Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smear tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
..Always a great subject :thumb: But seriously, when I first had sex and we split up, all of a sudden I realised I knew nothing about this man I had slept with, nothing intimate anyway as you can imagine we hadn't been seeing each other THAT long, but I thought it would be best if I got myself checked out, I didn't think it would be that bad realising it would be quite uncomfortable.

So, I book my appointment, gear myself up and it starts and I can quite safely say I have never in my life experienced such pain as that was, I laugh when I look back, but it was so painful that when it stopped and I got up I fainted and going home in the car I just felt so horrible I was in tears and just couldn't or didn't want to feel down there at all, and I was actually wondering if other females have had this problem? It was my first and probably wont be my last but do they really hurt THAT much, or was it the cruel woman doctor..(after being advised later, that males are much more gentle) :no:

Comments

• Options
    It could have been nerves. The thought of it (especially since it was your first) tensing up (even if you didn't realize it) It my experience, at the worst, you feel a little bit of pressure. Were you still around the doctor when you fainted? Did she ask any question? If not, I'd definatly find a new one. It may have been the doctor, or it may have been you, but I'm a bit worried if she never said anything when, from what it sounds, she probably knew you were in pain.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    It could have been nerves. The thought of it (especially since it was your first) tensing up (even if you didn't realize it) It my experience, at the worst, you feel a little bit of pressure. Were you still around the doctor when you fainted? Did she ask any question? If not, I'd definatly find a new one. It may have been the doctor, or it may have been you, but I'm a bit worried if she never said anything when, from what it sounds, she probably knew you were in pain.

Yeah, I mean maybe it was me tensing up but it was so painful I was literally screaming with pain telling her to stop, I think she's just one of those rough doctors, as soon as I got dressed again I sat down and fainted she woke me up asked me If I was okay, etc, I just sort of screamed at her to get my mum lol but literally just the thought of it these days is enough to make me feel sick, so next time I think I'll find out if I can go somewhere where it's more professionally done.. and not just shoved in :lol:
  • Options
    No i don't think its just you, when I had my first smear test (and only smear test so far) I found it incredibly painful, I was in tears and the nurse said to me "it really shouldn't be that painful" which basically made me feel like an idiot! I also worried about the fact that it had been so painful and thought for a long time that there was something wrong with me! I think if the nurse had just told me that women can find it painful then I would have just to it to the back of my mind and never given it a second thought. Incidently I think the most painful part was that weird clamping contraption that holds you "open" urgh just the thought of it gives me the shivers!
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    No i don't think its just you, when I had my first smear test (and only smear test so far) I found it incredibly painful, I was in tears and the nurse said to me "it really shouldn't be that painful" which basically made me feel like an idiot! I also worried about the fact that it had been so painful and thought for a long time that there was something wrong with me! I think if the nurse had just told me that women can find it painful then I would have just to it to the back of my mind and never given it a second thought. Incidently I think the most painful part was that weird clamping contraption that holds you "open" urgh just the thought of it gives me the shivers!

Thank god! I'm not the only one! It's a scary moment I have to say and like you whenever I think about it, it really does go through me to the point of making me lose my appetite. That's what everyone said to me, it shouldn't be that painful but, I had only maybe a month earlier lost my virginity and I don't think my muscles were used to be 'pulled' apart ! At least not without some sort of turn on before (lol..true though) Everyone said to me that I should try and disown the bottom part of my body when It happens, but how the hell is that possible?! When she sort of scraped it, I just couldn't believe no one heard my screams in the waiting room, it's really put me off having it done at any other point if i NEEDED to have it done again.
  • Options
    dont worry, i had my first one about 3 months ago and i thought it absolutely killed as well! i was in tears but i was trying to hold them back because i felt so stupid & embarassed ! i think it was just because I was nervous and also its so...i dunno, invasive to have someone looking at you that closely down there!

i also had a male doctor which made me feel worse because i didnt know, i thought it was going to be a woman. the two female nurses were really nice though, one of them gave me a tissue for the tears and were dead nice to me afterwards.
  • Options
    Oh this thread makes me think I just have a giant vagina :o
  • Options
    Oh this thread makes me think I just have a giant vagina :o

Nah alot of it is to do with how relaxed you are.
    First few i had didnt hurt, last one i had recently hurt like fuck as i was tense.
  • Options
    I've got a test tomorrow and reading all this just is reminding me how painfull they are. Im scared now lol :crying:

This is my second one tho and i have the coil in so i've had them duck beak things a few times lol
  • Options
    i had a swab taken at the GUM clinic. Is this the same sort of procedure? Cuz that one hurt me but my friend cracked up when the dr yelled for a smaller spatula thing.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    i had a swab taken at the GUM clinic. Is this the same sort of procedure?

Yeah it is
  • Options
    oh the doctor i had was really nice and kept apoligising
  • Options
    I go to the docs but i ask to see the nurse, she lovely. I think if you feel comfortable with someone and they put you at ease it calms your nerves alot
  • Options
    well the doctor (a bloke) jabbed a spectrum in me when they thought my waters mightve broke and that hurt like s*** and when they checked how many cms dilated in the middle of a contraction!!!:mad: i am NOT having a smear test.unnecessary crap:p
  • Options
    do you get a letter when its time for a smear test? just wondered as ive never had one (a smear or a letter about it)
  • Options
    I think so.

They don't start doing them 'til you're 25 though.
  • Options
    I take it thats changed over the years then? As i remember having my first way before i was 25.
  • Options
    Yeah, they shifted it back a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    i am NOT having a smear test.unnecessary crap:p

and finding out you have Cervical Cancer too late is just a mere inconvenience?!
  • Options
    It shouldn't have hurt. It feels uncomfortable, but if it was painful you were obviously not relaxed. You will get used to it over time.
  • Options
    :mad: i am NOT having a smear test.unnecessary crap:p
    Tell me how screening you to see if you have potentially cancerous cells is "unnecessary crap"?
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    Tell me how screening you to see if you have potentially cancerous cells is "unnecessary crap"?

Well said. No-one likes it, but it is very much necessary, contrary to what you might think.
  • Options
    well the doctor (a bloke) jabbed a spectrum in me when they thought my waters mightve broke

they jabbed a rainbow up there? :eek: :eek: :eek: i wonder if they left a pot of gold behind? :D
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »

:yes: A bit of discomfort for a half a minute once a year can't even compare to years of cancer and death.

Plus my gyno is hot and its the closest thing I get to forplay ever. I'll take it.
  • Options

They don't start doing them 'til you're 25 though.

Hold on, I got my letter through days after my 21st birthday.
    I am dreading it now...ha thanks very much:)
  • Options
    Aren't you supposed to have one every 3 years after you've 1st had sex and from 25 if you haven't had sex?
  • Options
    Plus my gyno is hot and its the closest thing I get to forplay ever. I'll take it.

OMG
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought it was something like that, because apparantly the younger you have sex the more likely it is you will be affected by cervical cancer. So you're encouraged to go as soon as you become sexual active.
  • Options
    I had my first one last year, i went in about missed periods etc and she decided to open me up right then and there with no warning....it wasnt painful, just uncomfortable and i didnt expect it. I never went back to that Dr because she was a bitch. I've had the duck beak thing by two ther Drs and one of them had a disposable plastic one which was much better than the cold metal ones.

Oh and btw, don't your Dr's use lube on the duck beak things, cos mine do.
  • Options
    I had one, but it didn't hurt. If anything it just felt uncomfortable, but it lasts for how long? A minute at the most?!
  • Options
    The duck beak things are called speculums, btw :)