Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Money Abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to Greece this weekend and I'll be needing quite alot of money but I don't want to take it all in cash.
Is there a way of taking the money out of cash machines over there but not get charged for the service? I did this in Amsterdam and it cost me a bomb.

Comments

• Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I'm going to Greece this weekend and I'll be needing quite alot of money but I don't want to take it all in cash.
    Is there a way of taking the money out of cash machines over there but not get charged for the service? I did this in Amsterdam and it cost me a bomb.

Why don't you take travellers cheques plus you'll be insured for them too if anything did happen
  • Options
    Why don't you take travellers cheques plus you'll be insured for them too if anything did happen

I took a LOT of these when I went travelling and there great. M&S do them commission free if you have time to get into Brighton. Otherwise try the post office.

Taking cash out of ATMs abroad is very, very expensive.
  • Options
    do you have to get travellers cheques in the currency of the country you're going to?

because i'm going travelling very soon, and will be going to lots of different places, so not sure if travellers cheques are the best option?
  • Options
    I think they can exchange them in the country you're in. I think, don't quote me on it though.
  • Options
  • Options
    I would just use a ATM, it will cost you a couple of quid, but make sure you take a big wedge out and you wont need to do it often.

Nationwide do free money withdrawls abroad. I must admit I cant be arsed with travellers cheques. They are so much hassle, and not everywhere takes them.

You could use a credit card if you have one?
  • Options
  • Options
    Nationwide don't charge for withdrawals abroad.

Hmmm, that's useful. I used to have a Nationwide account, but closed it when they wouldn't give me an overdraft facility. I defected to RBS - you don't know their policy per chance?

I don't have a credit card.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, rob you for every penny they can take ;)

hmm, i don't remember being charged for withdrawals when i was in the usa last summer.

however, eastern europe may be different, perhaps?
  • Options
    Yeah, rob you for every penny they can take ;)

same with HSBC
  • Options
    From what I remember, when I went to Kavos two years ago, there was only one cashpoint, and it charged me a couple of quid to get money out.

I find travellers cheques a hassle. I mostly took cash and hid it. Not ideal but what can you do?
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I mostly took cash and hid it. Not ideal but what can you do?

I took all cash when i went to malia a few weeks ago and just put it in the safety deposit box in my room and it was safe enough
  • Options
    If you are going to a relatively western country I've always found that just using cash points for large amounts the best way - granted the rate isnt stunning, but on the amounts involved it really doesnt mean very much.

It entirely depends on where you are going, for how long and how much you are wanting to spend.
  • Options
    I took a LOT of these when I went travelling and there great. M&S do them commission free if you have time to get into Brighton. Otherwise try the post office.

Taking cash out of ATMs abroad is very, very expensive.

Unless you're with the might Nationwide of course in which case it's absolutly free

The rate is also set by Visa, so you shouldn't get ripped off. When i went to Prague a few years back, the rate over here was approx £1 - Kc41, over there it was being offered at Kc38, whereas with drawning it from the cash machine i got Kc40, so pretty reasonable i thought.

Edited because i've just realised a few people have also mentioned one of the advantages of being with the glorious Nationwide, opposed to one the shockingly awful big 5 robbing bas*%^ds
  • Options
    same with HSBC

Yeah, HSBC is who I'm with...Kellie and Katchika, how long were you there for and how much cash did you take?
  • Options
    Yeah, HSBC is who I'm with...Kellie and Katchika, how long were you there for and how much cash did you take?

I went for a week and took about 900 euro. As soon as i got there i put it straight in the safe. I just took money out everyday for what i needed and also everynight for going out.
  • Options
    I went for a week and took about 900 euro. As soon as i got there i put it straight in the safe. I just took money out everyday for what i needed and also everynight for going out.

I'm going for 2 weeks and I'm only taking 550 quid! :nervous: I wanted to take 600 but got a bit carried away in Brighton the other night.
    I'm worried this won't be enough but I hear you can get drunk cheaply out there?
    I took 400 quid and spent it in 3 days in Amsterdam..but I was buying more expensive stuff...

How much is 900 euro's in pounds sterling?
  • Options
    I'm going for 2 weeks and I'm only taking 550 quid! :nervous: I wanted to take 600 but got a bit carried away in Brighton the other night.
    I'm worried this won't be enough but I hear you can get drunk cheaply out there?
    I took 400 quid and spent it in 3 days in Amsterdam..but I was buying more expensive stuff...

How much is 900 euro's in pounds sterling?

I went for 2 weeks. Can't remember how much I took, probably spent about £150. I was half board though so didn't buy much food (bar a few sexy doughnuts and bagels from Desperados for late breakfasts!)..mostly got free drinks as well. The only thing I really spent money on was excursions (went on one to Albania, and one to the Blue Lagoon), and buying stuff from the shops like fake designer clothes and jewellery. You could spend an absolute fortune there though, specially if you want to do stuff all the time like go karting, fun fair rides etc.

And as a bloke, you won't get free drinks. The drinks there weren't that cheap, but we used to buy drink from the little shops and drink on our balcony before going out.
    :)
  • Options

And as a bloke, you won't get free drinks. The drinks there weren't that cheap, but we used to buy drink from the little shops and drink on our balcony before going out.

Mish. I won't be wasting money on any lame rides or clothes.
    I just want the basic living stuff (we're self catering), to get drunk every night in clubs and maybe do a couple of excursions.
    Out of interest, how much was a trip to Albania and what does it include?
    I know I won't get free drinks, but can't you blag people down to giving you cheap cocktails and shots if you stay in their club all night or something?
  • Options
    The drinks there weren't that cheap, but we used to buy drink from the little shops and drink on our balcony before going out.

We used to do that. Just have a few before you go out. Also you get free fish bowls and shots and stuff plus their measures over there are way bigger than over here. I took like 60 euro out woth me on a night time and i'd still come back mortal drunk with alot of change to spare.

900 euro is about £608.00 by the currency converter. I came back with some and had bought presents for people and spoilt my son. So don't worry im sure your money will last hun ;)
  • Options
    or clothes.
    (we're self catering), to get drunk every night in clubs and maybe do a couple of excursions.
    I know I won't get free drinks, but can't you blag people down to giving you cheap cocktails and shots if you stay in their club all night or something?

I went self-catering too and i hardly ate properly, was far too hot too. I went on a booze cruise when i went away was brilliant and i kept it til my last day so if i had ran out of money i still had something to do the last day. Yeah you can blag your way to free drinks especially when you leave some where and they beg you not too then it's free drinks all round :lol:
  • Options
    :yippe: :hyper: :D

I'm so up for it!!!
  • Options
    :yippe: :hyper: :D

I'm so up for it!!!

I hope you have a wicked time hun. Go out and rock Kavos :naughty:

Show them how it's done!!!
  • Options
    Just dont get bummed.
  • Options
    Mish. I won't be wasting money on any lame rides or clothes.
    I just want the basic living stuff (we're self catering), to get drunk every night in clubs and maybe do a couple of excursions.
    Out of interest, how much was a trip to Albania and what does it include?

Wait till you see the rides and you might change your mind. There is a bungee ball right in the middle of the strip, very tempting to go on after a few drinks. There's some good watersports as well, I did paragliding.

What tour operator are you going with? Usually their excursions are a rip off and they pressure you into doing them, but you can book them locally much cheaper.

I booked the Albania trip from one of the Greek operators on the Strip, I'm not sure how much it was. It was fairly pricey because it included a minibus to Corfu Town (which I recommend you visit, there is a bus that goes there from Kavos every hour), ferry over, food, port fees etc. I don't know if it would really be your thing, I was just interested to go there. Oh yeah and I had a holiday romance thing with someone I met on the ferry

:blush:

To be honest I think I only paid for one drink in a bar in the whole fortnight, and the price wasn't much different to UK prices. But there are usually offers on like free shots etc. I think a lot of them are watered down though.
  • Options
    Wait till you see the rides and you might change your mind. There is a bungee ball right in the middle of the strip, very tempting to go on after a few drinks. There's some good watersports as well, I did paragliding.

What tour operator are you going with? Usually their excursions are a rip off and they pressure you into doing them, but you can book them locally much cheaper.

I booked the Albania trip from one of the Greek operators on the Strip, I'm not sure how much it was. It was fairly pricey because it included a minibus to Corfu Town (which I recommend you visit, there is a bus that goes there from Kavos every hour), ferry over, food, port fees etc. I don't know if it would really be your thing, I was just interested to go there. Oh yeah and I had a holiday romance thing with someone I met on the ferry

:blush:

To be honest I think I only paid for one drink in a bar in the whole fortnight, and the price wasn't much different to UK prices. But there are usually offers on like free shots etc. I think a lot of them are watered down though.

I'm going with Olympic.
    I would be interested in visiting Albania and definately Corfu town. I may be a party animal but I love cultural things too and I think it would be a shame to spend 2 weeks in Greece and not see the real Greece at least once.
    Oh, and I don't like rides full stop. I hate theme parks and stuff so I don't think that'll be a problem. lol
  • Options
    I'm going with Olympic.
    I would be interested in visiting Albania and definately Corfu town. I may be a party animal but I love cultural things too and I think it would be a shame to spend 2 weeks in Greece and not see the real Greece at least once.
    Oh, and I don't like rides full stop. I hate theme parks and stuff so I don't think that'll be a problem. lol

This is a photo I took on the beach in Kavos:
    I give up.
  • Options
    This is a photo I took on the beach in Kavos:
    I give up.

Nice!
  • Options
    Cofu town is lovely - get the bus there though - the normal regular bus that normal greek people get - becuase all of the tour operators will tell you there is no but into town and try and sell you one of their tours but its a blatent lie - if in doubt ask a cleaner as they are always au fait with public transport.

HSBC charges me £1.50 every time I take money out abroad - which is ok if yoru getting out largish sums but not if you get out €20 every day. You can also use your switch card in large shops to by stuff just like as home.

Enjoy
    x