Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The cost of vets and pet medicine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have to register my cat at a vets here as she has an ongoing medical problem and has to take tablets.

Apparently the tablets cost £13 for 30 (one months supply) but I have found an online pet pharmacy where they cost £5. Does anyone know if I can simply get a prescription from the vets and then buy them online?

Also, how much do vets cost for a check up/prescription? I don't have a car so am already going to have to pay for a taxi there and back.

Someone mentioned PDSA vets, apparently they are free for people on benefits (which I'm not).

Anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    If it's an ongoing medical problem, expect to spend lots. Can't help you with the prescriptions online as I live abroad but wherever there is a sick animal, large sums are required. ;)

I can laugh about all the money my horse has cost me through vet visits now, but I find that when something serious has happened, the costs are a serious extra blow although I've never hesitated to pay. But after he came down with a really serious illness when I had no spare money, I now know to keep extra money for vet emergencies or just general check ups.

My vet check ups for a horse are usually from 30-40 quid depending on what I need to do, but they usually involve injections or 'maintenance work'. A house pet is probably less expensive, especially if it's just a check up for a known illness and they won't need to do anything particular.
  • Options
    We have 2 dogs. One has ongoing problems. Check-ups are normally free. The vet always says to us that he should charge us but doesn't unless a prescription and medication is involved.

We pay £20 a month for pet insurance for each dog. £70 excess. This is quite good considering the vet normally does the invoices in quartley batches so rather than paying a few excess charges a month, we only get one a quarter.

We have had our male dog (the one with the most probs) for nearly 4 years now and if we did not have insurance it would have cost us over £11k in vets and rehabilitation costs. Luckily it has worked out at about £700 due to insurance.

I think we have a very nice vet and that this is not common practice though!

NB: sorry that what I wrote really was not answering your question!
  • Options
    I cant seem to take my cat to the vet without it costing me £60-70, but then that is with meds thrown in.

As for using online places, yes you will need a prescription from your vet, which will obviously cost you money - so I doubt you will save much.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I cant seem to take my cat to the vet without it costing me £60-70, but then that is with meds thrown in.

As for using online places, yes you will need a prescription from your vet, which will obviously cost you money - so I doubt you will save much.

:eek2: I really can't afford to spend that much money, plus two taxis every 3 months.

I didn't choose to have a cat but I didn't have much choice in the matter. shit.

She was sick this morning too but seems ok, still gobbled her breakfast up.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    :eek2: I really can't afford to spend that much money, plus two taxis every 3 months.

I didn't choose to have a cat but I didn't have much choice in the matter. shit.

She was sick this morning too but seems ok, still gobbled her breakfast up.

Well there is always the bag in the canal route.

Or you can go to one of the charities, they normally give vet care cheaper.
  • Options
    Just booked an appointment for tomorrow. £30.50 for a consultation, then I have to pay for the medicine too. £5 each way in a taxi.

So looking at £60 upwards, which I can not afford :(:(
  • Options
    I think your best option is to talk to your nearest charity, explain the situation and ask them if they can help.
  • Options
    damn, that's expensive for a pet you never asked for. Is it a crime to pretend to be on benefits for the sake of an animal's health? I would be sorely tempted if I were in your position.

People keep offering kittens to me, but much as I want one, or a dog, I think I'm justified in saying no until I can really afford one.
  • Options
    I assume it would be a crime to pretend that you're on benefits.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, in the end, my boyfriend gave me a lift to the vets so I didn't have to pay for a taxi. The total cost was £45 :( but my Mum agreed to pay a contribution.

And the cat bit me, hard. Ouch.
  • Options
    Didn't you take this cat in as a favour for someone ? Shouldn't they be footing the bill ?
  • Options
    My cat cost £250 the last time I took it to the PDSA. Admittedly it was an emergency appointment on a bank holiday though and in the circumstances I was happy to give the money to them and know that it would go towards helping other animals than a private vet who is just making a profit.

However you might want to look into getting pet insurance as it at least spreads the cost of vet care evenly over the year - though I think there are lots of clauses of what it does an doesn't cover.
  • Options
    I think Kat's cat is too old. You have to insure a cat by the time it's 8 or so.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I think Kat's cat is too old. You have to insure a cat by the time it's 8 or so.

Not with all the insurers, some are different.

However, she'd need one that would also take on a pre-existing condition, which might be more rare.