Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

aunt treating my grandma horribly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here's the situation: my grandma used to live with me in my parents house but my parents don't actually live there as they live in Malaysia so it was just my grandma and I. When I turned 18 my grandma had to go and stay with my aunt at her flat. My aunt doesn't actually live in the flat, her 16 year old son does. My aunt lives 4 hours away with a man she met on the internet, shacked up with, didn't want her kids so she chose them over him, severly abused her but you know, that doesn't matter. So basically, all my grandma was there to do was to be a babysitter for my cousin.

Which would be fine except my 73 year old grandma, who is probably the tiniest, most frail person you might meet, has to do all the work and look after a yorkshire terrier, who is the most untrained, most annoying dog who barks all day and they have had so many complaints about. My grandma obviously can't take this hyperactive dog out for walks and my cousin obviously can't lift his legs up to do it so the dog ends up peeing and doing his business in the flat that my grandma has to pick up and clean. My grandma also does all the house work without any help whatsoever from my cousin because he is just so damn lazy. My grandma is always so sick when she's there. Whenever she comes to my house she is sooo happy.

My aunt treats my grandma like a servant. She never tells her son to do anything to help out. My grandma is always crying because my aunt tells her off all the time. My grandma came to stay with me last week and she is still at mine. Earlier, I was in my room trying to nap but my aunt rang and then I overheard my grandma crying to my other aunt about what my horrible aunt said. Apparently my grandma left out some socks to dry before she came to mine last week and they fell onto the grass below. So apparently, next time my grandma goes anywhere she, according to my aunt, "had better finish all your work". FFS, why doesn't she just hire a servant????!! She talks to my grandma as though she is worthless! I am so angry and I'm crying as I'm typing this because it wasn't just a one off. This always happens. My aunt is always telling my grandma off for things that she has done wrong, which according to my aunt is that she isn't looking after the flat properly. Like wtf that's not my grandma's freaking job!

When my grandma was on the phone to my other aunt earlier crying she was saying something like "how can a daughter speak to her mother like that?" and how can she? My grandma has never done anything to my horrible aunt to deserve being treated like a maid. My aunt is just such a cow. My grandma is going back to my aunt's flat again next week and is only allowed to come back to mine on the condition that she brings that f***ing dog with her. So my grandma will only be allowed to leave the flat and stay at mine, where by the way, I have my aunt's cat which she has dumped on me because.. I don't even know why, if she brings the dog with her because you know, looking after a dog would be so damn hard for a 16 year old.

Sorry for the massively long rant but I just can not comprehend how a daughter can be so damn horrible to her mother, who has done nothing wrong, nothing. I asked my mum if my aunt was abused or anything as a child my mum said no, she's just always been a mean person. ARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh I feel like calling social services or something! I'm so angry!
Sorry again for the long rant

Comments

• Options
    i feel for you, nobody's nan should be treated like that. i suggest you perhaps let your parents know whats going on with regards to this situation and ask them to perhaps have a quiet word with the bitch of an aunty you've got. also, talking to your nan about whether or not she wants to do anything about it would probably be a good idea. i don't think you should involve social services yet. it could cause more aggro. really you lazy ass cousin should be with his mum as technically she's still got duty of care towards him as he's not 18 yet. but yea, your nan isn't a skivvy so really you need to do something.

good luck!
  • Options
    i wasn't totally serious about social services i was/am just so angry! i've talked to my mom about it and my mom and dad promised me that when they come here in september to send me off to uni they're going to take her back to malaysia with them so she will actually be treated like a human being by everyone. *sigh* i never knew people could be so horrible to their own flesh and blood
  • Options
    thats good to know. malaysia will probably be really good for her, nice and warm and sunny :D
  • Options
    Oh what a horrible situation. Unfortunatly abuse of the elderly is fairly common and the most common place it happens is their own home by a family member
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3639421.stm
    http://www.mccormicks-solicitors.com/articles/get_pdf_data.php?id=56

I dont really have any advice, but im glad your parents are going to take her with them.
    I feel so sorry for your nana. She must be so vulnerable.
    elderly abuse is just as bad as domestic abuse or child abuse.
  • Options
    thank you for those websites. if 3 years ago someone told me elderly abuse = child abuse, i would have thought it was so far fetched. its so cowardly and disgusting especially to your own mother who has brought you up and sacrificed loads for you. a few years ago my grandma desperately needed her gall bladder removed but had to wait on the nhs for it. at the same time this was going on, my aunt went and had a tummy tuck instead of getting my grandma the operation on private. its just madness how people can be so damn heartless