Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I don't know where this is classed under..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
However my Granpa died on holiday in Spain this morning. He had a heart attack 12 years ago and damaged around 80% of his heart, he had a small one this morning after being in a Spanish hospital for a chest infection a few days ago aged 91, so he's had good innings on his life.

My aunts and uncles are over there just now, and they have to fly out tonight since there's a lot of paperwork preventing his body from being flown back to Glasgow to have a funeral. It's taking about a week.

Has this happened to anyone else or is there a workaround they could try to get him to come home sooner?

My Mam is in bits as she's so ill with health herself that she couldn't fly out, plus it's her birthday today. My Nana died when I was 14, and the funeral was held on May the 20th - my parent's wedding anniversary.

She feels as though sod's law is doing an almighty turd on her regarding her parents and she's freaking out about how it's 'her generation's turn next'. Anyways, I want to try and calm her nerves a bit by perhaps knowing if this had happened to anyone else and how it was dealt with?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't know what to suggest about the situation really but just wanted to say that I hope you and your family are ok.
  • Options
    My ex's best mate died on holiday and it took around a week for his body to be flown home, I'm not sure if that's standard practice or what... there was a police investigation involved in his case, so it's probably quite different. Regardless, it seems there's a shitload of bureaucracy to deal with, but I sincerely hope you can get it sorted more quickly than that.

Sorry, I'm useless on the advice front, I'm sure someone else will be more helpful than a chocolate teapot. Just wanted to say look after yourself as well as your mam, I'm really sorry for your loss hon. Am thinking of you and yours, you're right that he did have a damn good innings though :heart:
  • Options
    Nothing really very useful to day, I'm guessing you've tried asking the embassay/consulate for their advice though? If not they'd be worth a shot.

I suspect a week is about the time frame you're looking at, hard though it might seem.

Look after your mum and look after yourself. Take care.

xx
  • Options
    Oh Im real sorry to hear that. It makes everything so much more stressful that he died abroad. I dont have any experience of this however there is a bit of paperwork (insurance etc) to be sorted first. They will do their best to get your Grandad back to Glasgow as soon as possible though. I very much doubt their is any way of getting your Grandad back any quicker than a week. The are so many rules and papers to be completed before anything can happen.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Nothing really very useful to day, I'm guessing you've tried asking the embassay/consulate for their advice though? If not they'd be worth a shot.

I suspect a week is about the time frame you're looking at, hard though it might seem.

Look after your mum and look after yourself. Take care.

xx

It's a nightmare trying to get through to anyone's mobile over there. My Aunts are flying back home tonight with the kids and my Uncle and other Aunt - who's the more efficient under pressure out the lot of them - is staying over to try and sort something out.

They've been told it takes a week given the paperwork that has to be arranged and there's not much they can do about it but it seems so harsh to leave my wee Granpa all alone out there. I know he's not really 'there' but you know what I mean.

Cheers, folks. xxxx
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont know if it would do much good, but perhaps call citizen's advice or even speak to a funeral director who may have been in or heard of this position before.

I am so sorry though sweetheart, but I wouldnt mind getting to 91 and still jetting off on holiday :)

I am thinking of you, take care.

xx