Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Protein shakes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today while I was at the gym I overheard (well, I was more nosying) some men at the weights talking about protein shakes and creatine, I think that was it anyhoo, I was just wondering if there is any benifit from taking them?

Comments

• Options
    thevandahl wrote: »
    Today while I was at the gym I overheard (well, I was more nosying) some men at the weights talking about protein shakes and creatine, I think that was it anyhoo, I was just wondering if there is any benifit from taking them?

What kind of protein? Ha.
  • Options
    I usually have a protein shake during/after my workout as it saves me from having to take some turkey slices or hard boiled eggs to the gym ;) If I'm having porridge for breakfast, I'll put a scoop of protein powder in it to make the carb/protein/fat balance a bit more favourable.

The protein powder belonging to my boyfriend has creatine in it, but I don't take it on it's own as a suppliment, as it only really holds water in the muscle adding to the bulk like appearance. Some people I know swear by it, others won't touch it, different strokes really.

In terms of supplimentation, excluding the protein powder, I take a multi-vitamin and a fish oil suppliment.

What are your overall aims?
  • Options
    It depends on how long you've been training for, less than 6 months and i'd forget it.
    If you think you've really gotten into it however and and want to seriously put on some muscle then its worth looking into.

Protein shakes just give you that extra boost of protein (suprisingly) to help build the muscles (this is normally drunk a couple of times a day - shouldnt replace a proper diet though)

Everyone already has creatine in their muscles but taking it as a supplement draws water in from other places making your muscles look more pumped. It also gives a little extra boost so you can generally do more reps/push yourself a bit harder.

As i said though, not even worth thinking about unless you've been training for quite a while
  • Options
    Aahh right, thanks for all the info :thumb: !

I just go the gym to lose weight and tone up really, I've been going for a year now to this gym I'm at now, but been regularly been working out and going the gym for 3 years.

I may have a nosey in Holland and Barratte, see if they have any and what it says.
  • Options
    If you're only going to tone up and lose weight then i'd image protein shakes/creatine to be a waste of money, they're generally used by people wanting to bulk up and put on muscle or by sport playing people to give them more stamina
  • Options
    ah okay, well I've just joined a running club at the gym, so if they help with stamina I may still have a look and maybe give them a go.