Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Advise pls - going for a job and pregnant!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am 12 weeks pregnant and have seen a job I want to go for, working in a private nursery (just fiished my course - childcare and education) I dont wanna tell them I'm pregnant cos they wont employ me I! So shall I just say nothing and tell them (if I get the job) when I start. :banghead:

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I think you'll kinda have to tell them, they may just start to think you're getting fat otherwise
  • Options
    You could always be one of the people who go 9 months and dont know they're pregnant til they go into labour.

Or you could leave it til you start showing. Congrats by the way :)
  • Options
    I will tell them, if I get the job. But I thought I could tell them when I'm settled in (like 3 weeks) and make out I did'nt know about it!
  • Options
    Don't tell them! If you get the job obviously mention it but definately don't tell them before you've got it - you might get some stick for it but once you get the job (if you do - good luck btw) they cant sack you for being preggers whereas it can be a factor for not employing you (although they cant say that!)
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    Congrats by the way :)

Rubberskin - thanks for that, very usefull.

diddlybop - I dont think I'm gonna tell them, I just feel bad for not telling them!
  • Options
    Tell them once they have offered you the job, because it is illegal to discriminate against you because you are pregnant. If you tell them at interview they will just mark the interview so that you are not the best person for the job, but if you tell them afterwards they are stuck with the decision.

Bear in mind with starting a new job that it might affect your entitlement to Statutory Maternity Pay, as you have to have either worked with your current employer for 26 consecutive weeks before the qualifying week, or you have to be working for your employer in the qualifying week. The qualifying week is 15 weeks before your baby is due.