Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fish recipes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any easy fish recipes? I've been vegetarian for 7 years but I've decided to start eating fish. I'm a bit scared of cooking it though! Preferably low in fat, and I'm trying to cut down on cream/creme fraiche and cheese so I'd like to avoid those if poss, but any suggestions welcome!

Also any advice on choosing which fish, which is generally cheapest and how to be sure the fish is dolphin friendly and nicely kept? If that makes sense, I don't know much about fish!

Comments

• Options
    Look online for stuff about sustainable fishing, that's always a good indication of how much it's going to be and how ethical it is.

One of my favourite fish recipes is to take small pieces of cod or unsmoked haddock (any reasonably meaty white fish), and layer up some tin foil with tomato, onion, fish, tomato, onion, then pour a little olive oil over, some lemon juice and seasoning, then make the tinfoil into a parcel and bake in the oven for about 30mins.

Salmon in the oven with lots of garlic, grated ginger, a little sweet chilli sauce and seasoning is pretty good - put it in a tin, rub all that onto it with a bit of olive oil, cover with foil and bake for about 25 mins.

Also, if you can find a recipe online (it's a bit of a pain to type out), kedgeree is really good - sort of spicy rice and fish. Like the uk's version of paella!
  • Options
    My boyfriend has taken to salmon lately. Marinate and grill. Easy and no added fat. He's used a lemon pepper marinade which was good. (straight from a bottle, easy :thumb:) I guess its best to grill ontop of tinfoil and not on direct heat.
  • Options
    Do you mean BBQ? Cos you don't grill onto anything over here.. we grill under a grill, which has heat above the food you're cooking. Is that what you call braising?
  • Options
    How do you know when the fish is ready? I'm worried about undercooking it
  • Options
    Oh thats way too many cooking terms for me to understand. Easiest way with pictures I guess :p
    http://69.36.242.248:8082//250x400/Weber_One-Touch_reg_Silver_Charcoal_Grill_II.jpg or http://69.36.242.248:8082//250x400/Broil_King_Imperial_Series_Gas_Grill_with_Cabinet.jpg ??

I guess maybe bbq... but I just use that term to describe flavors.
  • Options
    Ah thats a bbq. A grill is on the oven and you cook toast and fish fingers under it
  • Options
    Promise, last hijack... can I see a picture to help a simple mind :p

And my parents used to cook fish, they would coat it with some sort of mixture of flour, some nuts and stuff and bake it in the oven. I could find that if that sounds appealing at all.
  • Options
    No personal experience of cooking fish but Sara's method of baking in foil in the oven is one of the best ways to cook fish. You keep all the flavours in, the fish won't dry out and you don't get fishy pans :)

Just let your imagination go wild. Dill, tomato, onion, fennel, lemon, pepper, basil, garlic all go really well with fish.

You could always make a paste of say finely chopped red pepper, garlic, tomato and lemon juice. Spread it on the top of the fish fillet. Bake like Sara's suggestion in foil, then when it's finished pop it under a hot grill for a couple of minutes so it goes crispy.
  • Options
    A great fish is red snapper, or tilapia. Enough for one person and really tasty.
  • Options
    Here is a list of Rick Stein recipes on the BBC Food website. He's the first "fish chef" I thought of, so maybe some of the recipes will appeal to you. There are links to more pages at the bottom.
  • Options
    Tuna steaks are divine.

Marinade them in some lemon juice salt and pepper and then girddle them in a griddle pan, and you don't have to worry about under cooking it as lots of people prefer it rare, still pink in the middle.

Jamie Oliver has a really good fish pie recipe as well.
  • Options
    fish finger sandwiches :yum:
  • Options
    Fish pie. (which is just fish, potato and some bread crumbs or something on top)
  • Options
    fish finger sandwiches :yum:

Oh I love fish sandwiches. With tarter sauce and cheese and lettuce :yum:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If you have any ethical concerns about the sustainability of the fish you are eating, I can recommend the Marine Stewardship Council website, that will also tell you where to buy sustainably caught fish, and The Good Fish Guide is fantastic, and Seafish has some good recipes on it.
  • Options
    Ah Ladyjade thanks for those links just what I was looking for :)