Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Landlord problems

Ok, so I feel really stupid asking for legal advice when I'm graduating in a few hours with a Law degree but I'm completely stuck here as I haven't done any stuff specifically on tenant rights. I'm hoping recent LPC graduate Bunnie or Kermit can help me, hehe.

Basically, I've been a real idiot and signed a contract I didn't read properly (there was five other people viewing the room at the time and I really wanted it so just signed. Yes, I've been stupid).

Anyway, there is a number of things I feel uncomfortable about.

Firstly, the part about finding a replacement. I'm in the process of changing my contract to a fixed one but the forms are exactly the same yet it still seems to imply I need to find one to have my deposit returned despite my landlord telling me otherwise.

Secondly, the landlord keeps walking in and out of our house whenever he pleases. He doesn't give notice and he doesn't knock. He just walks in. Yesterday, he sent people around to view a room that a girl is still living in. He sent them round on their own. We didn't even know they were coming. They were complete strangers. In the contract is says:

"the tenant may peaceably hold and enjoy the property during the tenancy without interruption from the landlord"

&

"the tenant will - permit the landlord and anyone authorised by the landlord to enter the property at all reasonable times for the following purposes:
- the show new tenants around and examine the state and condition of inside the property"

I have a number of issies about this. Firstly, what constitutes "reasonable" because in my opinion sending strangers around at unexpected times is unreasonble especially as the room thats being viewed, a girl is still living in! I'm not just letting anybody into my home. Anyone can walk up and say they are coming to view a room. Also, can he really just come round whenever he wants without giving us notice whatsoever? It just seems well, weird! We rang the landlord yesterday and asked nicely if he could give us notice in the future and he shouted at us and said its in the contract he can do that!

What should I do?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey SWQ,
    Sorry to hear that things haven't been running as smoothly as hoped with the new place.

I agree that Bunnie and Kermit are probably your top guys here, but just thought I'd pop in with some avenues for advice.

askTheSite has a Q&A in the archive called Instant Access The situation differs from yours but there is some crossover - the hyperlinks, particularly, may well be useful. Also, you may find it helps to submit your own question to the Housing section of askTheSite.

Shelter also has some useful info on nightmare landlords that might help you sort out this situation.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks guys. Thats great advice.

GWST - We got given this inventory type thing to fill in when we got there. He signed it before I filled anything in so I'm going to mention every mark, lol.

I've just gotta get all this sorted now. Oh how landlords are a pain. I wanna be with an agency again!