Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Liquid Diets (Not For Weight Loss)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the moment I cant eat solid food, and i cant for another two weeks. Im getting bored of just soup and smoothies and its only been a week and im losing weight. Can anyone recommend me any liquid food thats more substantial so im not getting hungry all the time. For some reason the hospital seem to forget to see a Dietitian for me. Im going to ask myself on Monday but in the meantime can anyone give me any ideas. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Having asked my mums whos a nurse:

You can have pretty much whatever you want as long as you can liquidise it to the right texture so you can eat it. Shes done roast dinners, fish and chips etc at work. Try to get a balanced meal and it will come out with very little taste so you might want to season it. The hospital might give you vitamin/calorie shakes if they think your losing too much weight, but trust me there foul.
  • Options
    Coca cola is good for keeping energy up.

Leek and potatoe soup is usually a fairly filling one, not sure if you're in hospital or whether you've got access to someone to blend stuff for you, but soups that are basically vegetable puree are far more filling than the packet sort.

Can you manage well mashed potato? Cheesey mash is good and is alright for a lot of liquid diets.

McDs milkshakes are pretty filling for some people too.
  • Options
    Coca cola is good for keeping energy up.

Leek and potatoe soup is usually a fairly filling one, not sure if you're in hospital or whether you've got access to someone to blend stuff for you, but soups that are basically vegetable puree are far more filling than the packet sort.

Can you manage well mashed potato? Cheesey mash is good and is alright for a lot of liquid diets.

McDs milkshakes are pretty filling for some people too.

It has to be liquid. My teeth are physically tied together. Soups with bits in get stuck in my teeth. I dont have a blender :(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Renzo wrote: »
    It has to be liquid. My teeth are physically tied together. Soups with bits in get stuck in my teeth. I dont have a blender :(

When I broke my jaw I mostly had those nutitional milkshakes and different soups. I never bothered with anything else.

I didn't really have a problem with losing weight.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Shes done roast dinners

How does that work then?

Renzo - don't take this for gospel, but I'm sure I read somewhere that taking Slim-Fast milkshakes can help you stabilise/gain weight. Something to do with it being a calorie subsitute or something.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    How does that work then?

Cooking a sunday dinner and putting it all in a blender?? Thats what we used to do for the babies at work!
  • Options
    How does that work then?

Renzo - don't take this for gospel, but I'm sure I read somewhere that taking Slim-Fast milkshakes can help you stabilise/gain weight. Something to do with it being a calorie subsitute or something.

As long as they're eaten with something. So I could have a meal and a slimfast and I'll put on weight. (or should do anyway)
  • Options
    How does that work then?

Yeah, aslong as you don't have it instead of a meal but aswell as whatever else you are eating then you can't go wrong.
  • Options
    have you been having yoghurts? and jelly and what about mashed potatoes, curry and rice mashed up, any sauces and rice (chinese and indian ones come to mind).
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    Cooking a sunday dinner and putting it all in a blender?? Thats what we used to do for the babies at work!

:yes:

Not having a blender Renzo is a tricky one. Can you borrow one?
    Just make sure you mention it next time you have a check up.
  • Options
    How much longer is it wired for (I'm assuming that's whats happened) ?

If you've got a couple of weeks still to go it might be worth getting a cheap argos/tesco/sainsburys handblender (I've seen them for less than a tenner) which will make it a lot cheaper to make smoothies etc. If you do, for when you are making soups, really overcook the veggies, makes it a lot easier to blend.

Those protein shakes that gym nuts drink might help too. If it's a problem though, get an appointment with your GP on Monday (not getting decent nourishment because of an injury counts as urgent) as they can probably help a bit and may be able to prescribe those nourishment drinks.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    At the moment I cant eat solid food, and i cant for another two weeks. Im getting bored of just soup and smoothies and its only been a week and im losing weight. Can anyone recommend me any liquid food thats more substantial so im not getting hungry all the time. For some reason the hospital seem to forget to see a Dietitian for me. Im going to ask myself on Monday but in the meantime can anyone give me any ideas. Thanks.

fruit smoothies
    complan

you can liquidize almost anything
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    fruit smoothies
    complan

you can liquidize almost anything

I was going to say complan, I had that when I had glandular fever when I couldn't chew or swallow and it tasts quite nice, there's a few others as well that you can get from Boots and Superdrug. The dietician might give you drinks like fortisip and fortijuice but for what patients have told me there not all that nice, but give them ago you might find one you like. There packed full of everything you need too!
  • Options
    i get given Ensure milkshakes
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Complam is what I had. I didn't lose any weight and it didn't get boring. It's only a few weeks.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ive got some complam thanks. Some different types of soups, smoothies. Fun stuff. Thanks.
  • Options
    Get a potato and boil it until it's soft, then mash it with a bit of milk to make it creamy (or non-sweetened soy milk which is what I prefer) and then add gravy and mince if you like. It's also good, swede mashed with carrot.