Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

not quite sure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
its not for me its my sister, cos im worried about her.

shes having sex with her bf but they dont use any protection although he pulls out before he ejaculates, even though he pulls out before can she get pregnant

im just really confused and dont want her to get pregnant cos shes only 14, ive told her to use a condom if she is going to do anything but she wont listen

Comments

• Options
    Well...even with pulling out she can still get pregnant from pre-cum, might be worth warning her of this and just try and educate her best you can.
    I suppose it will depend on how good your relationship with her is if she will listen or not but you can always try
  • Options
    I regret to say, if she won't listen, she may well soon found out she should have done. It's more than possible for sperm to enter a woman before a guy ejactulates.
  • Options
    she can definately get preggers like that :(

gah - I'm so paranoid about the whole thing and always have been. I don't get how some people can be so unbothered.
  • Options
    You really need to sit your sister down and explain that she can get pregnant even if he doesn't come in her. Is there a reason she doesnt like using condoms ? Would it be possible to take her to the family planning clinic or your GP ?

If she isn't using protection because she is embarassed about going to see someone about it or buying condoms then thats really silly. I had an abortion at the age of 16 and let me tell you being examined by Drs and having my bits messed with was much worse than discussing contraception with my GP.

If theres an issue with her boyfriend not wanting to use them and making her feel she cant ask him to then thats totally disrepectful to her and she needs to let him know, she wants him giftwrapped or not at all.
  • Options
    I guess another line to take, although not ideal would be to suggest she goes on the pill. She should be able to get that from her GP of a family planning clinic (even at 14).

Another idea could be to buy her a packet of the more 'interesting' condoms and see if the novelty value appeals.
  • Options
    Not the bewst way of getting pregnant if youre trying for a baby, but a really really crap method of contraception.
    Drag her down the doctors for the pill if she wont use condoms
  • Options
    You can arm her with all the information in the world (maybe you can book an appointment at a family planning clinic for the two of you to go together so it's not so daunting for her?), but the responsibility of doing anything falls on her.

A lot of young people have a very lax attitude towards pregnancy and STIs, and often a lot of them have to deal with them the hard way. Some learn from this, others don't. You're in a horrible position as a bystander, all you can do is keep trying to get through to her, and if all else fails, support and be there for her if she needs help further down the line.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    icey wrote: »
    Well...even with pulling out she can still get pregnant from pre-cum, might be worth warning her of this and just try and educate her best you can.

:yes: I also agree with go_away in that at the end of the day the responsibility falls on her. In terms of arming her with info - here's some links to facthseets and games that you could direct her to on Sexwise's website R U THINKING - the content on the website is aimed at a younger audience than TheSite.org.

Here's a link to a pregnancy myths quiz that your sister could do - it's a fun way for her to find out that you can get pregnant (and STIs) if a guy uses the pull-out method. She may also be interested in finding out about the different types of contraception available. As Scary Monster says, she may be able to get the pill from a family planning clinic.

Also, I know this is may sound like a harsh line, but you may also want to remind your sister of the laws related to sex under 16.

Finally, it sounds like you're a really responsible person and want to do the right thing by your sister - that's really great. But try not to put too much pressure on yourself - if you're educating her then your job is done. :)

Take care.
  • Options
    thanks for all your suggestions and help.....im working on it!!
  • Options
    The level of sex education in this country really annoys me when kids think they can't get pregnant this way. Whatever next? "You can't get pregnant the first time you do it"?