Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Survival Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Taking into account size, weight, durability, perishability, etc

What's the best food and drink to carry with you in a survival situation?

Like in the middle of a mountain / dessert

Any survival experts here?

Always find it interesting when you watch these documentaries and people cross a dessert by car for instance and it breaks down and they're stuck in the middle of nowhere without food or water .. when my friends and I did a US road trip we went across a dessert and just filled loads of huge water bottles with water from the taps in the bath in our hotel just in case we broke down..

Although I would have thought if space and weight were a factor soft drinks may be better then water? As they have sugar for energy, etc?

Comments

• Options
    Depends on how much you want to take really.

Another staple UK expedition is something like Kendal Mint Cake, malt load and extra water.

Soft drinks can have their uses, but it's a lot easier if you are an otherwise fit and healthy person to have the water and the high sugar food, you get a lot more sugar out of the mint cake than you would from the fizzy drink, without the need to drink 3 litre of the stuff.
  • Options
    Was watching some Documentary ages ago and some guy broke down in the Australian outback with his daughter and think he considered drinking the water in the car's radiator at one point.

Like that Ray Mears show too that shows you how to survive in different environments.

When I go on a flight and know I could be hours at the airport usually take a packet of Shortbread Biscuits?

Fine they're small, easy to carry but very good for times when you're really hungry and just need a little something.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kendal mint cake.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    a big bottle of vodka. if you get lost your going to need a drink
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Kendal mint cake.

but that is soo disgusting
  • Options
    If I ever get lost I hope its with you, Calvin ;)

Theres a show I've grown to love, man vs wild. Its with some british dude. They drop him off in the middle of nowhere with a flint, canteen and knife and he has to find his way back to civilization and he'll show you all that you can eat and how. You can drink your urine within 5 minutes of it coming out of you, else its too filled with bacteria. No helpfull tips for thsi thread,, but its a real good show ;)
  • Options
    Food high in energy like pasta and bread.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote: »
    Theres a show I've grown to love, man vs wild. Its with some british dude. They drop him off in the middle of nowhere with a flint, canteen and knife and he has to find his way back to civilization and he'll show you all that you can eat and how. You can drink your urine within 5 minutes of it coming out of you, else its too filled with bacteria. No helpfull tips for thsi thread,, but its a real good show ;)

Bear Grylls?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Thats the one :thumb:
  • Options
    My friend in the army gets given these ration packs; basically processed food in a silver packet. It's suppose to be a meal in a packet that you boil, but it's things like 'bacon and beans' or 'dumplings and gravy'. They also get given chocolate, and chewing gum as a substitute for a toothbrush.
  • Options
    Bear Grylls?

Top show and top man.

I could probably survive quite long if I was stuck in a really big forest but not in some desert or other isolated place, I'd just freak out.
  • Options
    If I ever get lost I hope its with you, Calvin ;)

me come too! If you die, can I eat you- you can eat me?
  • Options
    Of course! But cook me first, might get rabies.
  • Options
    Of course! But cook me first, might get rabies.

You two can please yourself, I will stick to my vodka :p
  • Options
    Kendal mint cake.

:yes:

I used that to survive at Reading festival. I was 15 and only brought about £30 and 10 packets of crisps. the crisps got eaten in the 1st night and the £30 went on fags and vodka. Kendal mint cake got me through :D
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    :yes:

I used that to survive at Reading festival. I was 15 and only brought about £30 and 10 packets of crisps. the crisps got eaten in the 1st night and the £30 went on fags and vodka. Kendal mint cake got me through :D

What's this Kendal mint cake things all about then?

What makes it so special?
  • Options
    It's basicaly bars of sugar, held together with mint syrup.