Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

problems with fatigue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone else have problems with tiredness? i seem to get tired easily and a lot. I'm trying to turn my life around after years of depression, and after going to the doc about it, they seemed to think it may have been chronic fatigue syndrome, but i'm not convinced as it seemed to ease for a few months. Maybe i just have a poor immune system or am slow and lazy; but has anyone else got any similar problems or remedies? any suggestion is welcomed..

Comments

• Options
    Did they run any tests at the doc?

Heres an article from Mayo, it lists out some reasons for fatigue, for both medical conditions like thyroid or anemia, and lifestyle habbits like inactivity or diet.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fatigue/HQ00673

I'm tired all the time and sometimes it gets unbearable, like fall asleep on the toilet at work unbearable :p. Thats always when my thyroid is acting up. I remember my doctor telling me about little hints. Like never take naps or sleep out of your bed and don't do hobbies like reading and stuff in your bed. Sort of like training your body that bed = sleep... something weird like that. It was years and years ago and I never tried it, but maybe worth a mention.
  • Options
    they did blood tests, but apart from that, no. they came back fine, nothing to worry about. i'm not anaemic or have problems with thyroids, don't have glandular fever...

yeah, i get what you mean, i try to get up and continue to do stuff during the day, it usually helps. it's just frustrating when i want to do so many things, but i can't. i even drifted off in my tutor's office after a little panicking moment. i woke up and he was looking at me!
    anyways, you get me..
  • Options
    Are you eating enough?
  • Options
    I used to get really fatigued (blood tests were all clear) until I changed my diet and started exercising. Never looked back really.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I used to get really fatigued (blood tests were all clear) until I changed my diet and started exercising. Never looked back really.

good points. people have been saying i've lost a bit of weight. but its not like i haven't been eating... i do excercise but probably not enough.
    hmm..i don't know. i'll give it a go but it's difficult. :( :chin:
  • Options
    It depends on what you're eating though, and how often. I used to eat lots of high GI foods e.g. white bread, white pasta, sugary products, and the slump I felt afterwards would make me feel bloated, tired and hungry again.

With the exercise, you don't have to jump into a drastic change (just yet ;) ). Try getting up 20 minutes earlier than you normally would, and go for a brisk walk or something. It might help to set you up for the day and make you feel refreshed.
  • Options
    I'm getting over being ill and inactive for a while and struggling a bit with fatigue, slightly different situation but maybe some of these will help.

I'm having to really work at making sure I eat a healthy diet.

I have a proper meat and 2 veg type meal a day, and two other light ones. Doing this and not just continually grazing on this and that has helped.

Exercise is the key, in a way the more I do, the more energy I get. To begin with you have to push yourself, I started with walking up the stairs in one go, but you'll be better than that.

Try and get some form of exercise in a day, starting with brisk walk type stuff. Get yourself slightly out of breath if you can. You should hopefully find that at the end of the day this leaves you tired in a healthy I've been doing stuff kind of way, rather than the fatigued feeling. You can then build up your energy levels through exercise, gradually the cycles of reasonable exercise and reasonable sleep start to change how you feel. It doens't work over night, but the improvement I've had over a fortnight has been evident.

What I've said may not solve things, but it's good for you anyway and won't do you any harm so is definitely worth a shot.
  • Options
    will try it. thanks.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    It depends on what you're eating though, and how often. I used to eat lots of high GI foods e.g. white bread, white pasta, sugary products, and the slump I felt afterwards would make me feel bloated, tired and hungry again.

With the exercise, you don't have to jump into a drastic change (just yet ;) ). Try getting up 20 minutes earlier than you normally would, and go for a brisk walk or something. It might help to set you up for the day and make you feel refreshed.

I agree with his opinion.
  • Options
    leecian wrote: »
    I agree with his opinion.

Her ;)

Fatigue can be caused by lots of things, and often doctors won't figure out what it is - whether it's CFS, thyroid problems, depression etc.

Are you doing a lot at the moment? I find that when i'm doing less i actually feel much more fatigued - when i'm busy i get tired in the evening but that's an entirely different feeling.

If it is CFS, then the recommendation is to sort out your diet and do graduated exercise, so to second what go_away said, a brisk walk or turn about the block might help.
  • Options
    Her ;)

Fatigue can be caused by lots of things, and often doctors won't figure out what it is - whether it's CFS, thyroid problems, depression etc.

Are you doing a lot at the moment? I find that when i'm doing less i actually feel much more fatigued - when i'm busy i get tired in the evening but that's an entirely different feeling.

If it is CFS, then the recommendation is to sort out your diet and do graduated exercise, so to second what go_away said, a brisk walk or turn about the block might help.

i've just completed a course (one year) that took up a lot of my time, plus the hill i have to climb to get to the place is steep! i may have tired myself out, i had problems with all work and no play... but during the holidays i've been doing pretty much nothing. so it's not exactly been a varied routine, just fast then slow, loads then nothing... i'm starting to think it is just who i am. meh:confused:
  • Options
    i suffer chronic fatigue syndrome and it does go away and come back, there is absolutly nothing u can do for it unfortunatly but i have found that taking a daily vitamin tablet n resting as much as you can while u r fatigued help greatly. worst part is ya neva no when its gonna hit u n there r no tests they can do to c if it really is m.e
  • Options
    this isnt really going to be helpful but ive been feeling the same as you for along while, always tired and drop off in weird places several times ive fallen asleep at work or at uni, i dont really stay up very late because i just end up falling asleep anywayl, my diets really pretty good and i exercise pretty regularly but i still feel tired all the time, the doctors have never found anything to be wrong with me it just seems to be one of those things that happens for me.
  • Options
    Sopycookie wrote: »
    this isnt really going to be helpful but ive been feeling the same as you for along while, always tired and drop off in weird places several times ive fallen asleep at work or at uni, i dont really stay up very late because i just end up falling asleep anywayl, my diets really pretty good and i exercise pretty regularly but i still feel tired all the time, the doctors have never found anything to be wrong with me it just seems to be one of those things that happens for me.

that's interesting and kinda good to know that i'm not the only one, but itsn't it so frustrating to not know what it is or how to deal with it...
  • Options
    I've been the same, really fuck off tired for the last few months or so. I admit my diet isn't the best and I do binge drink at the weekends, but most of the time I feel like I could stay in bed like all day and just sleep. I'm not unhappy or anything like that, I think I might get some blood tests done cause it doesn't really feel normal.

Next couple of weeks will be quite hard though, cause I'm working on late shift till 9 and my sleep patterns will get a bit of a beating :grump:
  • Options
    it can get really frustrating especially because it irritates my boyfriend sometimes when i start having naps in the afternoon...he sometimes tries to stop me which get me really annoyed because i cant really help it if i need to sleep but generally i get along okay....had another nap at work today...doesnt really help that i can get away with doing that because i can go hours and hours without seeing anyone so nobody notices :)
  • Options
    must...stay...awake...