Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Best laptop make

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What make of laptop/ computer does everyone have, eg: Hewlett Packard, Dell, Sony, Acer? I always heard that Dell are reliable, but then again my friend's Dell broke in the first week he had it! Sony look good quality but you will pay more money for the name. Is there any one make you would really recommend as reliable and good value for money, or want to avoid?

Comments

• Options
    Laptops in general aren't good value for money. PC's are the way forward!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kiezo wrote: »

^That

I'd say, though - Dell. Alienware.

Or just go on Ebuyer tbh, and checks the laptops there, see if any clearance bargins are going. That's what we did.
  • Options
    I wouldn't rule out a Mac if your budget can stretch to it. With laptops, the Mac philosophy of an all-in-one solution comes into its own.

If you want a PC, then personally, I'd avoid any of the big name electrical companies like Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic and Samsung. You can occasionally get a bargain, but more often than not, you're paying for the name, when in reality, they all use the same components on the inside. Not only are the likes of Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Evesham and Fujitsu-Siemens usually cheaper, they tend to come with a far better warranty too (except for the cheapest models), which is particularly important for laptops, because they are more likely to break, and the parts are more expensive when they do.

But depending on your budget, I'd go for something like this.
  • Options
    several models down from mine

apart from fuji siemens tech support, well repair centre which is diabolical (they contract repair work out) they're fucking awsome laptops
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »

That USED to be true - not anymore if all you want is a non games playing machine

I used to build my own PC's - now laptops are so cheap and powerful they can do 99% of what I want that a desktop can do. Espacilly now so many extra come as USB 2 device like TV capture cards, TV Tuners, external hard drives.

There's so many cheap single core laptops going ATM and for most people that's all they need.
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    What make of laptop/ computer does everyone have, eg: Hewlett Packard, Dell, Sony, Acer? I always heard that Dell are reliable, but then again my friend's Dell broke in the first week he had it! Sony look good quality but you will pay more money for the name. Is there any one make you would really recommend as reliable and good value for money, or want to avoid?

I reckon IBM would be the toughest generally, dunno if that's changed any since they got sold to a Chinese Company
  • Options
    If you want a PC, then personally, I'd avoid any of the big name electrical companies like Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic and Samsung. You can occasionally get a bargain, but more often than not, you're paying for the name, when in reality, they all use the same components on the inside.

:yes:
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    That USED to be true - not anymore if all you want is a non games playing machine ... There's so many cheap single core laptops going ATM and for most people that's all they need.

:yes:
  • Options
    I reckon IBM would be the toughest generally, dunno if that's changed any since they got sold to a Chinese Company

Chinese company = Lenovo :)

We use IBM/Lenovo at my work and they have been ok. We will be moving to Dell some time in the future so it will be interesting to see how they perfom in comparison.
  • Options

My IBM Think Pad is approaching its 7th birthday and it's still going strong (it's what I'm using now). During its life it's had 3 major crashes, 2 of which were caused directly by me so 1 major crash in 7 years is pretty good going in anyone's books. Plus it runs Win2k which is the best OS Microshite have ever made.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    apart from fuji siemens tech support, well repair centre which is diabolical (they contract repair work out) they're fucking awsome laptops

Fujistu Siemens are godawful things. I refuse to even contemplate buying one, no matter how good value it looks.

I have a pretty little Toshiba wotsit. I don't like it anymore, since the hard drive isn't big enough now, but it's good for what was paid for it 2 years ago. Or rather, what was paid for the one before it (which I dropped...) which this is an upgrade of. My mum has a Toshiba as well. They're awesome.

Rich has a HP massive thing. That's pretty good too, but his was LOTS of money, because it's really big and posh.
  • Options
    Lenovo have made some bad changes imo to the IBM thinkpads although the prices have now come down more in line with other laptops. But in Sept I'll get my hands on them properly and see just what they've done.

I've just bought a samsung that arrived today and it seems really good. Was the best spec I could find for the price, other than acer who I won't touch. Build quality seems really good, no dead pixels on the screen, sturdy etc.
  • Options
    Oh I should add I'm using a Packard Bell Laptop - which is actually made by NEC - bought it from PC World on my way to a pound shop - just stopped off at PC World just to have a browse and saw my local store was doing a total refit and selling loads of ex-display stuff cheap - got my laptop cheap cos it was ex-display and had the original battery and charger missing BUT PC World gave me a much better Targus Power Supply

Mainly wanted a portable PC to take from place to place - like when I go abroad for a month at a time, didn't really need the battery. and the laptop was iccle less then 2kg - so was great for what I wanted .. so bought it on the spot. Was well impressed with it's screen - had a hard protective screen which made the colours on the screen so much brighter.

Then when I got it home I checked out the Packard Bell website and saw it was really good, best out of all the computer manufacturers I've seen - they had a free to post forum - where people mainly bitched about how they had problems with their Packard Bell PC's which made me pleased cos I knew if a company is willing to have a truly open forum then they must have confidence in their products, and I knew that most people would post only if they had a problem, happy customers probably never have a reason to look up the website or post ... so I decided to post how pleased I was with my purchase and when the guys at Packard Bell read my post they asked for my serial number and address and sent me a free Battery and Charger all the way from the Netherlands.

Dunno about their Desktops but their NEC Made laptops are good.

Their website is good and they post new software updates which a lot of companies (**cough Sony!!) are pretty crap at doing.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Fujistu Siemens are godawful things. I refuse to even contemplate buying one, no matter how good value it looks.

I have a pretty little Toshiba wotsit. I don't like it anymore, since the hard drive isn't big enough now, but it's good for what was paid for it 2 years ago. Or rather, what was paid for the one before it (which I dropped...) which this is an upgrade of. My mum has a Toshiba as well. They're awesome.

Rich has a HP massive thing. That's pretty good too, but his was LOTS of money, because it's really big and posh.
    Tbh Fuji Siemens are so much better than Toshiba.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Tbh Fuji Siemens are so much better than Toshiba.
    From the ones I've seen/used, they really aren't. Guess it's all a matter of opinion. Then again, I am getting bored of my Toshiba now...it's not *amazing* but it does the job (just about...NEED MORE SPACE), and this one seems to be a lot more hard-wearing than my last one (I dropped this one too, but it didn't fuck up the screen like last time ;d).

Besides, Rich says bad things about Fujitsu because he always ends up doing all the things to the servers and whatnot that they're hired to do.
  • Options
    simple answer... is the apple macbook or macbook pro
    stay away from dell. but if your set on getting a windows based laptop i'd recommend IBM
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    stay away from dell.

Good lord yes.

My sister's old Dell laptop was a pile of crap tbh. And the mouse pad was very...jerky. The cursor jerked across the screen, no matter how gently you moved your finger.

It also randomly died for no reason and couldn't be fixed :thumb:.
  • Options
    dell are cheap because they are rubbish and a pile of shit.
    alien ware are cool too and a good piece of hardware.
  • Options
    I'm so glad I decided not to get my PC from Dell. Ended up buying a Packard Bell from PC World. (which was also the make of my last PC)
  • Options
    I got an Asus laptop must be summer 2001 still going strong to this day never broken or anything so cant comment on customer service and repairs and stuff. But yeah still works a treat.
  • Options
    Apple if you can afford. the macbook is about £700 at the moment, and you can also get a student discount

Otherwise Acer or HP. (You can pick up a low-end acer for 370ish in pcworld and it'll probably do everything you want it to) Acer's build quality is also pretty decent, as is HP's.

Toshiba are ok, but their design is a bit bland and boring these days, avoid packard bell, and especially avoid mickey mouse brands such as mesh,rock, or advent, they are trouble!
  • Options
    I dunno about Asus computers, but the actual components they make are apparently going downhill. I bought an Asus motherboard, and had to swap it for an Abit because it was so unstable. And according to people on tech computer forums, the number of complaints about Asus stuff if increasing. Of course that doesn't mean they can't make a good laptop though, since they'll know what components are most compatible with their own I guess.
  • Options
    I dunno about Asus computers

Acer!, It's a different company :)
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    Acer!, It's a different company :)

Acer and Asus are the same?:confused:
  • Options
    Firefly-86 wrote: »

no
    http://global.acer.com/
    http://www.asus.com/
  • Options

I'm with stupid was a bit confused, he had a bad experience with asus's motherboards, not acer's laptops
  • Options
    I was just wondering what noog meant

Edit: Ah i see.
  • Options
    I was just wondering what noog meant

I was saying Acer, Implying that he had confused the two brands.
  • Options
    I was comparing Asus motherboards and Asus laptops. Nothing to do with Acer.
  • Options
    I was comparing Asus motherboards and Asus laptops. Nothing to do with Acer.

My bad, didnt know Asus made laptops...