Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police to access road cameras..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    If you have nothing to hide...
  • Options
    Am I the only one surprised they don't already do this?
  • Options
    Nope, I'd assumed that they have access to any CCTV footage...
  • Options
    I was surprised they didn't use them already. Seems daft when they use CCTV etc.
  • Options
    They were doing something to some extent... I think until now it had been limited to using the Congestion Charge cameras to look for stolen/untaxed cars.

But a while ago they were already talking about how the CC system could be allowed to 'fight terrorism' so I guess we were all being groomed for this.
  • Options
    I always assumed they did this anyway.

also i read a while ago that there are more CCTV cameras in crawley than there are in the whole of new york!
  • Options
    Like they say, if you've got nothing to hide...

But even then it's not like it will be used to follow Mr Smith and his PA sneek from their work place to a seedy hotel for an affair.

It'll be used to monitor possible terrorist activities and the like.

Think of the immense cost to monitor these 24/7 (Which is what they will need to do, unlike CCTV where they can just be manned during times of expected trouble)

People always bring up saying that its a big brother state, we're being watched all the while (and that is their opinion, they're can think whatever they like) [aimed more at general CCTV usage, but still relevent as a point] but i think somebody sat in an office surrounded by monitors all day will have the complete minimal interest in watching me walking down the street popping in HMV before going into Boots, before walking further down the street, giving my balls a scratch before popping into another shop, to be honest i think he/she will be pissed off enough with having spent the last 6 months scanning crowds in a busy city centre for 100s of suspects on his profiles.

And about using these cameras to look for suspected terrorist activities, if thats what they say they are using them for, then thats what they have to use them for, unless its part of their original use, if they catch you doing 45mph in a 40, they can't suddenly use it to prosecute you for that.

On a personal note i don't care where they stick cameras, the more CCTV the better in my opinion, providing the things work, then next time a loved one gets mugged or somebody gets a shoeing for no reason, they'll have a chance at catching the fuckers.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    I always assumed they did this anyway.

also i read a while ago that there are more CCTV cameras in crawley than there are in the whole of new york!

Looks outside her window... none to be seen here!

Crawley isn't that bad ;)
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Like they say, if you've got nothing to hide...

I have got something to hide.
  • Options
    Well stop being a dirty scum bag then :thumb:
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    We get more God like every day. Well, more God like powers of sight sound and communication over distances. I don't think we get any of his spiritual powers. These are the ones we need tbh.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal,genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard Dawkins

I'd say we get more like God everyday.
  • Options
    It'll be used to monitor possible terrorist activities and the like.

Define "terrorist activity" or better still, what do you think that our Govt/security services define as "terrorist" activity. Once upon a time being a member of a Union was considered subversive...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    noog wrote: »

Britain has 4.2 million CCTV cameras, one for every 14 people, more than in the rest of Europe put together.
    We have 1% of world's population but 20% of its CCTV cameras.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well stop being a dirty scum bag then :thumb:

Nice.
  • Options
    It's impossible to get in and out of London without being caught on a Police ANPR camera anyway, and it's quite difficult in any other major city. If the London council refused the police would have just set up more cameras.
    to be honest, they're a god send for us, being instantly alerted if there is a stolen car heading your way is a much more efficient use of resources than sitting a police car on every trunk road and getting them to write down and check the thousands of cars that go past them.