Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Unions at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having some problems at work and have been thinking about joining the union.
Obviously you have to pay a monthly fee to them. Is it worth it?

Can I join them and then hopefully when all this blows over, just leave? I can't really afford to have anything extra come out of my monthly pay.

Comments

• Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Is it worth it?
    usually yes
  • Options
    Before you join make sure they will take on pre-existing arguments. Some won't.
  • Options
    I'm in a union, but only for the free legal representation if something goes wrong, which in my job is essential.
  • Options
    I wouldnt bother joining a union. Frankly I dont believe in them. But they have very little power anyways.

If its a big issue, get a solictor, if not there are better ways at dealing with employer issues.

:thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    Definitely join a union. Your employer has more rights than you do - rebalance the power a little.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I'd say have a good think, talk to ACAS and then join ;) Seriously though, as far as I'm aware, there's loads of benefits to joining the NUJ regardless of problems.