Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Disney to remove smoking from family films

The Disney Studio has pledged to remove smoking from its family-oriented films.
Chief executive Robert A Iger made the promise in a letter to US congressman Edward Markey, chairman of the House Telecommunications Subcommittee.

In the letter, which the congressman has made public, Mr Iger said depictions of smoking in future Disney branded films would be "non-existent".

He also pledged to put an anti-smoking announcement on DVDs of any future film in which cigarette smoking is shown.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6916293.stm

Presumably alcohol, weapons, and actual criminal acts are all okay to show...

FFS...

big_rolleyes.gif
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Presumably alcohol, weapons, and actual criminal acts are all okay to show...

If smoking is removed, then the above should as well.
  • Options
    Think that's bad? Rumour has it they want to remove the cigarette from this image, for future poster sales etc.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Think that's bad? Rumour has it they want to remove the cigarette from this image, for future poster sales etc.

Whats wrong with that. They could easily replace it with a stick of celery. Then it would be promoting healthy eating. :D

Back on topic. Im not really fussed if Disney are to remove cigarettes from their movies. But where do you draw the line, should alcohol, swearing and drug use also be removed ?

I think they should just leave be. Far more important things too worry about.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Indeed. One does wonder where people will draw the line. Smoking is a part of everyday life for millions of people, I'm not sure why film directors should be forced to airbrush smoking from their films... The studios are under intense pressure from the anti-smoking lobby on this and it's unfortunate that they're unwilling to firmly oppose self-censorship. Of course, Disney hasn't made family films displaying smoking in a positive light for years so that's a bit of a non-story...but that they're saying smoking will be 'discouraged' in their adult films by Touchstone/Miramax is worrying as it will inevitably have an impact on directors freedom. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were Miramax - if Tarantino made them now would he be forced to 'discourage' smoking? And anti smoking messages on DVDs seem a bit pathetic, we all know films featuring alcohol, gambling - or even drugs won't be featuring messages... (Sadly though it could be only a matter of time...) The anti-smoking hysteria just carries on...

I wonder if the anti-smoking lobby will want to rewrite books next... The Catcher in the Rye is popular with kids, will Holden Caulfield be a non-smoker in newer editions?

Oh and even in some Disney films aimed at kids smoking is pretty important to some characters... Cruella de Vil without her cigarette in the holder just wouldn't work!
  • Options
    Oh and even in some Disney films aimed at kids smoking is pretty important to some characters... Cruella de Vil without her cigarette in the holder just wouldn't work!

Indeed.

*is trying to imagine Pinocchio without the smoking bit*.

Disney tend to portray all the people that *do* smoke in their films as bad people anyway, Cruella De Vil being an obvious example. Surely it would be preferable to do that rather than pretend it just doesn't exist at all?
  • Options
    I don't think that's preferable- to effectively use children's films as anti-smoking propaganda. A friend of mine has a poster of marilyn monroe with a cigarette shopped out and it looks plain weird.
  • Options
    Dont forget sex! It promotes underage sex.

I havnt seen a Disney film in years but i would imagine they dont contrain rampant sex scenes.
  • Options
    It clearly builds on the commonly-held belief that people who smoke are evil, can't raise children properly, are inherently stupid, morally corrupt, probably sexually deviant and are definitely going to hell...

It's the hipocricy that I can stand in this. Like has been pointed out before, smoking : evil but violence, drink, guns etc. : ok.

But I've got news for you Hollywood

GOOD PEOPLE SMOKE TOO!

It's not always the bad guys. I mean, the whole Rat Pack smoked their way through their entire collective on-screen careers, James Dean, Marlon Brando, Audrey Hepburn, the list goes on.

Reminds me of that South Park episode where George Lucas and Steven Spielberg redo E.T. with all the guns changed to walkie-talkies.
  • Options
    It clearly builds on the commonly-held belief that people who smoke are evil, can't raise children properly, are inherently stupid, morally corrupt, probably sexually deviant and are definitely going to hell...

It's the hipocricy that I can stand in this. Like has been pointed out before, smoking : evil but violence, drink, guns etc. : ok.

GOOD PEOPLE SMOKE TOO!

It's not always the bad guys. I mean, the whole Rat Pack smoked their way through their entire collective on-screen careers, James Dean, Marlon Brando, Audrey Hepburn, the list goes on.

Reminds me of that South Park episode where George Lucas and Steven Spielberg redo E.T. with all the guns changed to walkie-talkies.
    Of course, E.T. did have the guns replaced with walkie-talkies for the Anniversary edition a few years ago... South Park were (rightly) scorning the move.

Though that wasn't the worse instance of such incidents. The infamous Han Shot First editing in Star Wars takes the first prize. :mad:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I havnt seen a Disney film in years but i would imagine they dont contrain rampant sex scenes.
    I can only assume you you haven't yet seen the new 18+ version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Happy has a smile on his face for quite a different reason, and Bashful certainly does a bit of bashing in the new version!

Meantime, back on planet earth, on the thread, it's another stupid idea, clearly dreamt up by somebody who hasn't got enough work to do. Disney should hand over a P45 to whoever came up with this.
  • Options
    Jesus Harold Christ, I'm not pro-smoking or anything but I strongly think that our government/country has too much influence from Professor Umbridge from Harry Potter & Order of the Phoenix. And yes, I'm referring to the book, not the film. When they think of banning alcohol, we'll expect a rebellion from the Weasley brothers!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Though that wasn't the worse instance of such incidents. The infamous Han Shot First editing in Star Wars takes the first prize. :mad:

Yeah, but that can just be explained by the fact that George Lucas is a dickhead. It genuinely confuses me how he could possibly have wrote the original Star Wars, which is a pretty good script, yet be so completely clueless in everything else he's done since, not stopping at just being shit, but actually going back and trying to ruin the one good thing he ever did. :confused:

Ah well, I couldn't give a shit. I don't really like anything to come out of Hollywood.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Gah, this shit is getting stupid. Really stupid.

I wish they'd just fucking leave shit alone. If you don't think it is safe to expose people of images of supposed bad things, then you would have the view that people just can't cope with reality.

Some people smoke, get over it. What, shall we remove the bad guys from disney films too? I mean, children might see them and think they want to be like the bad guys

The Best Disney Character ever is still Don Karnage from Tailspin. He fucking rocks. Hard.
  • Options

GOOD PEOPLE SMOKE TOO!

:yes: And it's not like as if in any film, smoking is being portrayed as a good thing, is it?:confused:
  • Options
    In the list of things to worry about removing smoking from children's films comes around 999,999th...

Its hardly PC gone mad, its not even PC gone slightly eccentric...
  • Options

GOOD PEOPLE SMOKE TOO!

Good post.

*Awaits 'I don't like second-hand smoke so anything done to smokers and the smoking industry if fine be me' mentality*
  • Options
    They should remove the incest from Lion King.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    If you don't think it is safe to expose people of images of supposed bad things, then you would have the view that people just can't cope with reality.

:yes: Very well put.

I remember the director of Forest saying a while ago that around 1/4 of the adult population of the world smoke and, since films are, to one extent or another, an interpretation of reality, a whole film without smoking is actually misrepresentative.

If we continue to shield people, especially children, from what actually happens in reality, then they might be in for a bit of a shock when they actually experience a little of it for themselves.

Let's just hope this stops here and they don't, as perhaps we all should fear, start doctoring old films to bring them in line with draconian modern-day notions of acceptability such as this abominable act by the PC brigade.
  • Options
    If we continue to shield people, especially children, from what actually happens in reality, then they might be in for a bit of a shock when they actually experience a little of it for themselves.

I've argued this point a number of times. It's going to get to a stage where when a person turns 18 their parents will take the social blinkers off and say "Ta-da! The real world!"
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I've argued this point a number of times. It's going to get to a stage where when a person turns 18 their parents will take the social blinkers off and say "Ta-da! The real world!"

Exactally the problem here. Shielding children will only make them unable to cope once they hit adulthood - they need to know about smoking, sex, drinking, violence and bad things. My parents were always open and offered ot explain anything to me. I played Grand Theft Auto, and Carmageddon before it. I watched Violent films. With SMOKING and DRINKING in them omfg.

I don't seem to be unstable. Well, not dangerously so anyhow.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=Thunderstruck;2025388this abominable act by the PC brigade[/QUOTE]

"It's PC gone maaaaaad, i tell you"

Seriously, how on earth can anyone suggest that this is linked to political correctness?
  • Options
    Seriously, how on earth can anyone suggest that this is linked to political correctness?

Did you not get the memo? Everything bad is "PC gone mad" nowadays. Nothing to do with Disney voluntarily playing the free market that everyone values so much nowadays.
  • Options
    i think they (not sure who they is, like the government or disney or whatever) should stop trying to sugarcoat and wrap up people in cotton wool. people smoke, people do drugs and people get stupidely drunk and shag around. removing images from kids films is their choice but i dont see what its achieving
  • Options
    i think they (not sure who they is, like the government or disney or whatever) should stop trying to sugarcoat and wrap up people in cotton wool. people smoke, people do drugs and people get stupidely drunk and shag around. removing images from kids films is their choice but i dont see what its achieving

:yes:
  • Options
    "It's PC gone maaaaaad, i tell you"

because its politically correct not to smoke, not to drink to excess, to be an equal judge, make sure half the characters in films/books/adverts are of a different nationally/race blah blah blah
  • Options
    I think it's got more to do with today's image of smoking than PC. Smoking used to be really glorified, and in most western countries that image has been torn to pieces.
    I think this had more to do with positive PR and they certainly have gotten some free advertising from this.

While I do believe some of the things in the articles are a bit excessive (like adding a rating for smoking / non-smoking) I don't really have a problem with this particular decision.
  • Options
    Are they going to give the black maid in Tom and Jerry and more equal role in the household?
  • Options
    They didn't say they're changing their existing films, only not including smoking in their future ones.

Plus, Tom&Jerry aren't under the Disney name. No idea about cross ownerships over there but they're not Disney figures.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Are they going to give the black maid in Tom and Jerry and more equal role in the household?

I always just figured she was the owner of the house when I was a kid.
  • Options
    because its politically correct not to smoke

Why? In case you blow racist smoke rings? :p

Political correctness has more to do with language and being civil towards each other for our cultural, ethnic and identity groups... Not smoking.