Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Brace?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone tell me how much it costs roughly to have a brace fitted? I had one when i was younger and didnt wear it, which i am now regretting!
Im 23 so i dont think id be able to get one on the nhs, but i really want one.

Comments

• Options
    if you're having both top and bottom, then it's about £2000 - are you talking about fixed ones?
  • Options
    Im not sure what id need, when i had it last time it was a removable one, but i think i would actually prefere a fixed one. Do you have any ideas on how long you have to wear them for?
  • Options
    I've had a fixed one twice. It depends how far your teeth need to move.
  • Options
    How long you need it for and what type you get depends pretty much entirely on what needs doing. £2000 - £4000 is a reasonable rough guide. You should be able to get a consultation, the X rays and an accurate quote for the entire from an Orthodontist for under £50.

Your dentist should be able to give you a rough idea at your next appointment with them, and you'll probably need a referral from them to the ortho.
  • Options
    If you're doing it privately the dentists can charge what they like. It's usually between £2000-£4000 pounds for the whole treatment. I'm not sure if that includes the retainers that you need to wear afterwards though. They're around £60 i think. Brace work usually takes at least a year, but it really does depend on your teeth. There is also invisaline which has come over from america, and they use clear plastic retainers to push your teeth into place without having fixed ones. They're better for minor moving though and it's more expensive.
  • Options
    Cost me about £3500 for a private Orthodontist. Excellent quality work though, and I see him once a month at his house he works from on a friday. I've got retainers now, but the last 18 months or so has been a breeze really!
  • Options
    Wish I hadn't given up with my braces when I was younger. The problem is they are too pushy to get braces on kids too young these days, scared me shitless when they told me they needed to take out 101 teeth (or it seemed that many at the time :razz:) and have 2 lots of braces and a thing after when I was like 11/12. Why so young, I know the teeth are easier to move but it just made me give up mid-treatment. I am now looking into it again like the OP, but if they have waited until I was ready it would have saved a lot of my worrying and their wasted treatment.

Rant Over.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Wish I hadn't given up with my braces when I was younger. The problem is they are too pushy to get braces on kids too young these days, scared me shitless when they told me they needed to take out 101 teeth (or it seemed that many at the time :razz:) and have 2 lots of braces and a thing after when I was like 11/12. Why so young, I know the teeth are easier to move but it just made me give up mid-treatment. I am now looking into it again like the OP, but if they have waited until I was ready it would have saved a lot of my worrying and their wasted treatment.

Rant Over.

That was exactly my problem, and at that age i didnt think about how much it'd bother me as i got older!

Thanks for all the replies, think im gonna look into it properly!
  • Options
    whoah there, that's so expensive! Poo pants. I want braces- my migraines usually start in my jaw and I think getting my teeth aligned properly would help, but not at that price!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    whoah there, that's so expensive! Poo pants. I want braces- my migraines usually start in my jaw and I think getting my teeth aligned properly would help, but not at that price!

I knew it was probablygoing to be expensive, but i am really self conscious about my teeth, that i think it will be well worth the cost. Not figured out where im going to get the money from though!
  • Options
    I've read several places that the invisiline don't cost any more than the railroad tracks. I want those.
  • Options
    I dont know if you'll be able to get them seeing as you're 23, my sister needed them again when she was 19 or 20 and the orthodontist said she was lucky she came before she was 21...he said doing it after you're 21 isn't advised as the teeth roots stop growing then and having braces shortens the roots.

If you can't have braces there's always other options for example veneers.
  • Options
    I knew it was probablygoing to be expensive, but i am really self conscious about my teeth, that i think it will be well worth the cost. Not figured out where im going to get the money from though!

I think you can get credit at the dentist, like a boob job, maybe? Or, what about asking your parents? People see your teeth all the tine unless they're tiny and hidden in your mouth and they can easily become a confidence problem. My brother and two other friends with teeth issues and they do this weird looking thing when they're talking to strangers to try and hide their teeth, and smile with their lips closed always. If it will make a big difference to your confidence, I say- go for it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    My brother and two other friends with teeth issues and they do this weird looking thing when they're talking to strangers to try and hide their teeth, and smile with their lips closed always. If it will make a big difference to your confidence, I say- go for it.

I do things like that, and when i laugh i automatically put my tongue up to my top lip so that it hides my teeth!