Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drink Drivers **rant**

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I have just finished work in a pub. Today has been a fun day for a local call centre held in our pub. There has been games, kareoke and things since 11am this morning.

This lady, who seemed very nice and plesant has been in the pub since midday with her kids. Now I must have served her 5/6 rum & cokes and god knows how many other drinks the other staff have served. Anyway midnight came around and she and her kids left the pub.

Now the bar staff didnt have a clue but the DJ's wife who was in the car park recognised the women, saw her drive her and her children home whilst shitfaced. The kids didnt want to get in the car, as they clearly knew mummy was drunk, but had little other option.

It really fucks me off people like this. Why on earth couldnt she have got a taxi? She must have spent the best part of £100 on drinks tonight.

There is a grey area in drink driving, which is around the 1/2 pint level, at this level you kind of think, am I drunk ? and can I drive home? But this woman was way way off that scale. I cant understand why anyone would risk driving home in that state.

I really hope she doesnt have an accident for the sake of the children and other innocent drivers. But part of me wishes the police would pull her over on the way home. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    The reason she is prepared to risk it is because, bluntly, that woman is a moron. I drive home from work two nights a week, and on the Friday night, I have come across one or two cars which were clearly being driven by intoxicated people. Why people still do something so breathtakingly stupid, I do not understand. If she does have an accident, I will weep for the children, but I shall share no tears for her.
  • Options
    If you see her getting into her car pissed again, you can report her if you wish.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    If you see her getting into her car pissed again, you can report her if you wish.

:yes: For the sake of her kids and those unfortunate enough to meet her on the road.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

I've never heard of this. Who is it you report people like these to? is it just the police?:confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I've never heard of this. Who is it you report people like these to? is it just the police?:confused:

:yes: you can get reward money for it too
  • Options
    You should warn her that if she gets into the car to drive you will inform the police. And if she takes no notice and gets into the car anyway then carry out your threat.

The police would actually have to catch her, I doubt a witness statement by you a long time after the event would carry significant weight in court for them to pursue.
  • Options
    I doubt a witness statement by you a long time after the event would carry significant weight in court for them to pursue.
    exactly. she would have to be caught in the act by the police otherwise it would carry no weight whatsoever except of course if she is involved in a RTA as a result of drink driving.
  • Options
    :yes: For the sake of her kids and those unfortunate enough to meet her on the road.

Reporting her wont do much unless they catch her. But if its unready on reacord and she does get caught its not a good sign. Why people drink drive is beyond me. I know cases where people have caught doing it, have been charged with every possible driving violation, lost jobs and have narrowly escaped jail for repeat offeding.
  • Options
    I know a couple like that too. For example the other night her and her fella and their two young kids went out in the afternoon on the piss which is bad enough taking the kids with them. Then went to another pub (drove to the other) and continued drinking there, not sure if they walked home but the car wasn't there early on the next morning but that's pretty regular for them and is disgraceful doing it with two young kids seeing it all, especially when it results in a huge row when they both get pissed.
  • Options
    I cant believe that a mother would be so irresponsible as to make her kids get in a car with her when shes absolutly wasted
  • Options
    I'd suggest you phone crime stoppers, they have an advertisement campaign going on about it at the moment, says you could even be rewarded with £1000 in cash if it leads to an arrest or prosecution, which assuming they catch up with them, it would do.

Almost every night at the pub just down the road from me, from 7pm, a dozen cars come down and take up all the parking spaces on the street, and often its not until gone 11 that i can find room to park my car, meaning that for 4 hours cars are driving down purely to go to this pub, a number of the cars remain there from 7 till 11+.
    I know not all of them will be drinking and driving, but i'm not so naive to think that not one of them will be regularly driving over the limit.

Its disguisting, might have to ring crimestoppers myself... £1000 would come in handy...
  • Options
    You should warn her that if she gets into the car to drive you will inform the police.

I wouldnt even bother warning her. If she is smart enough to drive, she is smart enough to know that driving over the limit is illegal and that she is putting the life of her children and other innocent people at risk.

I would categorically have NO hesitation in grassing a drunk driver.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with drink drivers if they go out and wrap themselves around a tree because its nothing less than what they deserve.

It's not as simple as that ... the expense of clearing up afterwards can run into many hundreds of thousands. The drink driver's life? I feel f*ck all. The tax payer's money spent on sh*te like this? What a waste!
  • Options
    Ring the local control room, tell them she does it all the time. Give them name/address e.t.c. if you know it, plus type of car and registration. Normally they will wait at her home address and do her there.