Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Benefits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, just after a bit of advice really... me and my boyfriend have just moved out into a rented house (£725pcm) and we're 19 and 23. Between us we earn £24,500 a year before tax. I'm on £10.5k and he's on £14k. I work around 35-38 hours a week, and he works 39 hours a week. I've had a few people mention that we'd be eligible for some kind of benefits because of low wages or something, but I'm a bit confused! Does anybody know what kind of benefits, if any, I could be claiming to help with rent or bills or anything like that?

Comments

• Options
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/index.htm

Until someone with better advice comes along, the above website will give you some info :)
  • Options
    That's a very expensive property for your income!
    I live in an old victorian 4 bed house for only 665!
  • Options
    Do you have children? If you don't then you won't be eligible for working tax credits until you are 25. When you are 25 you may be entitled to some working tax credit, but it would depend on your income then. It is your joint income that is measured.

You earn too much for any other means tested benefit that I can think of, particularly as the rates for under-25s are far more restrictive. I certainly don't think that you'd be entitled to housing benefit or council tax benefit on that joint income.

If you want a full benefits assessment give CLS Direct a call on 0845 345 4345, or have a look at http://www.entitledto.co.uk
  • Options
    Your income joint is not that low at all so like Kermit said you won't be intitled to housing benfit or council tax benefit.
    Why not get a cheaper place to rent?
  • Options
    I don't know what the housing market is like in Berkshire, but that seems like a lot of money for two sharing adults to spend on renting, especially if they're then going to struggle.
  • Options
    That sounds like a reasonable income so I don't think it would be classified as a 'low income' therefore, you wouldn't be entitled to anything.

How low does your income have to be though to be classified as a 'low income' as there isn't any specific figures out there that I can see.

Just go for a cheaper house as that seems like a silly amount to be paying and I'm sure there is cheaper places about? Does that figure include bills? I'm moving into a place tomorrow that is a tad expensive (£346 a month rent including council tax with about £30 bills on top each month - this is just for a room :p) but I know I can afford it earning what I am currently earning.
  • Options
    How low does your income have to be though to be classified as a 'low income' as there isn't any specific figures out there that I can see.

It depends on your age and your circumstances, but benefits entitlements for under 25s are very very poor. Income-based JSA for under 25s gives you about £45 per week, and that's what the Government think you need to live on. Income-based JSA does give you other benefits, but even benefits like housing benefit are restricted for those under the age of 25 (if you're a single person under 25 you'll only get enough to rent a room in a house).

The upper threshold for Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit is actually fairly high, but you are barred from receiving Working Tax Credit until you're 25 (unless you have children).
  • Options
    Ahhhh. I was thinking about housing benefit, not working tax credits (I don't know anything about those!). I know that JSA/IS can act as a passport for help with housing costs but if you are earning, are the rules regarding your income pretty much the same as you described above?

I have so much to learn. Still, I've got about a year to learn it all properly until I start applying for proper jobs, hehe. I've only really learnt about IB, JSA, DLA and IS in detail in my Social Security Law module, lol.
  • Options
    To claim working tax credit when you have no children, you have to be over the age of 25, working at least 30 hrs a week with an income of less than £11.5k a year.

If you have one child, working tax credit appears to dry up around the 15k per annum mark. The upper threshold for the child tax credit element is 60k per year.

Snow white - what on earth is DSA??
  • Options
    Disability Living Allowance.

I meant to say DLA not DSA, lol. Sorry!
  • Options
    Ahhh LOL! Thought I might have been missing out on something there!

I don't think the original poster would be entitled to any state benefits - on paper that is a healthy joint income - of course I know it doesn't stretch far as everyone lives to their means etc. It's more money than I have coming in though LOL
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    That's a very expensive property for your income!
    I live in an old victorian 4 bed house for only 665!

Thats really cheap though. Round here that would be about a grand.
  • Options
    Thats really cheap though. Round here that would be about a grand.

True, it is quite cheap, there are more expensive areas in Derby though were this house would cost a lot more.
  • Options
    Ahhhh. I was thinking about housing benefit, not working tax credits (I don't know anything about those!). I know that JSA/IS can act as a passport for help with housing costs but if you are earning, are the rules regarding your income pretty much the same as you described above?

If you're on Income Support or income-based JSA you do "passport" to other benefits, such as free legal assistance, free prescriptions, and housing benefit. Contributions-based JSA doesn't passport, just to confuse things. Income Support is for those who can't work (e.g. they are sole carer for a child), IBJSA is for those who can.

IS/IBJSA is calculated depending on your circumstances- if you have caring responsibilities you get more, if you are a couple you get more, if you're over the age of 25 you get more, etc etc. For a couple where both partners are under 25 and there are no disabilities, caring responsibilities or children, the maximum entitlement is about £90 per week. The first tenner you earn is disregarded, so in effect if the couple earns more than £100 per week then they're not entitled to IBJSA or IS. Income isn't just earnings- tax credits and child maintenance can also count as income in many situations.
  • Options
    Why can't someone get working tax credit until they're 25 unless they have a child?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Why can't someone get working tax credit until they're 25 unless they have a child?

Well a lot of benefits are reduced for under 25s e.g. income support and housing benefit are.
  • Options
    Because the Government says so.

The benefits law for under-25s sucks hairy balls, to be quite frank. You're not eligible for a whole raft of benefits, such as WTC, and the benefits that you are eligible for are severely restricted.

Housing benefit, for instance, has a lovely restriction on the under-25s which says that it will only be paid at the rate in which you could rent one room in a shared house, i.e. they'll only pay enough to put you in a bedsit or shared house.
  • Options
    I don't see why a person under 25 should get less help than someone over 25 with the same income. It's the under 25s that need the most help!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I don't see why a person under 25 should get less help than someone over 25 with the same income. It's the under 25s that need the most help!

Why do you think that?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

Lower wages in general, the impossible housing market, debts etc. I just don't understand why the under 25s get less help.
  • Options
    I suspect it is to do with the assumption that at that age they are more willing/likely to put up with/in reasonable to expect them to live in a shared house, scrimp by and get support from parents.
  • Options
    Does anybody know what kind of benefits, if any, I could be claiming to help with rent or bills or anything like that?

Hey, to be honest I don't think you would be entitled to any help. No harm in finding out though.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Due to my lack of job and the end of my course looming I shall hi-jack this thread, like the dirty thread hi-jacker I am and pose the question, Where do I go to sign on?
  • Options
    the local dole office and get a fresh claims form

its a tad depressing mind you!
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    the local dole office and get a fresh claims form

its a tad depressing mind you!

really? but its money, and thats what I need. As I have too much 'minus' money to survive!

How do I find out where the local dole office is? I dont know anyone who is on JSA.
    Also, is it all dependent on where you live? or can I move?

I am movin to Burnley in less than a month, but I would like some money as soon as possible.
  • Options
    get the yellow pages out and ring em up or google it!
  • Options
    I thought you had to go to the job centre? There's some information on the website. (if you're only going for JSA I think)
  • Options
    aah well I know where the Job Centre is, so I shall just pop along there.
  • Options
    Your local JobCentrePlus, or you can ring the Benefits Enquiry Line and apply through that.

If you qualify for income-based JSA you'll also passport to other benefits, such as housing benefits and free prescriptions. Be careful if you're living with the boy and you declare him as your partner- if he earns more than £100 a week net then there's no point you signing on as you'll be entitled to nowt.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    really? but its money, and thats what I need. As I have too much 'minus' money to survive!

How do I find out where the local dole office is? I dont know anyone who is on JSA.
    Also, is it all dependent on where you live? or can I move?

I am movin to Burnley in less than a month, but I would like some money as soon as possible.

Start the claim where you are and then they can transfer it when you move.

Your local jobcentreplus isn't necessarily the one geographically closest to your house, they each have catchment areas.