Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

College Clothes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so im starting college in September & i'm really worried about people's 1st impressions of me & i know its mainly by clothes so, any ideas what i should buy?
don't have that much money, probably just like new look clothes & stuff
Thing is i like wearing skirts but i don't want to be a "slag" but i don'twant to wear trousers incase i look like a "neek" so i'm sorta like ahh.
hehe
any help would be good :)
Thanks
By the way i'm about 5"7, a girl, quite slim & blonde

Comments

• Options
    Wear what you would normally wear and feel comfortable in.

People will notice if you're wearing something that you wouldn't usually, because you will be less comfortable in it.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Wear what you would normally wear and feel comfortable in.

People will notice if you're wearing something that you wouldn't usually, because you will be less comfortable in it.

:yes:
  • Options
    Can never go wrong with jeans.

To be honest, by the time you get to college/uni, the only kind of people that judge you for your appearance are the kind of people you don't want to be hanging around with anyway. At my uni, goths, emo's, trendies, indie kids etc. all hang around with each other no problem.
  • Options
    For the first couple of months i was really worried about what i wore but i just stuck to what i felt comfy in, tbh though people dont really pay any attention to what your wearing unless you really stand out from the crowd
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »

To be honest, by the time you get to college/uni, the only kind of people that judge you for your appearance are the kind of people you don't want to be hanging around with anyway. At my uni, goths, emo's, trendies, indie kids etc. all hang around with each other no problem.

:yes: I remember when I started college and it was so much more of a good atmosphere thatn high school, theres not as much peer pressure or anything and people mix more, nobody really cares what you wear!

I agree with what everyone else said, wear what you're comfortable with, i love skirts too. obviously dont wear them if they're like super mini skirts haha but skirts are fine!
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Can never go wrong with jeans.

I found this quite alot.
  • Options
    I've just finished college *thank the heavens* and tbh, I hope Uni is nothing like it.

I'm a bit gothy/alternative along with the 4 friends I made during the course. The rest of the course group were 'ugg boot, brown hip belt, shorts and tights and blonde hair extensions' type of girls who were all joined at the hip. Suffice to say they kept to their side of the room, we kept to our side. It was pretty sad really because it was so blatently 'clicky'.

I say wear what you want to wear; if you meet like minded people at college, it's just a bonus.
  • Options
    I don't think it really matters what you wear. When I first started college I used to take time over what I wore, and plan it out the night before and stuff because I wasn't used to not having to wear a uniform. But after a couple of weeks, you'll find you can't be bothered to plan out what to wear and will just chuck on the first thing to hand in the mornings!
  • Options
    I've just finished college *thank the heavens* and tbh, I hope Uni is nothing like it.

I'm a bit gothy/alternative along with the 4 friends I made during the course. The rest of the course group were 'ugg boot, brown hip belt, shorts and tights and blonde hair extensions' type of girls who were all joined at the hip. Suffice to say they kept to their side of the room, we kept to our side. It was pretty sad really because it was so blatently 'clicky'.

I say wear what you want to wear; if you meet like minded people at college, it's just a bonus.

There are a lot of people like the ones you described at Bristol but then again, we do have a reputation for attracting large quantities of rahs.
  • Options
    I usually wear skirts and dresses. I think it`s the most woomanly...:)
  • Options
    Don't buy much new stuff now, save your money and then when you get to college you can find some friends to go shopping with- much more fun than on your own.
  • Options
    I just bought tons of 'essentials' from Primark. A new wardrobe pretty much and it came to £30. I got some long sleeved tops, tshirts etc. But yeah, wear what you feel comfortable in. Uni students are known for not giving a shit about what they were or maybe I just got lied to. Hmm
  • Options
    Uni students can't really afford much so we really just shop in Primark, charity and vintage shops: trendy yet cheap. If you are really worried, do wait until you get there and go shopping in Freshers week. This is what I did, it's a great way to break the ice and you can see what other people are buying too.
  • Options
    Ditto, I'm going to kit myself at Matalan with basic black trousers, jeans and a tonne of essential tops etc.
  • Options
    Honestly, I was thinking the same as you when I started college this time last year. My main worry was...I havent got that many clothes and people will notice I wear the same outfits like twice a week.shock fucking shock.
    People do not care what you wear, after a bit you don't even notice day to day what people are wearing; unless you are that way out or someone is attracting attention to themselves wearing something.
    I wear whatever is in my wardrobe out of all my casual clothes; henley to primark to french connection to nu look to river island. Jeans, cords, crops, combats, short tops, strappy tops, vest tops, hoodys, jackets, trainers, slip ons etc. Make sure it is comfy.

And most of all on your first day the minute you arrive what you are wearing will become totally irrelavant, because you will be worrying about much greater things like all the strangers in the room and where to go!

Have fun x x x
  • Options
    Check out urban outfitters, very cool stuff, can be on the pricey side at times, but high quality stuff.
  • Options
    college was usually jeans and tops, uni I wore what the hell I wanted.
  • Options
    I'm starting college in September too !

I usually wear skirts too but I don't know if they'l be suitable for college?

Anyway, I went shopping yesterday and got some clothes for college and basically bought some jeans, combats (sound gross but are lush and comfy), white 3/4 lengths, a new black handbag and loads of tops !
  • Options
    I wore skorts, you just need to keep a degree of decorum with the length. Uni's different, you can wear whatever.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Honestly, I was thinking the same as you when I started college this time last year. My main worry was...I havent got that many clothes and people will notice I wear the same outfits like twice a week.shock fucking shock.
    People do not care what you wear, after a bit you don't even notice day to day what people are wearing; unless you are that way out or someone is attracting attention to themselves wearing something.

:yes: Exactly.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I wore skorts, you just need to keep a degree of decorum with the length.

:yes:
    people will notice I wear the same outfits like twice a week.shock fucking shock.

I found this as well. Someone actually turned around and said 'well, you had to wear your school uniform for 5 days a week, so what's the difference?'

Some 6th forms/colleges will have rules as to what you can adn can't wear (mine did) but the rules aren't that strict. One thing that pissed many people was that in the summer, you couldn't wear shorts. (even the ones that come down to the knees)
  • Options
    Hey..

well i agree..wear what ur comfortable in.

i usually wear skinny jeans with flip flops n a funky top...like th hippi trend..x
    or my uggs with similar style..x

my frineds have different styles and just wear what thyr comfortable in..x

seriously..at college everyones different and no one judges u by ur dress sense reeli x x

good luck! x;)
  • Options
    hit the topshop sales!
    they should still be on now, & you get pieces for a fraction of the price. every item of jewellery £1, anyone? plus, it's usually buy one get one free. (:
  • Options
    ooh I am starting college in 2 weeks as well and I wasn't really worried about what I am going to wear, I'm a drama student, we are all weird :razz:
  • Options
    The first couple of days are just like one big fashion show.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    The first couple of days are just like one big fashion show.

I found this. I used to wear tracksuit bottoms alot (because they were comfortable) and I had someone have a go at me for it.:rolleyes: :confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I found this. I used to wear tracksuit bottoms alot (because they were comfortable) and I had someone have a go at me for it.:rolleyes: :confused:

omg someone had a go at you for wearing a tracksuit?! what the fuck?
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly. Then they were having a go at me because I was wearing the same clothes again the next day. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. Then they were having a go at me because I was wearing the same clothes again the next day. :rolleyes:

The French do that and I found a lot of my English speaking friends ripping them, but they never smelt or anything so I didn't see the problem. I am always in the same pair of jeans. I have about 1 pairs but I'll just wear one pair for like a month (I wash it of course!] then I'll wear another..weeeird.
  • Options
    :yes: I remember when I started college and it was so much more of a good atmosphere thatn high school, theres not as much peer pressure or anything and people mix more, nobody really cares what you wear!

I agree with what everyone else said, wear what you're comfortable with, i love skirts too. obviously dont wear them if they're like super mini skirts haha but skirts are fine!

People start to grow up at college, and boundaries loosen. At uni, what you wear doesn't count for poo. Scallies even get along with everyone!