Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Living and earning and learning too.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, heres the deal. I'm in a bit of a pickle. Recently my family (and me) moved down to Southampton from York, with my dads job. It was alright, I was working as a motorcycle courier but I really missed my friends and some of the projects I was working on back in York. I wasn't going to college or school, so meeting new people was kinda hard. Anyway, two of my friends back in York found a house for me and them to move into. So I sold off my courier insurance and used the money to drive up to York and started to try and sort out a job up here. Then as luck would have it, the house fell through, my mate wrote his car off and then they both chickened out of the deal because they were too skint.

I'm staying at another friends house at the moment, but cant stay here all the time obviously. I really need my own place. I really want to go to college this september to finish my A-Levels off, but I don't know if I will be able to afford rent (which is looking to be about £333 a month incl. bills / internet) because of the amount of time college will take up.

I turn 18 on the 28th of July, so the course will still be free. Would I be eligable for EMA? or any kind of housing benefit? or should I be able to manage work / college / rent together fine? Just really looking for a bit of advice on the matter, and I would kinda like to know just exactly what would happen if I became ill or couldn't pay the rent - would I just be kicked out onto the street?

First time renting confusion haha.

Cheers,

Lawton.

Comments

• Options
    You are eligable for EMA.
  • Options
    I dunno if you will get EMA, cuz it depends on your parents income. I duuno tho,:confused:

Its just when I was at college a couple of years ago, my mate went to live in a hostel for the homeless and she managed to get a flat in the quarters type thing, she only had to pay £7 a week for rent, but she claimed social security instead of EMA. I THINK. Im confusing myself so just ignore me! :banghead:

Sorry if this hasnt helped you.

Go to your nearnest job centre or Citizens Advice Bureau and see what benefits you can claim.

Is your course full time?? I dont know how you'll earn £300+ a month if your course is full time, cos you'll be at college from like 9am till 3/4pm.

Have you got a job already sorted?? When I was at college some of my mates worked in shops at weekend, but me and another girl in the class got cleaning jobs! I know its cleaning, but I clean offices 5-7.30 at night and the pay is good, £6.40 an hour! and it fitted in with my college times and I still had time to do coursework etc.

Good luck:) and sorry for waffling on:blush:;)
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    I dunno if you will get EMA, cuz it depends on your parents income. I duuno tho,:confused:

You can. I know of 2 people who don't live with their parents and get EMA.
  • Options
    When it comes to EMA it's household income they base it on, so if your living by yourself not sure your parents income would count. There are also Learner Support Funds that can help. Best bet would be to speak to the college about all that though. Or look on the LSC website [URL=""]http://www.lsc.gov.uk/whatwedo/14-19/[/URL]