Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Why hasn't religion be sued?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
A dodgy fella selling you something that claims will make you rich will get in deep shit, yet it's ok for religious folk to sell us stuff they cannot justify or deliver.

Why is that? Because it's to much of a good scam that everyone believes in?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well you don't "buy" a religion do you?
    Religion is something you choose to believe in, if you don't then whats the problem?
    People have religion for their own reasons I think, we can't say that it's just a big con. Esecially when you don't have to give anything up, it's a personal decision if you believe or not isn't it? It doesn't really concern anyone except you and God / Allah / Jesus / Yoda.

I admit some cults are a bit dodgy. We've got one christian group round here and they all give insane amounts of money to it, and their church is really high security, they wear blue headscarves and drive big 4 x 4s with blacked out windows... :nervous:
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Well you don't "buy" a religion do you?

I didn't say you buy religion. It's the lies you pay for.
    Makoto wrote: »
    I didn't say you buy religion. It's the lies you pay for.

They're not necessarily lies though!

Technically it's impossible to disprove something :p, since you can only prove something is true. But logic geekiness aside, it's someones faith. A major part of their life. And there's no legitimate reason (other than it seems unlikely) that God doesn't exist. Not to say there's any evidence he does exist, but it's up in the air. So people are entitled to believe what they like.
    Like others have said, you can sue for misadvertising of goods, but that's not what religions do.

They promote a set of beliefs, you're not a consumer or a customer in anyway.
    xsazx wrote: »
    and there's no proof that it is "lies" so you haven't got anything to go on

And what about the healers? They don't heal you do they.

A perfect example of corporate religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D74VHiVLROM
    Well given that you only find out for certain, one way of another, only after you've died, I'd say it was difficult to find anyone who could sue...
    xsazx wrote: »
    because it's false advertising under consumer rights you can sue

"religious folk" don't "sell" you something as in a material object that you're forced to pay money for - and there's no proof that it is "lies" so you haven't got anything to go on

You do in scientology...
    Scientology isn't universally recognised as a religion.
    What exactly has religion done wrong?
    All right with televaglist or what ever, They cant be sued. You have to pay to get into these events. Now you cant prove there is no god, but what you can prove is that they are selling you and Idea with no money back garentee.

Now on scientology. Yes they do sell stuff on the pretense that its a godly formula. I've seen such products. Do they work, who knows they dont ever say on the bottle that they will work. A great things this "results may veary" thing is.

On a final note. In truth and light of the situation look for such things as the rapture in the bible. and other things. there is no mention of these in fact. alot of these ideoligies where born in the united states. Muslim is suppose to be a open religion, then why do i have to learn a new language? Realy when you read of such things. Apply logic and reason to them. Then make a decision. Or else if you donated you will never see your money agian,
    Makoto wrote: »
    A dodgy fella selling you something that claims will make you rich will get in deep shit, yet it's ok for religious folk to sell us stuff they cannot justify or deliver.
    If you wanted to sue an entire religion, where on earth would you send the legal papers?
    Someone did sue the vatican, but I'm not sure what happened. It's pretty simple. A religion is a set of beliefs. You can't sell a set of beliefs or have copyright on them, or whatever. So anything that is sold, isn't a religion (though it may be based on religious ideas) it's some sort of self-help thing. You could ask the same question as to why astrologers, or double your dating skills writers, or growth pill makers, or scientologists haven't been sued when people realised that they were all bullshit with no scientific basis. I don't know the answer other than maybe the people conned into buying these things were too stupid to notice that they didn't work.
    I agree, even if religion is wrong (i dont know) you cant sue an idea. So im with stupid on this one...hmmm.