Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The difference between power steering and no power steering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm learning to drive atm, I have my car ready and waiting (old peugeot 106) and it doesn't have power steering. Unfortunately, my dad is refusing to let me drive it until I pass so i get no practice. I'm just wondering what the difference is without power steering and I'm a bit worried it will affect my driving, what with being a new driver and learned in a car with power steering to driving one without. :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'm learning to drive atm, I have my car ready and waiting (old peugeot 106) and it doesn't have power steering. Unfortunately, my dad is refusing to let me drive it until I pass so i get no practice. I'm just wondering what the difference is without power steering and I'm a bit worried it will affect my driving, what with being a new driver and learned in a car with power steering to driving one without. :nervous:

When I was learning I had lessons in a Corsa with Electric Power Steering, but also drove my first car which was a 106 with no power steering. You will be able to notice the difference, but the wheels on a 106 are very small, 13" if i remember rightly - so it is easily copable with no power steering. My 106 was an ace first car loved it to peices.
  • Options
    I'm learning in a clio - i have no idea what size the wheels are.
  • Options
    I'm learning in a clio - i have no idea what size the wheels are.

The wheels on the 106 will be 13" or 14" max which will be fine with no power steering. It will take a lil while to get used to but you'll be fine. :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh yeah the 106 is a diesel, if that makes a difference? I don't actually know if the clio is diesel or petrol.
  • Options
    Oh yeah the 106 is a diesel, if that makes a difference? I don't actually know if the clio is diesel or petrol.

Doesn't make any difference to the steering.
  • Options
    i reckon it'd be noticeable enough.. im driving a car with no power steering at the minute and it feels pretty heavy.. its fine for normal driving but 3 point turns etc can be a cunt

you get used to it in no time tho!
  • Options
    It's harder to perform some manouvers without power steering, you have to remember to keep the car moving slightly whilst you turn the wheel. I learnt without and my first car didn't. Since then i've been spoilt.
  • Options
    I learnt in a car with power steering (also a clio) and mine doesn't have it that i drive now.

The only difference you will notice is that the steering is a bit heavy but driving around there won't be much difference, it's only when you come to parking that it can become a bit of a problem. You have to turn the wheel really quick to get any sort of turn, it's a big of a hassle but i just find the spaces that you can drive into easily, i don't mind if it means a longer walk :)
  • Options
    My first two cars didn't have power steering. My new one does. The only time I really notice the difference is when I'm pulling Austin Power type parking manoeuvres. Oh, and cars with power steering are slightly harder to keep straight at speed on the motorway.

Just get your arms moving quicker. It'll be fine.
  • Options
    Power steering makes low-speed moves easier (such as the turn in the road), but isn't noticeable at high speed. That's because the power assistance gets less as the car goes faster, to make the steering more accurate.

If you live on a dead end street you'll get good biceps.
  • Options
    There's no way in hell I'd drive a car without PAS. My mum test drove a Suzuki Alto for me, and she ended up with a burst blood vessel in her palm from doing a reverse manoeuvre in it. That put me off for good.
    I find driving a manual car with PAS hard enough on my joints (I have a genetic condition that affects my joints/tendons/ligaments) without having to move a car with my bare hands (which is effectively what you are doing when PAS isn't there to help you).
  • Options
    i learned in a polo with power steering. My first car is a corsa with no power steering. Its different and more difficult, but you quickly get used to it. ...i did anyway
  • Options
    My car is supposed to have power steering, but the way it feels, I'm quite sure it doesn't :p I guess its a common problem. Can't really tell a difference when you drive, only when in slow/stop. Like pulling into a parking space. I look foward to winter and ice ;) Its funny to drive other people's cars, though. I'm all over the place because I forget you don't have to give yourself a hernia getting out of the driveway. But saying that I've never driven one that technically didn't have it, so who knows. But surely power steering is like power locks or windows... not really going to find one nowadays without!
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    My car is supposed to have power steering, but the way it feels, I'm quite sure it doesn't :p I guess its a common problem. Can't really tell a difference when you drive, only when in slow/stop. Like pulling into a parking space. I look foward to winter and ice ;) Its funny to drive other people's cars, though. I'm all over the place because I forget you don't have to give yourself a hernia getting out of the driveway. But saying that I've never driven one that technically didn't have it, so who knows. But surely power steering is like power locks or windows... not really going to find one nowadays without!

In america maybe :p aren't most of your cars automatics too?
  • Options
    Sod all on a small car, unless you're a wimp.
  • Options
    I believe you are correct. Can't waste precious eating time just because we have to drive and shift! ;)
  • Options
    I believe you are correct. Can't waste precious eating time just because we have to drive and shift! ;)

You lazy americans! ;)

It would make my life alot easier if most of our cars were automatics though - bloody clutch.
  • Options
    I have a medium sized car (L reg Astra) and it has no power steering. I find it good for my bingo wings :) I've had it for years so I'm used to it but everyone else whinges about it being heavy and an effort to drive. Wusses.
  • Options
    My mum test drove a Suzuki Alto for me, and she ended up with a burst blood vessel in her palm from doing a reverse manoeuvre in it.

:eek2:

What the hell was she doing? Hitting the steering wheel??

In small cars, power steering shouldn't make too much difference unless you like your steering feather-light, or if you have a condition such as yours.
  • Options
    My car is supposed to have power steering, but the way it feels, I'm quite sure it doesn't

Could be th power steering fluid is contaminated or the pump has failed. This happened on my old car. They changed the fluid and it was good as new.
  • Options
    There's no way in hell I'd drive a car without PAS. My mum test drove a Suzuki Alto for me, and she ended up with a burst blood vessel in her palm from doing a reverse manoeuvre in it. That put me off for good.

Why stop there, you could demand a private chauffeur, even eaiser!:lol:

When you pass your test, Ballerina, you are likely to discover cheat ways of driving which your instructor wont tell you. If you sit there feeding the steering wheel without crossing your arms, a non PAS car will be hard work, using the palm of your hand is a lot easier when reversing etc:thumb:
  • Options
    olaola wrote: »
    Why stop there, you could demand a private chauffeur, even eaiser!:lol:
    She's been my chauffer for the past 21 years - it's time I chauffered myself around!!! :yes:
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Could be th power steering fluid is contaminated or the pump has failed. This happened on my old car. They changed the fluid and it was good as new.

Thanks. I'll have a look into that :thumb:
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Could be th power steering fluid is contaminated or the pump has failed.

Or the belt has snapped which leaves you with no power steering. Just had to get mine replaced.