Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Veggie sarnies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend takes a packed lunch to work and usually has to eat on the go so sandwiches are the best option for him. He doesn't eat meat and not a lot of fish but the doctor has told him he must lower his cholesterol. We're trying to cut down on cheese but sandwiches are proving to be a problem! He has egg and tuna sometimes, and hummus. After that we're out of ideas!

We're on a very tight budget so things like quorn slices and ready made sandwich fillers and pates are a bit expensive for everyday. Anyone got any ideas or recipes for non cheesy veggie sarnies! Much appriciated!

Comments

• Options
    you can get cheap fish pastes cant you? or do what i do and have crisp sandwiches when i feel poor..hehe
  • Options
    lettuce + sour cream + crisps is a favourite of mine.

have you tried different types of bread to vary it a little? such as pita bread, rolls, wholemeal etc
  • Options
    As you're on a budget make your own humous, i do. I don't like the humous in the shops as it's got tahini in it which i don't like.

Drain and rinse a tin of chick peas (or buy the ones you have to soak and cook 'em yourself). Put in a food processor with freshly ground pepper, 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, juice and chopped zest of a lemon and a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Blend it up and add more yoghurt until it's of a consistency that you like.
  • Options
    salad sandwiches :yum: especially with grated carrot in them too.
  • Options
    Waldorf sarnies, though it can get a bit messy as the filling falls out :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If you want substitute creamyness, what about low fat philidelpia cheese, or avocado (may be a bit high in the wrong kind of cholesterol, not sure), or hoummous as Rubberskin said? Does he like California rolls or sushi?

Also, the following websites may give you some ideas -
    The Vegetarian Society here and here
    The Vegan Society

They may not all be healthy, but I hope that helps to inspire you!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    As you're on a budget make your own humous, i do. I don't like the humous in the shops as it's got tahini in it which i don't like.

I make my own but it never seems to be as nice as in the shops! :( He has homemade unless I can pick up some on the reduced shelf

Ladyjade whats a californian roll? No sushi - he's not that adventurous!
  • Options
    You could stuff a pitta bread with some veggies like peppers and tomoates and hummus or guacamole? Its delicious but also really simple to make. You could add some falaffel too.

If you have a bit more time you could get some bean burgers (or make your own) cut them into slices and put in a tortilla wrap with some peppers, lettuce and sour cream.

When you find a few things he likes experiment with different breads like pitta, wraps and rolls to keep it a bit more interesting!
  • Options
    would hummous be cholesterol friendly though? Its fairly high fat.
  • Options
    That would be the tahini, plus i think store humous has extra added oil to make it look/taste more attractive. My recipe will be quite low in fat, even lower if you used a very low fat natural yoghurt.
  • Options
    different flavours of hummus, spinach adn tomoatoes with hummus is a good one.

also when you make dinner, do you have any veg or anything left over to go in sandwiches? like if we were making a curry tonight we'd fry and cook up a bunch of veg, make a curry sauce with it, and then save some of that cold to go in sandwiches tomorrow (is actually really yummy). Works out dead cheap too.

also try wraps instead of sandwiches, something different.

You can also get quorn style 'ham' specially made to go in sandwiches, which is low in fat
  • Options
    H-face wrote: »
    You can also get quorn style 'ham' specially made to go in sandwiches, which is low in fat

It's more than just ham you can get, and if you read the OPs post you will see that she says they are quite expensive for every day use.. and I have to agree!! I don't use them every day for the very same reason.

I am a veggie too, and I have to be honest, sandwhiches are a nightmare when you don't include cheese.

You could have salad and hummus, then crappy ones like jam and marmite, I mean they taste nice but it's not filling..

I like having quorn chicken style pieces (the frozen ones) and cook them up and stuff them into wholemeal pittas with humous and salad .. very nice !! and a bit easier on the wallet..

Maybe something weird like banana sandwhich? lol

Sorry I can't be more than help, but even after 23+ years as a vege, sandwhiches are a fucking nightmare!
  • Options

I like having quorn chicken style pieces (the frozen ones) and cook them up and stuff them into wholemeal pittas with humous and salad .. very nice !! and a bit easier on the wallet..

I tried that yesterday in a roll - I used the quorn pieces and mixed up a kind of coronation dressing. The problem I found is that quorn is quite dry so I felt it needed more dressing - not good for the calorie counting! :banghead:

Sorry I can't be more than help, but even after 23+ years as a vege, sandwhiches are a fucking nightmare!
    :yes:
  • Options
    I'm a veggie and don't eat cheese in sandwiches, so don't tend to eat many sandwiches to be honest. But when I do have them, tend to have salad sandwiches/rolls with a bit of mayonnaise.
    Sometimes have houmous and salad, just cucumber or just marmite.
    Banana and chocolate spread sandwiches are nice but banana sandwiches tend to go a bit yucky throughout the day if you're taking them to work or whatever. If I've made fajitas, cold fajita wraps are also good.
  • Options
    would hummous be cholesterol friendly though? Its fairly high fat.
    Yeah it is... And the low fat stuff isn't that nice, you know?

I'd actually go for the salsa sauce, that's pretty lush... Have it with salady kinda stuff.

I occasionally use the vegan sandwich tofurkey kinda stuff, but it's pricey.

Apple makes a nice butty actually.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Yeah it is... And the low fat stuff isn't that nice, you know?

I like it - can hardly notice the difference. Often make my own but I end up with masses of the stuff!! :(
  • Options
    does he have to have sarnies? This site has loads of suggestions:

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    does he have to have sarnies? This site has loads of suggestions:

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

I use that site alot. He doesn't always have sandwiches but often we're short of time and sandwiches are the easiest option!
  • Options
    yeah, sandwiches are convenient. What about getting a tupperware tub, and having left overs from dinner for lunch the next day, are you veg too?

ETA: cold quiche is yum, and there are instructions on this board for how to make your own too.
  • Options
    Heinz Sandwich Spread :D It's about 65p and lasts me about two weeks worth of sandwiches.