Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Have indie kids killed indie...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    honestly though, SO many ppl take the piss out of indie/scene kids... liking them in order to fit in would be a strange choice seeing as people like that are hated so much.
  • Options
    Why no LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Belle And Sebastian, The Shins, The Flaming Lips, The Decemberists, Bjork, and all the other good independent artists around at the moment.
    You're wrong on at least one of those. LCD Soundsystem are signed to DFA Records, which is owned by a major, EMI Records.
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    honestly though, SO many ppl take the piss out of indie/scene kids... liking them in order to fit in would be a strange choice seeing as people like that are hated so much.

Yeah, but the worst ones are the ones who say they aren't indie/scene kids but blatantly are into the whole thing because it's cool but still seek attention just as much by advertising their "love" of 8578537821355896537 bands they've heard will earn them cool points. Or in other words, they try and make it look like they've been into the whole for ages and ages even though they haven't.

None of them are "being themselves", they're being the stereotype because they've got no individuality of their own beyond what they're told to be like.
  • Options
    At the end of the day, it's all a load of shit.

I listen to Hardcore (the dance music kind), and I always will, despite many people claiming that it died years ago and that it's a load of shit. It's all about hard house, trance and new skool drum & bass (although I like this too) these days apparantly.

But fuck them, Hardcore will never die.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense, I'm a wee bit drunk.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    You're wrong on at least one of those. LCD Soundsystem are signed to DFA Records, which is owned by a major, EMI Records.

No it isn't. EMI are the disributors for their records. Every independent has a major distributor or it never gets into shops. DFA was founded by the James Murphy out of LCD Soundsystem. If you'd said Radiohead on the other hand, they were signed up to EMI for all 6 of their albums (though not the 7th).
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    liking them in order to fit in would be a strange choice seeing as people like that are hated so much.

There are social cliques everywhere, lots of people hate emos/townies/moshers yet there's loads of them about. It's a teenage thing really.

Pill'ed- H.T.I.D. ;)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Pill'ed- H.T.I.D. ;)

H.T.I.D!!!
    :thumb: :D
  • Options
    No it isn't. EMI are the disributors for their records. Every independent has a major distributor or it never gets into shops.
    Partially correct. EMI Records UK is known as the parent label. They also own the licensing rights, which meant if you wanted to use an LCD Soundystem track for a compilation, it would have to be cleared via EMI.
  • Options
    I'd just like to point out that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah aren't an NME band and were first lauded by Pitchfork Media. I cannot see how they can be comparable to The Kooks who are nothing more than a pop band. Don't make generalisations about things you know nothing about.
  • Options
    No the only thing that kills indie is the short-mindedness of those who own radio stations who ignore what is on small labels and those music fans who ignore what is not played on such radio stations and doesn't make the charts, even though the internet is out there to expose people to far more music than they previously had access to.

When I post my chart I get loads of replies of "never heard of it" but very few who make any effort whatsoever to check it out, even when I post links.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    when these songs came on it was like someone had just shat in their cereal, they didnt know what was going on...

:lol:
  • Options
    No the only thing that kills indie is the short-mindedness of those who own radio stations who ignore what is on small labels and those music fans who ignore what is not played on such radio stations and doesn't make the charts, even though the internet is out there to expose people to far more music than they previously had access to.

When I post my chart I get loads of replies of "never heard of it" but very few who make any effort whatsoever to check it out, even when I post links.

any links to your charts etc. i am interested :)
  • Options
    I hate going to 'alternative' nights when they play nothing but 'chart indie'. That isn't alternative, it is what is on the radio all the time. The same souless, unintelligent bullshit.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I hate going to 'alternative' nights when they play nothing but 'chart indie'. That isn't alternative, it is what is on the radio all the time. The same souless, unintelligent bullshit.

That's what gets me though. I thought all these "alternative" types usually loved bands until they became popular, then deny ever liking them? They used to back in my day anyway.
  • Options
    There are plenty of decent indie bands and tunes around. Just takes a bit of searching. Its just flavour of the month at the moment so theres bound to a lot of shite hanging around
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

haha, i hate that too. luckily the places i go play alternative like Black Flag, Mudhoney, MC5, The Fall etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    That's what gets me though. I thought all these "alternative" types usually loved bands until they became popular, then deny ever liking them? They used to back in my day anyway.

:yes: that still happens all the time.
  • Options
    Seeohbahn wrote: »
    Ooh - where do you go??

a few places in bolton have dj's who are mates. play all sorts.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    a few places in bolton have dj's who are mates. play all sorts.

dog and partridge innit :p:D
  • Options
    i see your point i get really annoyed about dickheads who don't appreciate good music or at least classics but still label themselves as ''indie kids'' or ''ravers'' or whatever. . . . . any way leave them to it. they havent killed indie because i reckon its more popular than ever. i still dont really like it though.
  • Options
    i see your point i get really annoyed about dickheads who don't appreciate good music or at least classics but still label themselves as ''indie kids'' or ''ravers'' or whatever. . . . . any way leave them to it. they havent killed indie because i reckon its more popular than ever. i still dont really like it though.

Miss the point much?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It does my head in to be honest.

In my teens I got into the raving scene, and the cunts that used to bang on about how it was much better in their time used to really piss me off. The music was better, the pills were better, the people were sounder etc etc.

Moaning cunts.

New blood is what keeps underground scenes alive.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    maybe its just people discovering music for the first time and the first stuff they hear is gonna be most popular. then i guess theyll want to hear more and discover less popular artists

btw, i agree with Dan the Man - there are bands out there, if you look.
  • Options
    How are they killing indie music?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote: »
    It does my head in to be honest.

In my teens I got into the raving scene, and the cunts that used to bang on about how it was much better in their time used to really piss me off. The music was better, the pills were better, the people were sounder etc etc.

Moaning cunts.

New blood is what keeps underground scenes alive.

:heart:
  • Options
    Im a huge fan of the old school indie stuff, its all i listen to. I do like some newer bands but for me it'll take something special to beat the likes of The Cure as all the new bands seem very generic and are all very similar but they claim to be fresh and contraversial.

I have a story about the Cure (actually might of been someone else but doesnt really matter) and new "indie" kids. I was listening to said band when someone in the same flat (live in halls) came and asked what i was listening to. When i explained they said that i have only liked them since they became big! and that because they saw Bromhead jackets (think thats what they are called) before they were known it means they are the bigger music fan. Also i dont apparently dress "correctly" to be a fan of indie music.
  • Options
    dog and partridge innit :p:D

you know it!

ps. talk on msn soon pls k thnx
  • Options
    hi sonic youth, slightly off topic....which is the best sonic youth album to get as im liking some of thier stuff. im tempted by daydream nation as it has been called in some quarters thier best album. also it has teenage riot
  • Options
    i meant to call you O o but was blinded by your sonic youth tag