Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stopping curls dropping.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I curl my hair (which is mostly extensions) all the time with my ghds and tongs, and I end up with a really bouncy, fat-curled result, but it only lasts about an hour before it falls into loose waves.

I dunno what to do to keep them tight; I always spray each curl with flexible hold hairspray directly after curling it, but I think my hairs too long to hold it.

Mousse seems to make my hair get really tangley and frizzy when I'm outside..

Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Options
    perming!

seriously it's the only thing that really works!...i had my hair permed in march and it's still wavy, so it's definatly worth it

otherwise, frizz ease is good, but nothing will keep the hair curly for long
  • Options
    Eeeeee I don't want it permed, er, permenantly! I just curl it every other day at the mo.

Frizz ease as in the serum, or the other styling prods? At the mo I have Toni & Guy serum which is a bit crap, and I think makes my curls heavier, and a 'Label M' one, which is only marginally better.

My natural hair's wavy, so it keeps curls pretty well, but my extensions are straight, and therefore muy problematico.
  • Options
    Try spraying them with hair spray, or even better a specific curl/styling spray before you run the straighteners or tongs through your hair, on my silly dvd i got with my ghds in the curling bit they said to use the styling spray first, so it must work to an extent.
  • Options
    if you want straight hair then use straighteners, thats would do, but i don't own straighteners
  • Options
    The only way I know how to curl hair well is to use rollers and doing a set. Letting the set cool down completely before taking out the rollers, with make the set last a long time.

When I have my hair set at college, it stays curly for days and that's not even using stying products before or after.

I suggest buying yourself a set of rollers and having a go with them.
  • Options
    people recommend lackering it with hairspray but i find that makes them drop out quicker, and when they do, they dont drop in a nice, natural manner, more of a stiff curl

cant really advise as my hair always drops when i curl it

BUT I make it last longer by washing it the night before, leaving it to dry naturally (which makes mine a bit curly) then wacking a few curls in as well as the natural ones, that way, when they do drop, they dont drop straight coz the hair wasnt straight to begin with

hope that makes sense lol
  • Options
    The only way I know how to curl hair well is to use rollers and doing a set. Letting the set cool down completely before taking out the rollers, with make the set last a long time.

When I have my hair set at college, it stays curly for days and that's not even using stying products before or after.

I suggest buying yourself a set of rollers and having a go with them.

I wanted to get my hair curled for a party and I told the hairdresser that I would need a shampoo and set (the only other person i know who has one is my nan) - but they got all confused and just curled it with GHD's and used loads of laquer - needless to say it all dropped out on the way to the party in the rain and my hair was poker straight for days afterwards which is mad as its usually curlyish...

So maybe enquire where your nan/other older relative gets her hair done!
  • Options
    It's so silly! We do sets as part of our curriculum (as it were) and they make stunning curls - not the old fashioned sort at all, a really bouncy, sexy curl which lasts and lasts.

I suppose it takes more effort to teach someone how to set hair, than it does to whip the GHD's out. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Am I the only one thats weirded out that a hairdresser uses straighteners to curl hair and not just a normal curling iron? Unless this ghd makes curling irons. That would make much more sense. I don't see any on the site though.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Am I the only one thats weirded out that a hairdresser uses straighteners to curl hair and not just a normal curling iron? Unless this ghd makes curling irons. That would make much more sense.

ghds can be used just like curling tongues. :)