Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Repeat pill prescriptions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Interesting bit of news.

My home GP practise has recently started doing repeat prescriptions for the pill if you meet certain requirements!

Might be worth asking about if you find getting appointments to get the repeats a nightmare and generally have no problems.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting bit of news.

My home GP practise has recently started doing repeat prescriptions for the pill if you meet certain requirements!

Might be worth asking about if you find getting appointments to get the repeats a nightmare and generally have no problems.

Isn't that normal? I've had mine on repeat prescription since I started in 04... I just have to see the nurse every few months for my blood pressure check.
    Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
  • Options
    I've been on it 3 and a half years and I always have to get my blood pressure taken

ETA: that was a bit vague! I meant I'm not allowed to have it on repeat because I have to have my blood pressure taken each time
  • Options
    I get given 12 months at a time and then I need to go back for a check to get another 12 months...
  • Options
    I get given 6 months worth and when i need more i always have to get my blood pressure done.

I've been on the same one for 2.5 yrs.

grr
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Isn't that normal? I've had mine on repeat prescription since I started in 04... I just have to see the nurse every few months for my blood pressure check.
    Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Repeat would be when you don't have any contact with clinical staff to check it's okay i.e. without blood pressure checks.

Personally I'm really lucky, my GP surgery has both doctor's walk-in and nurses' walk-in surgeries so I just have to turn up at some point during 9.15-12am or 2-4pm and they guarantee to see you that day.
  • Options
    I meant without the appointment, as long as you've got a blood pressure reading within the last year then you get the repeat prescription without having to see anyone.

No nurse appointment no nothing.
  • Options
    i think they must have started doing this in a few places as i got given a years supply with no check up the other month.
  • Options
    I've always had mine on repeat since 06. I just ring up tell the woman i want a repeat prescription, then just go in and pick it up.

It does say on a bit of paper your are due a review on a certain date and when i went in ages ago about a different matter i showed the doctor the bit of paper and she just renewed the date on the computer, no blood test no nothing.
  • Options
    My docs have been doing this for the last couple of years. As long as you pop in once a year to make sure your blood pressure's fine and your insides haven't exploded, it's all good.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Repeat would be when you don't have any contact with clinical staff to check it's okay i.e. without blood pressure checks.

They wouldn't be allowed to not check your BP at all... Like I said, I get mine done every few months, the rest of the time I just pick up my prescription without seeing anyone.
  • Options
    When I first startedthe pill i called to make an apt after 3 months for bp and when I was there they thought I was nuts for coming in just for that (I should be worried :p ) mine gives it 3 months at a time and the pharmacy calls and gets the prescription renewed every 3 months, but after a year the doc will only give you three more months. If you don't go in for the full on stick up your fanny check up, he won't prescribe any more. I learned that one the hard way!
  • Options
    I was able to do this last time. Although I HAVE to see the Nurse/Dr this time as in the last six months its all gone to pot for me pill-wise.

If you dont have any ongoing probelms, regular blood pressure checks then it is a good thing.
  • Options
    my friend with high blood pressure, pcos, obese, and liver problems just got hers for 9 months...