Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I never

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a rant

Comments

• Options
    But you get better remedies as there's more money put into it!
  • Options
    Not part of P&D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    my_name wrote: »
    want to hear any of you ever EVER complain about your healthcare. I don't care if you have to wait 10 years to get your wisdom teeth pulled or 37 years to get a wart removed. You have NO idea how good you have it. I'm sure I sound like some of those P&D fools, but I swear to you. Not only in the amount of money that you don't spend for medicine, doctors, and insurance, but the hassle of it all. The stress and hassle and more stress of dealing with these insurance companies is more pain than any overpriced doctor or wait can ever be.

Know how lucky you are. And most of all, I never want to hear anybody complain about a 6 pound prescription! Try $109 for one month of asthma medicine.

I fucking hate insurance companies :\ Ridicelous (more so than my spelling) stressfull expensive shit for little to no financial help plus even more stress and wasted time.

God Bless America and the Capitalist system.

The NHS is one of hte best things to ever happen. It's just a shame we don't have a left wing government who appreciate it anymore.

Bloody system. NHS = good. Crappy conservative governments = bad. I do include our current rulers under that too.
  • Options
    You have NO idea how good you have it.

Oh i do, I've seen SiCKo :)
  • Options
    tbh, i love the NHS, i had the best healthcare for all 3 of my ops, nurses coming to my house every day etc etc (after ops)

Couldn't fault the maternity when my little boy was born, i mean that was just brilliant not that i've experienced,

and now im having my tonsills removed, i've to wait 4-5months, not bad imo for a non urgent op.
  • Options
    For many things I couldn't fault the NHS except for the way they treat their staff, which is disheartening for the staff, and you drift towards get staff who are fed up, pissed off and stressed and this comes across in the manner in which they treat their patients.

The cleaning standards are another issue, if you've ever seen a hospital cleaner do their thing it will all become clear, and if you find out how much they are paid and how much training, support or supervision they get things move from being clear to blatantly obvious.

Follow up care is from my experience poorly organised and you've got to be very determined, demanding, know exactly what you need, and have a damn good understanding of the system to get what you need from my experience.

That said, we are very lucky, at the point of care things are free and there are no surprise expenses, and no battles with insurance companies over whats covered and whats not.
  • Options
    I do relaise how lucky we are to have the NHS. The US system sounds like it sucks big time for the majority.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I like having the NHS, apart from silly GPs being too far up their own arse to diagnose me, (I am sure that was more of a personality issue rather than professional!) I have had amazing experiences with my operation and dates etc.
  • Options
    I have gripes with a few people I've seen over the years, but like Bunnie its more personal really. Other than that I don't really have any complaints about the NHS at all. The US system does sound rather unfair.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the new Michael Moore film's coming out?

I remember one episode of 30 days with Morgan Spurlock where him and his other half had to survive on American minimum wage. He knackered his hand up at work, spent all of that month's money on a doctors bill (including something like $30 for "medical supplies" which amounted to a single stretch of bandage worth about 50p), then spent some of next month without any money because he couldn't work because of his hand. The American system is indeed a shit-tip. Having said that, I've had hardly anything wrong with me, so I reckon I'm at a net loss as far as the NHS is concerned. I should injure myself and get my money's worth.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    But you get better remedies as there's more money put into it!

No, a small section of society gets a kick ass health care system, the rest either dont get any, or have to pay loads.

44 million people in the US have NO insurance at all, imagine that, every time you wanted to go to your GP, get a prescription, anything you need to pay for it out of your pocket.

And yes, technically if you are a life and death case the hospital will (probably) treat you, but they will send you a bill for it all afterwards.

Its vile for a country which prides itself on being 'god fearing' and christian to let thousands of people die for lack of healthcare.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the new Michael Moore film's coming out?

I think sometime next month, but a DVD version is already on the internet, and michael moore has already said that he doesnt mind if people copy it :)
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    I think sometime next month, but a DVD version is already on the internet, and michael moore has already said that he doesnt mind if people copy it :)

Oh, I bet that pleased his distributors.
  • Options
    Im grateful to have the NHS, however, we do contribute towards it. Well, those of us earning a wage do.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Im grateful to have the NHS, however, we do contribute towards it. Well, those of us earning a wage do.

Oh so unemployed people don't pay tax ? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I love threads like this :D

NB NHS costs about £1800 per person per year...
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »

So what do you think the tax we pay on stuff we buy goes towards?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Lining the pockets of the government.

And i dont know if unemployed people pay NI.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    So what do you think the tax we pay on stuff we buy goes towards?:rolleyes:
    All sorts of stuff other than the NHS? I think you and Rubberskin are missing the point that workers pay national insurance, which is a much more direct contribution than V.A.T etc.
  • Options
    And most of all, I never want to hear anybody complain about a 6 pound prescription!
    You won't hear me complain about that - different parts of the UK have different systems with this. Wales has scrapped prescription charges completely. Scotland is intending on doing the same over the next few years. Meantime, England's will go up and up...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    You won't hear me complain about that - different parts of the UK have different systems with this. Wales has scrapped prescription charges completely. Scotland is intending on doing the same over the next few years. Meantime, England's will go up and up...

I bloody hope not considering that if I had to pay prescription charges in the last few months, I would've already spent nearly £30 on them. (and hardly used any of the medication)
  • Options
    Just watched Michael Moore's new film, Sicko and, whilst having to take a lot of what the fat hypocrite has to say with a pinch of salt, there are some very interesting arguments made and some shocking exposes of the US healthcare system, and especially the insurance companies.

Perhaps the most moving bit was when he took a load of really ill people whose insurance companies wouldn't fund the care they needed to Cuba where, owing to the Cuban health service being absolutely first class, got treated free of charge and got pharmaceuticals at such a discount it wasn't funny. One woman, for her respiratory drug, was paying $120 for what in Cuba cost $0.15. Very interesting film.
  • Options
    I'm glad we have the NHS, although I haven't had much use of it. Thank goodness for free contraception though, when I went to the USA I was surprised women have to pay to be on the pill.

It annoys me though when you hear about stuff like people having their lady bits tightened or breast enlargements on the NHS.
  • Options
    I'm sure I sound like some of those P&D fools, but I swear to you.
    Mwahahahahaaaaaaa!! Now you are one of those P&D fools.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    All sorts of stuff other than the NHS? I think you and Rubberskin are missing the point that workers pay national insurance, which is a much more direct contribution than V.A.T etc.

... and you miss the point that NI isn't the only source of funding for the NHS. In fact NI is just tax in another guise and actually bears little relationship with the NHS at all.
  • Options
    Mwahahahahaaaaaaa!! Now you are one of those P&D fools.

Beat me :(