Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

insuring myself to learn to drive in someone else car

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A good friend of mine has offered to teach me to drive, but the only problem is finding insurance for me to drive his car...

how do i go about doing this and what do i need to insure, me or the car or both or what?

or is it better to just learn to drive off road on private property until i get basic stuff and then go for a few driving lessons...then i wouldn't need to be insured surely?

Comments

• Options
    I think you will find it very hard and very expensive to find insurance if your just learning.

It might be better if your friend who is teaching you can obtain insurance (again this wont be cheap)

Your going to need to also insurance for third party liabilities, incase you crash and damage property or the person.

If you can learn on private land I would suggest that.
  • Options
    Basically you need to be added as named driver to his policy. It will cost you though.

It's not actually possible for you to have you own policy because it's the car that's insured and not the person. As the car is his then the policy must be in his name.

Whatever you do, make sure that you are covered - don't just drive uninsired on pravte land because if you damage the car then he's gonna want to claim from you personally (possibly)...
  • Options
    but surely being added to his policy would be very expencive still as would it be to get insured to drive on private land?
  • Options
    Basically you need to be added as named driver to his policy. It will cost you though.

I dunno about that, when i was learning to drive my boyfriend put me on his car as learner and they gave him a £50 refund on his policy as it worked out cheaper! Then once i had passed he rang them up to tell them thinking it would go up and they said they don't distinguish between learners and full liscence holders, so i think he did pretty well out of that :p
  • Options
    You might think it's expensive, but my car insurance is cheaper with my fiance, who only has a provisional licence on the policy than if I were to be on my own....:S

Get him to add you then pay the extra. However I wouldn't make this a permanant arrangement, whilst a friend will be good at teaching you the basics, it'll be much easier for you in the long run to get some professional lessons.
  • Options
    he's in colchester, so it's much cheaper!

I'm going to have a few proper lessons, but i can't afford to have a lot so i want to get used to the basics and stuff before i start having lessons...
  • Options
    go to a big empty car park, and have a spin without insurance. He can teach you to start and stop, change gear, parrallel and bay park on private land. You won't bash his car, just go somewhere with space where noone's looking. then get proper lessons. Bad habits are harder to unlearn than it is to learn the right way... probably
  • Options
    I used to not want to learn to drive cos I didnt know which way was which for the indicators :blush:

Not that that has anything to do with the thread, but yanno.
  • Options
    te he, that's kind sweet. can you drive now? Do you love it :D
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    te he, that's kind sweet. can you drive now? Do you love it :D
    Haha, yes I can drive now.

I got over my fear of the indicators and yes I love it, girl racer me :cool:
  • Options
    init! I got loads a mods. Fag burn in the seat, chip in mi windscreen and... my exhaust is hangin' off so I sound like a proper girl racer in mi gold 5dr punto. lol
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    init! I got loads a mods. Fag burn in the seat, chip in mi windscreen and... my exhaust is hangin' off so I sound like a proper girl racer in mi gold 5dr punto. lol
    :o

I have a proper gri racer boy racer car me!
  • Options
    Get him to ring his insurance, and get a quote on how much it would cost you to be a named driver. My fella put me on his car insurace and it was only £8 a month! I was 17 and learning to drive.