Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Conflict of Interests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you do if one of your partners hobbies is dangerous and something you don't approve of? Try to be supportive or tell them what you think? Him indoors is off to do something utterly stupid this weekend- well, let's just say I think it's stupid, immature and dangerous. He thinks I'm being immature by not being supportive. :banghead: Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Do you mind me asking what it is?

My boyfriend wants to get into sky diving. I'm terrified of the thought of it, but he knows the risks and is an adult, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for holding him back and doing something he'd enjoy. If it was like that case a few months ago of that guy vandilising tubes on the Underground, then obviously it would be a different story.
  • Options
    It's drifting- driving rear wheel cars and making them go sideways. To me its a stupid chavvy thing to do, it's also dangerous as they'll probably be doing it at an empty car park.
  • Options
    Does sound a bit prat like, but not that bad.

Can you not tell him you think it's a chavvy thing to do and leave him be? Don't think I'd go as far as to try and stop him doing it, but I wouldn't come round to thinking it was a good idea.
  • Options
    Does sound a bit prat like, but not that bad.

Can you not tell him you think it's a chavvy thing to do and leave him be? Don't think I'd go as far as to try and stop him doing it, but I wouldn't come round to thinking it was a good idea.

I'm not trying to stop him- I'm just worried and he doesn't understand how concerned I am. He keeps telling me that it'll be 'the same as last time I went- we won't do anything stupid, probably just stand around and talk'. Well, the stories that came back from last time suggest otherwise so I'm reluctant to trust him on that one. I have told him all of this and he just keeps saying the same thing- that it'll be fine and I should trust him. I don't know what to do :confused:
  • Options
    My boyf does fighting twice a week and I hate it. But what can ya do! If I wanted to do something that he didn't like I don't think I'd take too much notice.
  • Options
    Fighting? I assume you don't mean scrapping down the boozer :razz:

It does sound like a daft hobby but when you think about it a lot of hobbies and interests are impossible for people on the outside looking in to understand. I'd explain my reservations to him and hope that he'd bear it in mind, but I wouldn't hold out too high hopes. If there's no conflict he might get bored of it sooner ;)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont know much about drifting, but I cant imagine they can get up to great speeds. So if there was to be a bump, in theory he would only be slightly hurt.

but then that isnt the point I know, but if he has his heart set on it, I dont think you will be able to change it. My boyfriend wants a motorbike, and I am currently talking him out of that one...so I sort of know how you feel.
  • Options
    I like your thinking briggi- and yeah you're right, lipsy, I wouldn't take much notice if the shoe was on the other foot either. He reckons it's only the same as me going to Reading Festival (without him) in that he's worried about me being there- oh I dunno. Men- GRRRRRR!
  • Options
    To be honest, coming from somebody who isn't a chav etc etc etc - drifting is something that requires a lot of skill, and once you've nailed it, it's a fantastic feeling. Just make sure he knows how expensive it will be in tyres, clutches etc - in fact, chances are he'll have to completely modify a suitable RWD car with a drifting diff, suitable suspension etc. This isn't a short-term hobby, nor one for somebody with low finances.

It's not something I really got into, but I know I can hang a decent controlled powerslide... as for the safety thing. Most drifting (at least when starting out) isn't done at high speed, and if he's practising on a nice open area, with nothing to hit - well, what on earth could be dangerous about it??? It's only if he starts drifting through traffic or in restricted conditions when it's lunacy.

Seems to be anything to do with cars is instantly branded 'Chav'. There is no way you can drift in a Corsa! :D
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    My boyfriend wants a motorbike, and I am currently talking him out of that one

Don't. Leigh's got a bike so we could be biker chicks :D
  • Options
    Lol - some of you girls on here are coming across as rather boring!!! :lol: :eek2: Let people have their fun.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Lol - some of you girls on here are coming across as rather boring!!! :lol: :eek2: Let people have their fun.

tut :p
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    tut :p

:flirt:
  • Options

That's a little unfair- I'm sure I speak for everyone else in this thread when I say that we all have fun in our own ways- going to gigs or whatever.

And I don't know what exactly it was he got up to last time, but he called it drifting and it didn't sound like they were in control of the cars particularly, which in my view is unsafe and as such, stupid and dangerous
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Seems to be anything to do with cars is instantly branded 'Chav'. There is no way you can drift in a Corsa! :D

Oi oi! There is nowt wrong with my corsa!! Nor is there any worry of me being a chav! :p
    Rubberskin wrote:
    Don't. Leigh's got a bike so we could be biker chicks

hmm...can we be biker chicks if I wear leather, but he rides a tricycle? :chin:
  • Options
    Does he do this on public roads?
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Fighting? I assume you don't mean scrapping down the boozer :razz:

:lol: That's what I was gonna say.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    That's a little unfair- I'm sure I speak for everyone else in this thread when I say that we all have fun in our own ways- going to gigs or whatever.

And I don't know what exactly it was he got up to last time, but he called it drifting and it didn't sound like they were in control of the cars particularly, which in my view is unsafe and as such, stupid and dangerous

The boy has to learn somehow, and as long as he is not endangering other people, then it should be ok. The chances of rolling a car are minimal, and he shouldn't be going quickly, and so stopping won't be a problem.

Inform him there are drift schools out there, and it may be worth him trying one of those.

What car does he drive? It could be completely unsuitable...

Oh, and I did laugh at this bit:

Bit of a difference between going to a gig and drifting. Sounds like he's just chosen to try something a bit more exciting. For some people, gigs or whatever ARE just boring... So, I don't think it was unfair at all.

Without being funny, I know a lot of my friends (usually girls) who've had issues with their partners (usually boys) new hobbies are usually more upset if the new interest doesn't involve them... They feel left out etc as it's not something they can share in.
  • Options
    Without being funny, I know a lot of my friends (usually girls) who've had issues with their partners (usually boys) new hobbies are usually more upset if the new interest doesn't involve them... They feel left out etc as it's not something they can share in.

Yeah I bet that's true for a lot of people.

And no not pub brawls :P He's just training at the moment. I still hate it though!
  • Options
    he rides his motorbike and i point horses at stupidly big jumps. i guess it balances out, but to be honest I wouldn't be bothered if it didn't. I like guys who have some level of physical courage and a bit of a risk taking instinct - makes life much more exciting :D

Plus I figure you could get run over crossing the road - so why not live life to the full and get that adrenaline pumping once in a while :yes:
  • Options
    Drifting isn't dangerous, unless he's drifting off the end of Beachy Head.

Driving fast is one of life's pleasures, when you do it properly. Fuck the police, and fuck the safety whingebags, so long as I'm not driving too fast for the road what on earth does it matter?

My ambition is to drive the Nurburgring in something very powerful. Best get saving...
  • Options
    Yeh such a chavvy thing to do. :rolleyes: Hate that word "chav"

Drifting is not stupid if you're a skilled driver.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

My ambition is to drive the Nurburgring in something very powerful. Best get saving...

You know - that's one thing I never got to do in my Zed. :(

Same boat as you now, time to save for another fast car (after paying some other crap off, that is!).
  • Options
    Been there done that, still here to talk about it...

He'll grow out of it, we all do. Just so long as he's not doing it in a place where he endangers other people.