Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not sure if this is the right place...but..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
[COLOR="Navy2]
Hi, dont know if this is in the right place but need to talk to someone.
My younger sister is severly autistic, and today she really kicked off, screaming at me mam etc..
I feel so fed up now, as I wish me family was normal.. I recently went to stay at me aunty's, i only see her 3/4 times a year - and when i dont see her I miss her like crazy - I can talk to her, and she understands .. we had fun at her place, and we dont have that at me house - because of me sister - she doesnt like crowds and if anything goes wrong she hits me and me mam. I cant talk to me mam as it feels like shes always busy with me sister.. Me mams also ill - she takes seizures.. and she gets jealous with the fact that I talk to me aunty alot
Sometimes I dont what to do or who to talk to..

:crying: [/COLOR]

Comments

• Options
    eek, that doesnt sound too good, you've come to the right place though.
    Are there any members of the family/trusted family friends that could maybe look after your sister the occasional day so maybe you and your mum could spend some quality time together without making your sister the centre of attention?
  • Options
    have you got any good mates who you can talk to and hang out with?
  • Options
    me gran occasionally takes me sister so that me and me mam can hang out together, and i do have 2 good mates.. but i dont know if they totally understand where im coming from . therefore i dont tend 2 talk 2 them...
  • Options
    well even if you don't talk to them... it gives you a bit of an opportunity to get away from it all for a bit. must be kinda hard though.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    me gran occasionally takes me sister so that me and me mam can hang out together, and i do have 2 good mates.. but i dont know if they totally understand where im coming from . therefore i dont tend 2 talk 2 them...

Hey there, it sounds like things are pretty touch for you at the mo. It's great to hear you have such a good relationship with your aunty, but not having someone to talk to about your feelings on a regular basis must be frustrating, and even lonely at times.

Firstly, have you and your mum ever looked into respite services for your sister? If you are able to find something suitable then it may mean some occasional quality time for the two of you. Obviously it won't solve all your problems but might be a chance to really clear the air and talk about your shared situation. It's also likely to really benefit your sister.

In terms of getting more immediate support, there's a website called www.togetherforautism.org which has forums where you can speak to others in similar situations to yourself. There are also lots of articles that you might find interesting. There is also www.sibs.org.uk which is for people who have grown up with a brother or sister with special needs.

I'm not sure if you're into reading, but there is a book recommended for people who a brother or sister with autism which is this:

Attwood.T. (1993). Why does Chris do that?

It includes some suggestions regarding the cause and management of the unusual behaviour of children and adults with autism and Asperger syndrome. Tony Attwood offers a better understanding of the unique difficulties associated with autism and Aspergers syndrome. This is a really practical book, brim full of useful advice.

You might also feel like you'd like to speak to someone you don't know about your situation, for example a counsellor, The National Autistic helpline can help you find someone - Telephone 0845 070 4004 (lines are open from Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm). They can also let you know if there are any sibling support groups in your area.

I hope some of this helps. Take care and stay in touch ;)