Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Exercise during pregnancy

Besides walking and swimming, I was just wondering what kind of exercises I can do whilst pregnant?
I'm not overly keen on going for walks alone because I'm too paranoid about anyone that comes near me.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yoga or Pilates, I wanted to go to pregnancy belly dancing classes when I was pregnant but I couldnt stop being sick long enough to make it to a class.

Cycling too, as in on an exercise bike, I did that for a while but had to stop when I got SPD.
  • Options
    something i found on the nhs site http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=946

hope it helps you a little. happy exercising lol
  • Options
    Do you have a gym membership? They often have different classes specifically for pregnant women. Lots of water ones for the summer too. I always see a couple of very pregnant women in some light aerobics or toning classes also.

They make alot of pregnant work out videos too... if you'd be interested in that.
  • Options
    swimming.
    anything low impact should be ok.
  • Options
    sex, don't rule out sex.
  • Options
    sex, don't rule out sex.

With being a bloke you may not know but when it comes to sex or jogging can you actually feel the baby go up and down inside you if you know what i mean?
  • Options
    no . When baby is big enough to be able to feel it, its already pretty snug and its in fluid anyway, so you wont feel it bouncing around like a ball or anything.
    I never noticed anyway. Mind was generally otherwise preoccupied at those times. Tbh I think the motion sends them to sleep anyway
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    With being a bloke you may not know but when it comes to sex or jogging can you actually feel the baby go up and down inside you if you know what i mean?
    You are joking arent you?
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    You are joking arent you?

Why would i be? I've never been pregnant so it was just a thought that crossed my mind.
    Thanks for answering Suzy :)
  • Options
    I continued to cycle when I was pregnant. I'm not sure that it's recommended (in case you fall off, probably) but it never caused any problems for me.

Swimming, aquafit classes etc, walking, pilates etc are the most widely recommended and safest. But as has been said, anything low impact at all.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link.
    I'm going to start aquanatal classes when I get back off my hols when I'll be 26 weeks. I need to try tone my legs up abit though because all this doing nothing and eating more is making me quite flabby!

I'm not overly keen on sex since getting pregnant, it's hard to get baby out of my head and can be off putting.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    This article has some information on exercise during pregnancy if you want to have a read...

Young mums
  • Options
    Janjan wrote: »
    it's hard to get baby out of my head

:eek:

I've heard of ectopic pregnancy but that's a new one on me

;)

BTW You aren't the first to think like that, you won't be the last. Bottom line is that, unless you have been advised otherwise, sex is perfectly safe (including female orgasm if you are lucky enough :) ) and that it's down to personal choice
  • Options
    Another downside to sex (to absolutely no fault of my fiance's because he's as amazing as ever) is I've lost my ability to orgasm the last 2-3 times we did it! Seems like alot of effort for nothing now lol!
  • Options
    Thanks for the link.
    I'm going to start aquanatal classes when I get back off my hols when I'll be 26 weeks. I need to try tone my legs up abit though because all this doing nothing and eating more is making me quite flabby!

Why are you eating more? Your not supposed to incrase what you eat whilst pregnant except for in the last 3 months when you need to increase the ammount by 200 calories a day which is like 2 slices of toast.

On a lighter note you can probably do like leg toning excersises and stuff i'm sure that's low impact as for most of them your toning rather than jumping around.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Why are you eating more? Your not supposed to incrase what you eat whilst pregnant except for in the last 3 months when you need to increase the ammount by 200 calories a day which is like 2 slices of toast.

If id have eaten the same amount in pregnancy as I do not pregnant or breastfeeding, then I would have been absolutly ravenous, sick and weak.
    While in THEORY you dont need to up your food intake by that much, in REALITY you do. growing a baby is incredibly tiring and hard on the body, and most people end up eating more to try and stave off the fatigue and the sickness.
  • Options
    Another downside to sex (to absolutely no fault of my fiance's because he's as amazing as ever) is I've lost my ability to orgasm the last 2-3 times we did it! Seems like alot of effort for nothing now lol!

You have to wonder how much of that is mental state though, wouldn't you say? Given your noted concerns about sex at the moment...

Still, so long as you still enjoy it - even if not as much.

As a bloke, of course, I should say that many of us (me included) find pregnant partners veeeeery sexy. Can say why. What this means though is that we still want to show you that you are desirable even though you may not feel like it... sorry!
  • Options
    If id have eaten the same amount in pregnancy as I do not pregnant or breastfeeding, then I would have been absolutly ravenous, sick and weak.
    While in THEORY you dont need to up your food intake by that much, in REALITY you do. growing a baby is incredibly tiring and hard on the body, and most people end up eating more to try and stave off the fatigue and the sickness.

As far as I knew we just had to increase slightly throughout pregnancy, not just the last trimester anyway?
    As you said SCC, you need the extra food for other reasons, at the beginning sickness being a main one. I keep a small tub of dried cereal in my bag with me for when I get abit hungry (which leads to sickness) or feel sick any time during the day.

As for sex, I do still enjoy it but I think my partner as well as me is slightly concerned about positioning etc too as he doesn't want to 'squash' the baby! And I can't for the life of me figure out this 'spooning' malarky!
  • Options
    So, doggy, you on top... there are other options which don't mean he is lying on top of you...

Trust me, three kids & one miscarriage means that I've had plenty of opportunity to work that out ;)
  • Options
    theres no danger of squashing the baby really. the only danger is some positions might not be comfortable for you. Obviously the mish is out with a big bump but plenty of others are absolutely fine.
  • Options
    i dont particularly like doggy :( and i have bad knees so can't go on top! lol *awquard*