Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Taste The Difference and all that

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone buy a lot from the more expensive ranges in the supermarkets like the taste the difference range at Sainbury's or whatever the Tesco's one is called?

Got some Beef Burgers from the Sainbury's Taste the Difference range and it wasn't just taste the difference it was see the difference. Most other burgers you cook and loads of fat and oil comes out and the burger is a fraction of the size it started, with these hardly any fat or oil came out and tasted good too -certainly worth the extra I think.

Comments

• Options
    I do when they're on offer (God, I sound like my mum :lol: ) You can definitly tell the difference. Marks and Spencer food, or Sainsburys is the best :yum:
  • Options
    Lol, I do the same. But to be honest, very frequently you can find good sales on brand name things for cheaper than the generic is. There's rarely a reason to buy generic if you just have the patience and look around. And I do find brands taste better. Certian brands too. Creature of habbit.

With the beef, you should have made sure you got the same lean % at least ;)
  • Options
    I buy quite a few things from the Tesco Finest range :yum:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I buy a few things from the Asda range. There is a real difference in some of it. In others, there is no difference at all.
  • Options
  • Options
    Depends, some of it but not all that often, there is really wide margin with those some are noticably better others are crap.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Depends, some of it but not all that often, there is really wide margin with those some are noticably better others are crap.

like?
  • Options
    I had Tesco Finest lemon tarts a while back and they were crap, as were their custard tarts. Sainsburys Finest lemon tarts are good though.
  • Options
    I've had Sainsbury's finest bacon and that was yummy. Tasted nicer than normal bacon.
  • Options
    Waitrose does a divine maple cured bacon which is really something special.
  • Options
    Waitrose does a divine maple cured bacon which is really something special.

I think thats the one I got from sainsburys
  • Options
    yeah if im buying a supermarket brand of something i will usually go for those premium exra special taste the difference thing, or the organic one.
  • Options
    No, I make my own. Why would you buy some premium wotsit when you can make it yourself, nicer, for a quarter of the price?

you make your own cheese, bacon and butter etc?
    im impressed
  • Options
    No, I make my own. Why would you buy some premium wotsit when you can make it yourself, nicer, for a quarter of the price?

Where possible, I totally agree. It's usually down to time constraints that people don't make their own stuff though, isn't it? On the whole I think taste the difference stuff is nicer than the usual range, especially if you want something a bit more special.
  • Options
    Yeah I buy some of it. I swear my mum ONLY buys that stuff - she falls for it every time. I don't think there's much of a difference - it's like a lot of marks & spencer food really isn't that special - but it's ridiculously expensive.
  • Options
    tesco finest wholemeal is really nice
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    tesco finest wholemeal is really nice

The posh breads from the supermarkets is often good, but its normally got truely shocking amounts of salt in it, 1/2 a gram per slice in a few I've seen.
  • Options
    The "finest" ranges in the supermarket are rarely as good as the options available in the market, and the market stuff is usually much better value. We don't make our own bacon, but we get the butcher in the market to do it, it's a fraction of the price of the supermarket stuff, it's local and it's ethical, and it's nicer too.

Being impressed that a burger isn't made of water and oil says more about the slop that supermarkets serve up than anything else. As for it taking time, it takes about two minutes to put a ball of mince in a bowl, add some onions, egg and tabasco sauce, and then flatten it out into a burger.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Being impressed that a burger isn't made of water and oil says more about the slop that supermarkets serve up than anything else.

I was talking to one of the managers at work on Sunday and he was telling me about how our burgers are much better than people assume that they are and that they ARE made of 100% beef. Then he said that he'd rather eat a McDonalds burger than a Tesco Value burger because the highest ingredient in them is "mechanically recovered chicken" :yuck:.
  • Options
    The posh breads from the supermarkets is often good, but its normally got truely shocking amounts of salt in it, 1/2 a gram per slice in a few I've seen.

bugger, this type has half a gram per slice as well. whats normal for a slice of bread?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    bugger, this type has half a gram per slice as well. whats normal for a slice of bread?

I dont know, but surely there must be loaves of bread with less than a dozen grams of salt in.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Being impressed that a burger isn't made of water and oil says more about the slop that supermarkets serve up than anything else. As for it taking time, it takes about two minutes to put a ball of mince in a bowl, add some onions, egg and tabasco sauce, and then flatten it out into a burger.

:yes: Except you dont even need to add anything!!
    I justflatten a ball of mince and fry it as it is :yum:
  • Options

I kind of agree with this however I might be swayed by buying the actual ingredients from the Taste the difference range - so like taste the difference butter to put in a cake (which makes it taste 3 time nicer than if you use stork) or beef to put in a caserole.

Because half the battle with making things taste nice is using good quality ingredients in teh first place.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I kind of agree with this however I might be swayed by buying the actual ingredients from the Taste the difference range - so like taste the difference butter to put in a cake (which makes it taste 3 time nicer than if you use stork) or beef to put in a caserole.

Because half the battle with making things taste nice is using good quality ingredients in teh first place.

Oh, taste the difference is a brand. I was off. God I'm dumb lately :o