Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Presentation - will diezepam help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a presentation to do this week and it's really important to me.
I was awful at them throughout school and univeristy, I shake so much I can't hold paper or anything, get short of breath, my voice goes wobbly, go bright red, heart races etc...it's awful.

I have been to the doctor about it before and he gave me Propanolol, I do take it occasionally, but it's quite a low dose and although I think it's helped in certain situations, I don't think it really helps me with presentations.

A while ago when I was really stressed out and anxious, my doctor prescribed me diazepam 2mg to take during the day as well. I tried not to take it because I was revising for exams and didn't want to feel sleepy, I now use it very very occasionally at night.

Would it work better than beta blockers to take a low dose of diazepam before a presentation? I know I can't always rely on meds to do presentations but at the moment I need to make a good impression. Would diezepam make me sleepy/dull the thinking process?! I'm only asking because I've never taken it during the day.

Also, what kind of dosage of propanolol do people take? I was given the 10mg ones but sometimes take a couple as the doctor said often people need the 40mg dosage.

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    A lot of people take 10mg propranolol. But then a lot have 40mg too. It would be up to your doctor to advise you what dose to take as there may be a reason to keep it low. If you have low blood pressure i would imagine it could be dangerous.

Try taking 2mg diazepam one day before the day of the presentation and see how it affects you. You may find it makes you drowsy and a bit fuzzy or dopey but i doubt it.
    I personally find 5mg theraputic-i could work still after 10mgs but id feel like id had a few to drink. But people react very differently. 2mg could send someone off to sleep!
  • Options
    I know I sound like I'm being boring and coming up with the usual lecture, but it's really not a good idea to go trying prescription drugs you've been given for one thing to deal with something slightly different.

Is there anyway you can see your GP before this presentation? Or even talk to them over the phone? They'll know you and your history far better than anyone here will and can advise you what the best course of action will be.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, Sikorah - I was planning to try taking the 2mg diazepam during the day and see if it makes me drowsy, think it's worth it if only to put my mind at rest that I won't fall asleep!
    What is the difference between the effects of diazepam or propanolol...I'm not quite sure which would be more effective to help combat my nerves in the situation?

Scary Monster - I understand what you're saying, but they were prescribed for anxiety which is the same but just different situations. I don't really have a regular GP here (been at uni etc) and I know he'd just say take the diazepam but bear in mind you might feel drowsy etc etc. When he prescribed them to me, he said to take the beta blockers AND the diazepam but I'm not sure whether this is a good idea in this case, just unsure which is best!
  • Options
    i think it might make you go to sleep.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    A lot of people take 10mg propranolol

:yes:

I found 10mg the best for me. Any more that that, and I felt like I was going in slow motion, and apparently looked and acted like I was on drugs. Nice. :thumb:

I wouldn't take anything without knowing how it affects you first. 'Nervous' is a much better impression to make than 'off your tits'.

I've only had low doses of the two, but this is the difference in their effects on me: propranolol = calm, diazepam = land of nod.
  • Options
    I would try them on a work day while you're with a friend to see. Perhaps do something that would ordinarily make you anxious to see if it works, like asking a random person to fill in a questionairre or whatever.
  • Options
    id say i highly doubt that 2mg would do anything to you nevermind put you asleep but that amount would knock my ma out

its purely down the the person .. i took about 80mg once on its own and it did next to nothin to me

i agree with other people.. take some before it as a tester .. only way to know for definite! :thumb:
  • Options
    i'm jealous of your doctor
  • Options
    propranolol works for people with physical symptoms- palpitations/racing heart , shaking, sweating, rising blood pressure.
    It shouldnt make you drowsy or sleepy like diazepam can do.

diazepam is a muscle relaxant but it works more on the mental symptoms of anxiety and panic, and kind of sedates you a little.

Ive never used propranolol but my mate did when she had uni presentations to do.

Personally i like diazepam. Tonight i was feeling anxious, irritated and 'unsettled', im really tired and needed to relax so had 6mg of diaz. Bout 20mins later and i feel calmer and just better. Im not sure whether id want to stand up and talk to a bunch of people though because it does feel like ive had a few drinks, but at the same time my i can think clearly and conentrate.

Thats just my views, everyones different and drugs effect people in different ways. But from what others have said maybe u should give the propranolol a go.
  • Options
    tbh i wouldn't recommend taking drugs only to help you do one presentation. the best way of dealing with it is to practice over and over... that will boost your confidence more so than any drug.
  • Options
    Have you considered Temazepam?

I found it a lot less sedating than Diamaz - just made me happier an more outgoing, relaxed etc.

Also, it leaves you with a clear head the day afterwards!

Should ask your doc about it. Careful though, dont become too reliant, it can be pretty habbit forming.
  • Options
    idiotfan wrote: »
    Should ask your doc about it. Careful though, dont become too reliant, it can be pretty habbit forming.
    :yes:

If you can't get to a doctor, try calling NHS Direct for advice rather than self diagnosing (Tel: 0845 46 47).

Also, there are lots of ways you can learn to control your anxiety levels. Rescue Remedy is a really good natural medicine - just use a few drops before you go in to your presentation. Breathing techniques also work wonders - Mind has a step-by-step guide on it's website.

Good luck with the presentation...
  • Options
    Thanks guys, had it on thurs, went ok! diazepam didn't make me sleepy but I know not to rely on it - just needed it that one time. Thanks for the advice x