Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Sprains?

I've done something to my foot/ankle/leg, but I don't know what. I'm guessing its a kind of sprain or something, but seeing as I'm not a medical professional I wouldn't know. I've drawn a rather crude picture in paint to demonstrate (pretend you're looking at the inner foot/ankle). I don't know when exactly it started, but its been like this for about a month now, with no noticable improvement. Wearing different shoes makes little difference, walking it off seemed to be a bad idea too as I just end up in excruciating pain and hardly able to walk.

I'm reluctant to go to the doctors unless its totally necessary as they have a go at me about my weight every time I go about anything, and they'll just do it again this time especially as its a foot thing and at the moment I just can't deal with it as I've got a lot on mentally and I can't really cope with it. You can't see anything different, it doesn't feel to the touch anything different, so I'm not sure what they would do anyway. I don't want to waste their time or mine by having an appointment where they say rest it and nothing more.

So is it likely to be something more serious, or just a sprain that will get better by itself over time, or something I should see someone about? I've never had a sprain or anything similar before, so I don't really know what that would be like or whether its something worse.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IF it is a sprain then you would usually get swelling and RICE would make a difference. (Rest Ice Compression and Elevation).

With no known injury and no swelling it seems less likely to be a sprain (although not impossible). Stress fractures can cause this kind of pain, and the treatment for those tends to vary.

After a month, a sprain should show significant improvement, even if not totally gone, but it doesn't sound like this is the case.

If you are really anti going to your doctor you could try the walk in centre, they see lots of sprain type things and are less likely to nag about weight.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I tried finding a walk-in centre and there isn't one for about 40 miles, so other than A&E there doesn't seem to be an option for the doctors unfortunately :(
  • Options
    I sprained my ankle severely last year and was rushed to hospital and was x-rayed within 5 minutes of being wheeled through the a&e door. My foot looked like it'd swallowed a tennis ball and was frightening to look at.

If it is a sprain, then you should be weight bearing on it. Not walking will only cause problems later on, and hinder your recovery times.

I suggest popping in to A&E for an x-ray just in case. If it's just a sprain they'll send you away with nothing but a goodbye! Then, all you should do is RICE and weight bear whenever possible.
  • Options
    I sprained my ankle 2 months ago and it still hurts. I had mine x-rayed as well when i went to the hospital.