Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Overdrawn - How can I deal with the bank?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I got my contract I used my old, unused bank account (as in I didn't use it for direct debits and my wages were getting paid into another account) to sign up for direct debit.

I forgot all about it until I got a letter from Lloyds TSB saying I was £4 overdrawn and would get charged £30 for it. I tried to phone them up and explain but I could never get through to someone.

Then the other day I got another letter saying I was overdrawn by £29 (my contract insurance) I totally forgot about that one. So now I owe the bank £30 for my direct debits and about £60 in charges. I really can't afford this, I don't get paid for 3 weeks and I have no other money, I already owe my mum a small fortune.

Help, please :( :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Could you contact them about raising your overdraft limit until you can afford to pay them back?

I've been pushing up my overdraft limit for the past few months after I ran into financial trouble and my bank has been pretty gung ho about it (after all.. they get more interest so it's in their interest if I'm in debt :p). As long as you know it'd only be a temporary thing you could give it a try. Just so you'll be able to survive for the next three weeks.

Also, if you owe your mum as well and are already penniless after the first week of the month maybe you should take a good look at your spending and see if there's something you could be handling better. It's very easy to get into a vicious cycle of going overdrawn/using the credit card to survive for the rest of the month and never having any free money. I'm just now getting out of that one after a rough spring.
  • Options
    Is it the first time your been overdrawn coz they sometimes let you off. If not then just pay it and then write them a letter saying you want that money to be refunded, if not you'll take them to court.
  • Options
    Go in and see them face-to-face and explain the situation. For first time charges it's almost impossible that they won't remove the charges in the current climate. Make sure you have some way to pay the amount that it's gone over by when you go in. You could do it over the phone but it will be much much easier if you actually see a person - it's a lot harder to be steal money from a person when they don't see you and givent he fact it's a genuine mistake they should be fine with it.
  • Options