not automatically be a bad one.

This does seem true.