Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How can I gain weight?

I have been trying to gain weight for a while now but nothing seems to stick, I obviously dont want go down the buger/chips/lard diet option because thats going to be really bad for me. I already eat as much as I feel I can at each meal, I dont want to be constantly bloated.

Any tips?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gosh, this is a difficult one. I myself have difficulty gaining weight. I'm not unheathly thin, but i find it difficult to find clothes that fit well. I mainly have to buy childrens clothes, fortunately childrens fashions follow adults, although in some cases i dont agree with this. You could try drinking protein shakes and working out to build up bulk, although this doesn't work with everyone, other than that you obviously dont want to 'pig out' so i'd advise you to see your GP for more accurate advice.
  • Options
    I've spoken to my GP about it and he's done the usual tests and basically shrugged and said 'eat more'.

I've tried those shakes, but they can be quite expensive and they really dont taste great.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    What do you eat on a typical Day?

Im afraid the best way to go about it is to eat more. If you find this hard then it will only become a matter of time until your body gets used to more frequent meals or bigger portions.

Protein shakes do not make you bulk!
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »

Protein shakes do not make you bulk!

I apologise, i'm female and I have only gone by what blokes I know have said.
  • Options
    I apologise, i'm female

:lol: I like that part. Alot of people think that.

budda to gain nice weight your going to have to eat more clean calories, especially at breakfast as you'll be burning alot of it throughout day to day activities. Post up what you normally eat and maybe we can start from there.
  • Options
    :lol: I like that part. Alot of people think that.

budda to gain nice weight your going to have to eat more clean calories, especially at breakfast as you'll be burning alot of it throughout day to day activities. Post up what you normally eat and maybe we can start from there.

LOL Last time i checked i was.

And I agree. Eat more meat and carbs would be a good start and as mother always said 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' lol
  • Options
    This is most likely going to be a stupid suggestion but don't they say that if you eat before going to bed you don't burn the food back off so it kinda turns into fat, wouldn't that mean you'd start to put weight on?
  • Options
    OK, I'll try and paint a relatively typical day;

- Breakfast - 2 mugs coffee, juice and large bowl of oaty sugary cereal with whole milk

- Lunch - large sandwich with ham and cheese

- Afternoon - a small mars bar or two plus an apple or two or a banana or a mixture of those

- Dinner - Large meal of pasta with meat, or a pizza or burittos, that sort of thing, normally with meat and I'll quite often have two full platefuls

- Snack - crisps, nacho's, rieces pieces, small things to snack on basically.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    This is most likely going to be a stupid suggestion but don't they say that if you eat before going to bed you don't burn the food back off so it kinda turns into fat, wouldn't that mean you'd start to put weight on?

I wouldn't advise that tbh, its not stupid, at least you had an idea but it doesn't work. People say this because whilst you sleep your systems slow down so food is digested slower.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »

- Breakfast - 2 mugs coffee, juice and large bowl of oaty sugary cereal with whole milk

- Afternoon - a small mars bar or two plus an apple or two or a banana or a mixture of those

- Dinner - Large meal of pasta with meat, or a pizza or burittos, that sort of thing, normally with meat and I'll quite often have two full platefuls

Well you have a good well balanced diet, and eat plenty so I think you just have a high metabolism and you will probably gain weight in your 30's.
  • Options

Have you never been able to put weight on in your lifetime? I got a mate who can eat all sorts of crap and still remain normal weight.

Don't really know what to suggest there are a few "bad" foods in there but i guess you will have to get used to eating a little bit more. Something between breakfast and lunch maybe.

If all fails you can always have a smoke and let the munchies take over :razz:
  • Options
    Hell yeah i'm diggin that lol
  • Options
    Have you never been able to put weight on in your lifetime? I got a mate who can eat all sorts of crap and still remain normal weight.

Don't really know what to suggest there are a few "bad" foods in there but i guess you will have to get used to eating a little bit more. Something between breakfast and lunch maybe.

If all fails you can always have a smoke and let the munchies take over :razz:

The only times in my adult life I've been able to is when I go to the US, I can pack on a stone there in about 10 days, but I dont think I'd want to follow that diet long term.

I think you might be right, I'll have to start adding things inbetween, grazing a bit more, but its sometimes a bit of a hassle.
  • Options
    The only times in my adult life I've been able to is when I go to the US, I can pack on a stone there in about 10 days, but I dont think I'd want to follow that diet long term.

I think you might be right, I'll have to start adding things inbetween, grazing a bit more, but its sometimes a bit of a hassle.

I know it can seem a bit of a hassle at first, but once you get in to the swing of things you will find yourself hungry if you don't eat in between, its all up from there.

Alternatively you could get some weight gain powders, but i'd say it will be best sticking to more food.
  • Options
    I know it can seem a bit of a hassle at first, but once you get in to the swing of things you will find yourself hungry if you don't eat in between, its all up from there.

Alternatively you could get some weight gain powders, but i'd say it will be best sticking to more food.

Of course, but I've been pushing it for a while now and it doesnt seem to work, maybe I have worms.
  • Options
    *is in exactly yhe same situation* although my GP doesn't seem that concerned. (and he was the one who brought the subject of my weight up in the first place)

I asked about this a while back. I got told that when I have meals, have some slimfast as well.
  • Options
    I've been struggling to ut weight on too. I've had all the blood tests ect and aparently I'm all healthy... So I guess I've just got a fast metabolism.

Like you though, I don't want to put on unhealthy weight.

What I try to do is stuff like when I'm having a meal with potatoes in it, I'll serve what I think I can eat and then add one or two more and force myself to finish them.
    I have a bowl of pasta most days for lunch, which seems to help me keep the weight on.

Hot chocolate before bed. And trying to drink more things that have calories in them, cos usually I just drink water.

Also have a glass of wine with my meal sometimes because it makes me more hungry, plus adds calories.

Started trying to eat pudding too, cos I never really did that before.

I'm not convinced snacking helps really... seems to mess up eating patterns and can stop me feeling like having all my dinner, so I only snack if I'm peckish.

Probably exercising more would help.

More carbs seem to be the way to go for me personally, I don't know if you'd be the same...
    And I guess other than that patience.
    Does sometimes feel like I'm never doing anything but eating... it's gotta make a difference in the end hasn't it?
  • Options
    I've been wanting to put weight on for ages as I was about a stone underweight. I weighed myself for the 1st time for months last night and I've put on 6/7lbs so I'm on my way :D
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Probably exercising more would help.t?

How?:confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    How?:confused:

Builds up muscle. Increases apitite.
  • Options
    switch to decaf coffee.
  • Options
    i'm a recovering anorexic, to help me gain weight my dietician gets me to have three high calorie drinks as my snacks between meals. they're loaded with vitamins and minerals to help with my malnutrition. i don't know if they have them in the UK, but the drinks i have are called "ensure plus", there's also another brand called "resource", they both have about 355 calories per can.

good luck
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    switch to decaf coffee.

You're joking right? I may gain wieght that way but only because I'd never leave my bed.
  • Options
    Something that helped me was to snack on stuff like nuts and seeds. Might be worth a try, if you like them. I put pine nuts in everything savoury, almonds or walnuts on anything sweet, and munched on whole nuts in between.

They reckon a 'snack' amount is equivalent to about 6 walnuts. Fuck that. I can happily consume an entire bag. They're absolutely full of calories and fat but just the good kinds, so your arteries won't explode.

Helped me put on a massive (well, it was massive for me!) 12lbs. Get in. :thumb: