Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Molar Pregnancy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone has been through or had a molar pregnancy? My sister had a miscarriage urm about a month ago and she had the tissue removed by operation and they have now just yesterday we been told it was a partial molar pregnancy.

I have googled it but it is just big long words with very little significance.

Just a bit of a shock, with the potential risks and all that even though they are tiny they don't stop you thinking about them.

The doctor did try to explain a bit but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience or information?

Comments

• Options
    Does this help?
  • Options
    I have read that page before - I can use google :razz:

I was more after what actually happens from now - the doctor said continual testing but he did not say what tests and how often, just wait for the letters from Sheffield.

I guess because it is such an uncommon thing to happen no-one will have been through it themselves. It's just all the information on the internet seems to be just writing with no feeling, no understanding; just some "know it all" doctor from america or london writing an article for money. Mmm I dunno, Im asking for the impossible.

Thanks anyway
  • Options
    Heres a definition that might be kind of easy to understand... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/molar-pregnancy/AN00938 Can't be of any more help though, sorry.

It does have a happy ending though

Following a molar pregnancy, you should not try to become pregnant for at least a year. If you've had one molar pregnancy, you have a slightly increased risk of a second molar pregnancy. However, most women go on to have successful pregnancies.
  • Options
    sorry to hear that for your sister.
    Is there a higher chance of it happening again?
  • Options
    sorry to hear that for your sister.
    Is there a higher chance of it happening again?

She asked that, and yes there is a slightly higher chance of it happening again, but it is very uncommon anyway so the risk should still be low. Not low enough for my liking though.

Just keeping finger crossed that it sorts itself out and the tests in the next 6 months reflects that. Otherwise the other chance is it is reaccurant and could even spread into cancer in the other organs. Rare. But getting the molar pregnancy was rare and it happened to her. I can't stop thinking well getting the cancer is rare, but will it happen to her?

Fucking life eh, its such a bitch!
  • Options
    Oh wow. Thats horrible to hear, didn't know it could do that :( How old is your sister? Was it her first pregnancy? hug for her.
  • Options
    She's 19, 20 in November. Yes it was her first pregnancy, not planned like but we were all proper looking forward to it after the initial shock. We had started to buy stuff, then this happened. It was horrible enough just a miscarriage never mind all this after health shit which is fucking it up even more. Sorry just a little confused at the moment
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    She's 19, 20 in November. Yes it was her first pregnancy, not planned like but we were all proper looking forward to it after the initial shock. We had started to buy stuff, then this happened. It was horrible enough just a miscarriage never mind all this after health shit which is fucking it up even more. Sorry just a little confused at the moment

I have no advice hun but *hugs* I hope you and your sister are OK. Sounds like a horrible thing to have been through, but I'm sure everything will be totally fine. You know where I am if you need a chat :heart: